Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My thoughts on Halloween 2007...

United States
    Yes, straight from a video interview I watched with RZ & Tyler Mane, Mane confirmed he did indeed sign up for part 2 while Rob said there was no way he'd be involved in part 2 as he wanted to make a movie with a beginning, middle, end, and leave it alone from there.

MAJOR ENDING SPOILER ALERT BELOW! Read at your own risk.

MZ, the ending of the theatrical cut was COMPLETELY different from the Workprint, however, Michael still bought the farm in a way that I can't see any way he would survive what happened to him. In the Workprint, he was shot to death in the front yard - in the theatrical, Michael Kills loomis in the front yard how I described in the post above. Laruie runs in the house to escape. Michael chases Laurie (after a WAY too long and drawn out cat-stalking-the-mouse sequence in the house) to the top floor of the house and rusher her - they both go through a top floor window together and crash to the ground, seemingly out cold for a few seconds. Then, Laruie sits up, straddles Michael who's laying on the ground and grabs the gun she was trying to load before they fell and puts it point-blank to his face and pulls the trigger.. <click> nothing. She pulls again. <click> nothing. Michael comes to, grabs her hand, and as he does, she struggles for a sec and then pulls the trigger... <BAM!> the gun goes off point blank in his face, effectively killing him dead with a point-blank gunshot to the face. They only thing they show is Laurie with the gun pull the trigger, and when it goes off, she gets DOUSED in blood and starts screaming her ass off. The End. IT FU*KING SUCKED! I mean, c'mon, how the fu*k do you kill LOOMIS in part 1?

*urge to kill, rising*

The one thing funny that Mane said was "I signed on to part two because I thought you were involved (points at Rob)" Rob says "nope, I'm not doing another" and Mane replies with "Well, that changes everything"
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 13-Sep-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, poor old Mane eh?

I guess he should have consulted rather than assumed.

It sounds as if RZ didn't have a superb ride making this film, studio interference perhaps? Plus, he was saying he got all strung out as he was also making his animated film at the same time, which he had to put on the shelf for a bit in order to finish Halloween...so...I guess he wasn't as focussed as he would have liked to have been.

Plus, perhaps RZ works best with his own content. That said, if the whole film had been like the first half, then it would have been much better, but still, aside from the rather ropey second half, I still dug it because there were plenty of things in it that I really liked.

And get ready to sh*t your ass, but I totally dug the new Loomis, because - for one thing - it wasn't a Donald Pleasance impersonation. I liked the somewhat hippy-doc vibe before it updates to present day and he's gone all "Gangster No. 1" look. I reckon there were suits and producers getting their faces and opinions shoved in all over the place, plus hectic schedules and pressures and all sorts of things.

With TDR it just sounds like it was RZ and his merry band of dedicated cast & crew just sauntered off into the desert for a month and came back kicking & screaming with the end result - a superb film.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    And get ready to sh*t your ass, but I totally dug the new Loomis, because - for one thing - it wasn't a Donald Pleasance impersonation.
    *grabs a newspaper, rolls it up and smacks MZ on the nose repeatedly like a dog*

NO! NO, MZ, NO!

Ok, I'll give you this - I'm glad McDowell didn't "imitate" Pleasance. Even setting aside that you're trying to replace the unreplaceable, he still didn't do a good job. That could've been a crappy script, or it could've been crappy acting, I dunno, but it wasn't good. There were some good pieces of dialouge from him ('The darkest souls are not those which exsist within the hell of the abyss, but those which break free of the abyss and move silently among us' - now THAT was a good line, but probably the only one I would ever quote as being 'good') but, overall, he just fell so short of the character itself. Most of his lines were just... hokey and flat out goofy. Not to mention, McDowell didn't display anywhere near the desperation that Pleasance did as far as needing to stop Michael. It just felt "phoned in" so-to-speak.

I was shocked to all hell that McDowell said he never saw the original. Are there people out there that have still not seen the original Halloween?! BLASPHEMY I SAY!!!!

This is just IMO, as it seems the movie has done fantastically well. That, however, I chalk up to an ignorant movie-going public - which is another topic for another time.

United States

mmm...not sure about another one....

If I were in charge of remaking Halloween, or could have gave RZ some suggestions, I would have just made it a three and a half hour killfest, with the prequel elements, then the "re-envisioning" of Halloween and Halloween 2 thrown in, to make it all one super-long gore-frenzy shocker...that'd would've really rocked.

As much as I enjoyed RZ's take on Halloween, I don't have a good feeling about a sequel...how the hell are they going to bring both Loomis and Michael back? Another director?!?!? Don't know about that either...stupid money-grubbing corporate di*kholes are gonna fu*k this up. I could be wrong, but it's gonna take a hell of a lot to doctor up the ending of the first one to begin a sequel that takes place right where the first left off.

Speaking of the first one, it's gonna come out on DVD December 18th...why not rush it out and let us get our paws on it to watch on Halloween night, not the week before Christmas? WTF?

Oh well...guess that's why I'm not a big fat cat film company executive...too much common sense
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 13-Sep-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    But Xmas tis the season to buy each other DVDs!

My family usually ends up buying each other DVD box sets, haha.

DVD sales go nuts at Xmas, so it makes sense to bring it out then. As for releasing it, they should have theatrically done it on Halloween, there's a whole marketing ploy around that...but oh well...

Lou - ach, there's loads of people who haven't seen key movies, or what others view to be key movies. I was talking to a bloke I was working with t'other day, and he'd not seen Casablanca, he hadn't seen Aliens, he hadn't seen Citizen Kane and he hadn't seen Dawn-of-the-motherf*ckin'-Dead!

Super Moderator

United States
    Okay, MZ, you've convinced me to bother giving this film a chance. If it has some decent aspects to it, I can invest the time to see if it will be to my particular liking.

As you say, it's polarizing and therein--for me--says that there must be something to the film that appeals to enough people for it to be worth a try.

Still, I'll wait till it's out on DVD or I can order it on-demand.

Thanks.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    found a funny youtube vid making fun of halloween 2007 the other day. as much as i enjoyed rz's take on the story of michael myers, i still got a good laugh out of this:

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    found a funny youtube vid making fun of halloween 2007 the other day. as much as i enjoyed rz's take on the story of michael myers, i still got a good laugh out of this:

I too actually quite liked it, even if the second half was a bit weak, but that video is rather funny.

I think he's best sticking to his own films though, and I'm looking forward to see T-Rex when he gets to it (he's not started writing it yet apparently).

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

I missed that video before. I like Zombie's Halloween(more than the original), but that is some funny stuff.

Anywho.... Zombie seems to speak before he thinks. He once said he would never do a remake and then he made Halloween. Then later he said there was no way he would do a sequel because his film was the end of the story....but now he's apparently working on Halloween 2.

http://joblo.com/halloween-2-poster
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Dec-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

I missed that video before. I like Zombie's Halloween(more than the original), but that is some funny stuff.

Anywho.... Zombie seems to speak before he thinks. He once said he would never do a remake and then he made Halloween. Then later he said there was no way he would do a sequel because his film was the end of the story....but now he's apparently working on Halloween 2.

http://joblo.com/halloween-2-poster
    Aye I know, I was reading about that and just thought "wtf are you doing?"

I want T-Rex from him, not Halloween 2.

At the very least, give us that animated film that's been going nowhere for ages ... and I was pissed to hear that a full-on extras-laden 3 Disc DVD of Halloween 2007 is coming out with an epic making of (a la Devil's Reject), so here I am with my 2 Disc bought a year ago...cheers Dimension, yeah, ta muchly.

United States
    yeah, that 3-disc set was released in the states right before halloween this year. from what i can tell, it's basically the 2-disc set with the 3rd disc (making of) thrown in a new package.

looking forward to halloween 2, as long as it's done right....but i as i've stated previously, i think halloween 1 & 2 are the only ones that are worth watching, and that's where the story ends in my book.(i just pretend loomis and myers died in the hospital explosion, end of....)and i really wish that rz had spent less time on little mikey's childhood and made an epic film that combined the story of the first two films into a three hour bloodbath of mayhem and violence.

i quite enjoyed the remake and think they could make a halloween 2 which is pretty true to the original...but after that, they should let it be. we don't need another story about internet contests ran by busta rhymes taking place in the old myers house, or michael chasing down his sister's dogsitter's step-kids, or whatever ludicrous plots they were coming up with. leave it at h2.

on a side note, my michael myers mask arrived a few weeks back (ordered too late for halloween) and looks great. it is practically identical to the mask used in the original film, not one of the crappy looking ones from any of the numerous sequels. i'll try to post some pics soon.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 19-Dec-2008 at 08:42 PM.