Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death Proof (extended)...

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, David Schwimmer directed, and Hank Azaria plays a role in the film.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the proper pimped-out version of a Grindhouse DVD comes around Xmas, hopefully it should, it's sitting roughly in the same time schedule as Sin City did, and with the separate releases already done the work is kinda half-done for the final awesome version already.

Plus, with Xmas being a key DVD buying season, it'd make sense to pimp it out in time for Xmas, or at least just after when everybody's minted from monetary gifts from relatives.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, but if I remember correctly, wasn't the Special Edition of Sin City announced the same time as the bare bones release?

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    I'm disappointed that Death Proof and Planet Terror are being released seperately. I wanted to see Grindhouse released as a single movie, just as it was shown in American theaters.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalLoco View Post
    I'm disappointed that Death Proof and Planet Terror are being released seperately. I wanted to see Grindhouse released as a single movie, just as it was shown in American theaters.

Look up the page just a bit. MinionZombie said that Tarantino stated in an interview that we will eventually get the full Grindhouse film. Just when that is, we don't know...

Dead

Undisclosed
    I just picked up the steelbook case of Death Proof at Best Buy and I'll give it a watch tonight. Hopefully the new footage will make it worth watching the movie separately.

My money says they won't release the full Grindhouse movie on dvd until next year at the earliest. I know in November or December they are finally releasing the full, uncut version of Kill Bill (took Tarantino long enough on that one) and I don't think they will release Grindhouse around the same time.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The budget was $67,000,000 for Grindhouse + $30,000,000 in marketing for a Grand Total of $97,000,000.00
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Well yeah that is true, but it was always intended from the start to show the extended versions, and with Grindhouse it was always intended to be split in foreign-language markets - but the UK ended up getting lumped in too because of the poor B/O result.

But of course, the original Sin City disc was naff, just the original film and nothing else. But with Grindhouse's separate releases, they would wanna keep their gobs shut about it more until those separate ones are out for a bit, especially as some effort has been expended on them (unlike the Sin City one).

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the proper one comes out sooner rather than later, not like having to wait to frickin' 2008 for the proper-ass Zodiac release!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just now finished watching the single release of "Death Proof" and regardless of whether or not it's included with the full "Grindhouse" feature next year, it was worth it.

All together, Tarantino made an interesting film with this one. There were several scenes that I didn't remember from the theatrical release(the ads say 25 mins worth), and the film felt more complete in it's own terms.

I still look forward to seeing the full "Grindhouse" again, but I just now had a blast watching Tarantino's "Death Proof" in it's Cannes cut.

I can't wait to see "Planet Terror" and it's 'missing reel' because I know the sh*t hits the fan in that one.

On a side note, I remember reading on this very website that the DVD releases of these films would not have the damaged footage, the scratched reels, and the missing frames......whoever said that was completely wrong. I just watched the "Death Proof" that I saw in cinemas, only with more scenes.

I say that this one is worth the purchase. ( it also comes with $5 off of "Planet Terror" )

Super Moderator

United States
    I have a feeling a friend will be bringing up downloaded copies of 28 Weeks Later and Grindhouse on the annual trip to the cabin by the lake that I do with friends. I can't wait to see both again

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Who on earth said it was being cleaned up for DVD?!

That's ludicrous, it's part of the movie.

Anyway, high five for Death Proof: Extended. I'm still holding out for the balls-out DVD though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Who on earth said it was being cleaned up for DVD?!

That's ludicrous, it's part of the movie.
    I don't know, but I remember arguing with someone about that....

Anyway, if you have the opportunity to see this cut of "Death Proof".....I would say definitely check it out. It may or may not be with the "Grindhouse" DVD, so it's worth seeing now with it's extra 30 minutes.(I think theres also a change in music as well as the editing)

ViP

United States
    Amazing Film! It works much better as a standalone film and the extra scenes were vital. I had a great time watching this last night. I will buy the complete Grindhouse DVD when it comes out but I know that the shorter versions will annoy me. I'd rather them combine the extended versions with the trailers (assuming the extended Planet Terror is worth a $hit).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Amazing Film! It works much better as a standalone film and the extra scenes were vital. I had a great time watching this last night. I will buy the complete Grindhouse DVD when it comes out but I know that the shorter versions will annoy me. I'd rather them combine the extended versions with the trailers (assuming the extended Planet Terror is worth a $hit).
    It would be great if the special edition dvd gives us the choice of what we want to watch. The whole "Grindhouse" film we saw in theaters, the seperate and longer films, or the seperate longer films also with the trailers.

It's not that far of a stretch considering that Rodriquez recut and seperated the segments of "Sin City" for the special edition.

But yeah, I agree with you. "Death Proof" is much better as it's own film. Being that you've seen it, I have a question.....

Why does the film go black and white during the new scenes at the gas station? Is that supposed to be adding to the grindhouse feel or is there some sort of significance being that Stuntman Mike is starting to prey on his next set of ladies?

Super Moderator

UK

I kinda thought it might be another reel, but "printed in black and white", of course, the problem with that theory is that the transition comes in the middle of a shot, so it seems unlikely to be that...I duno, I guess it's like "part of the print was done wrong" or something. What always confuses me is why the gritty print quality almost vanishes entirely in the second half ... is it supposed to be like a never-finished sequel tacked on to a re-edit of the 'original' Stuntman Mike film? I duno...I kinda thought maybe that's part of the 'story behind Death Proof' within the Grindhouse universe, especially as the original title to DP is "Thunder Bolt" and it cuts to the white-on-black title card...hmmm...

Indeed - the DVD as you described is exactly what I want, I wanna choose how I watch it. Theatrical, or theatrical-extended, or separately.

Then more discs for all the extras. You could surely cram it all into 4 discs...oh yes that would be nice.

ViP

United States
    Bassman, I have no idea but I thought it was cool as hell.

MZ, I think the reason that the grainyness ceases in the 2nd half is because the first reel(s) take the brunt of the damage, and the projector is warm and running smooth by the last reel(s). Just a guess.