Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Romero's recent films......

United States
    If all of them are making bad films, then I think it's the audience rather than the filmmakers.
    Amen to that. Most audiences today have the attention spans of of gold fish so they need fast in-your-face action sequences with little development of characters or backstory.

Me personally, I don't want to see a movie about "Here's John. Here's what he does in X situation." I want to see "Here's John. Here's a little about John. OMG, something happens to John! Here's a little more about John. Here is John dealing with X situation. This is a little insight into John's mind. This is the ending of the movie. Bye John."

And say what you want about Fast and the Furious, but at least you got an insight into the minds of the 2 main characters. Not so with other movies I could mention.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    With all due respect, what do you expect him to say if he wants to continue working with Universal?
    Romero is not known for hiding his feelings.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post

I often get the feeling that too many people want him to make Night or Dawn over and over again for the rest of his career/life....
    Wow looks like I'm not alone. I've actually seen people bash Romero's other films just because they are not like Dawn. Yes even Night!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057 View Post
    Me personally, I don't want to see a movie about "Here's John. Here's what he does in X situation." I want to see "Here's John. Here's a little about John. OMG, something happens to John! Here's a little more about John. Here is John dealing with X situation. This is a little insight into John's mind. This is the ending of the movie. Bye John."
    There was none of that in Romero's zombie movies. Why does everyone think there was?

You got two (if that) lines of backstory on each character, and you have to draw your own conclusions as to what goes on in their heads.

United States

We all do, or else we're accused of not giving said mindless piece o' crap "a chance." Don't feel too badly, though--my generation still has a lot of apologizing to do for E.T. before we can complain about the youth of today.
    E.T.? Why does that sound so familiar....

Super Moderator

UK
    What's wrong with E.T.?

I loved it as a kid, then hated it as an older kid/teenager...then when I was at Uni and on the Lucas & Spielberg course we watched it and it was superb, one of the most heart-breaking films I'd seen in a long while...no idea why I ended up hating it for all those years, but I think it's an excellent film again now.

United States
    Ok, so Land isn't Romero's best work. Please remember that unlike his other films he did not edit this one. A lot of good or damage can be done to a film at the editing stage, and if nothing else Romero is a master editor. Whoever edited Land, in my mind, is largely responsible for making it seem like a made for TV special.

For what it is worth, I did not detest Land, or Bruiser. Maybe not his best work, but far far better than a lot of the crap the studios are churning out with bigger budgets nowdays.

As far as Romero losing his edge, I will wait until I see Diary before I sound off on that.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    What's wrong with E.T.?
    There's a lot wrong with E.T., the ham-fisted attempt to tug at the audience's heartstrings one of them. Like Jaws and Close Encounters, the film begins like a excellent B-movie, but unlike those former films, the second half quickly descends into Sappyville. My reaction was the exact opposite of yours -- I loved E.T. when I first saw it as a teenager and then wanted to kill myself upon the second viewing. I still don't know why I own the DVD.

Don't forget that this is the movie that basically sunk Carpenter's The Thing theatrically. It was the predecessor to all the sappy, feel-good 80s Reagan-era garbage that is best forgotten, which is ironic because Spielberg originally wanted to make a movie about hostile aliens following Close Encounters. The reason that he changed gears is odd, too; if I recall correctly, there was a lawsuit over it that was settled out of court.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 13-Jan-2008 at 02:50 PM.

United States
    I never saw E.T. until I was older, because it took something like 50 years for it to come out on video, for some stupidassed reason. It was not worth the wait, I can tell you that.

I did, however, play the Atari 2600 E.T. game years before I saw the film. It sucked, too.

Australia
    What you posted didn't at all look like "studio interference" to me. It looked like he was demanding more than they were willing to give him, or more than they were capable of giving him.

There's a difference.
    Who said anything about "studio interference"?

You said that Romero "made the film he wanted to make" and that's the assertion I was addressing when I provided some pretty decent arguments for why that wasn't necessarily so.

No, Universal did not mandate any major story specifics or whatnot (though they did block Savini from getting cast in a larger part), but the undisputable fact is that LAND lost 25% of its budget in the final few weeks before filming, an unfathomably huge percentage for any movie, and Romero could either throw pages out of the script or par down what he kept.

He did have a third option which was to shut down the project and do a complete rewrite, which he said he opted not to do as it would have meant laying off hundreds of crew members and, with no guarantees, it could have potentially buried LAND forever.

I have heard - in person - Romero, Frumkes and Nicotero express a certain disatisfaction with the conditions and concessions under which the film was made and I know that, without a doubt, this idea that Romero was given carte blanche to make LAND is a fabrication. He had creative control, yes, but he was also abandoned by the studio. He wasn't "demanding" that Universal indulge him but when the production was obviousy suffering, he did request assistance and he was denied.

Romero "made the film he wanted to make"? No, he just tried to do the best that he could under the circumstances.

And, he'd never been given a more substantial budget in his career.
    Actually, THE DARK HALF was also budgeted at $US15 million about 14 years prior - when it meant a whole lot more.
    Last edited by Griff; 13-Jan-2008 at 08:53 AM.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Ok, so Land isn't Romero's best work. Please remember that unlike his other films he did not edit this one. A lot of good or damage can be done to a film at the editing stage, and if nothing else Romero is a master editor. Whoever edited Land, in my mind, is largely responsible for making it seem like a made for TV special.

For what it is worth, I did not detest Land, or Bruiser. Maybe not his best work, but far far better than a lot of the crap the studios are churning out with bigger budgets nowdays.

As far as Romero losing his edge, I will wait until I see Diary before I sound off on that.
    Don't try to pass the buck on that. It's "George A Romero's Land of the Dead". Remember that.

One thing I've noticed is that, over the years, every fan has an excuse for every short coming of every GAR outing. And, of course, it's never the old man's fault.

It's his work. He has to take responsibility for it. Especially when HIS name is above the title.

There's a lot wrong with E.T., the ham-fisted attempt to tug at the audience's heartstrings one of them. Like Jaws and Close Encounters, the film begins like a excellent B-movie, but unlike those former films, the second half quickly descends into Sappyville. My reaction was the exact opposite of yours -- I loved E.T. when I first saw it as a teenager and then wanted to kill myself upon the second viewing. I still don't know why I own the DVD.

Don't forget that this is the movie that basically sunk Carpenter's The Thing theatrically. It was the predecessor to all the sappy, feel-good 80s Reagan-era garbage that is best forgotten, which is ironic because Spielberg originally wanted to make a movie about hostile aliens following Close Encounters. The reason that he changed gears is odd, too; if I recall correctly, there was a lawsuit over it that was settled out of court.
    Say what you will about E.T., but it succeeded on every level a film needs to succeed on.

It made audiences laugh, cry, and cheer. And, it made alot of money in the process. In fact, I'd lay five to one that it made more money in it's initial theatrical run than entire collective career has in the past forty years.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Who said anything about "studio interference"?

You said that Romero "made the film he wanted to make" and that's the assertion I was addressing when I provided some pretty decent arguments for why that wasn't necessarily so.

No, Universal did not mandate any major story specifics or whatnot (though they did block Savini from getting cast in a larger part), but the undisputable fact is that LAND lost 25% of its budget in the final few weeks before filming, an unfathomably huge percentage for any movie, and Romero could either throw pages out of the script or par down what he kept.

He did have a third option which was to shut down the project and do a complete rewrite, which he said he opted not to do as it would have meant laying off hundreds of crew members and, with no guarantees, it could have potentially buried LAND forever.

I have heard - in person - Romero, Frumkes and Nicotero express a certain disatisfaction with the conditions and concessions under which the film was made and I know that, without a doubt, this idea that Romero was given carte blanche to make LAND is a fabrication. He had creative control, yes, but he was also abandoned by the studio. He wasn't "demanding" that Universal indulge him but when the production was obviousy suffering, he did request assistance and he was denied.

Romero "made the film he wanted to make"? No, he just tried to do the best that he could under the circumstances.

Actually, THE DARK HALF was also budgeted at $US15 million about 14 years prior - when it meant a whole lot more.
    He did the best he could under the circumstances. Which is what any film maker is expected to do.

GAR has the rep for being a low budget mastermind. And, he's given a substantial budget. He should've given us something better with what he had.

You know what I think happened? I think that Universal was happy as a puppy with two peckers over the success of the Dawn remake. So, they got ahold of GAR....who was not doing much of anything. Hell, he was probably just happy that they were finally returning his phone calls. They gave him a substantial budget, and told him to make his zombie movie. Based on his rep in the genre, they probably figured that it'd be a sure bet. Then, they took a look at his record at the box office, and got cold feet. Understandable...since GAR is, for the most part, a more prolific bomb maker than Jokey Smurf.

The bottom line is: the old man choked on a film. As usual.
    Last edited by Arcades057; 13-Jan-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    Say what you will about E.T., but it succeeded on every level a film needs to succeed on.

It made audiences laugh, cry, and cheer. And, it made a lot of money in the process.
    Which simply demonstrates that audiences are gullible, the Hollywood hucksters know how to exploit it, and that it's always about money. All the more reason why the charges of plagiarism should be considered more seriously.

"Hit you in a soft place
    with sentimental ease.
    They know the fantasies
    that you romance to."

Don't try to pass the buck on that. It's "George A Romero's Land of the Dead". Remember that.

GAR has the rep for being a low budget mastermind. And, he's given a substantial budget. He should've given us something better with what he had.
    You're contradicting yourself. For the "substantial budget," Romero delivered a studio picture which is exactly what everyone should have expected with Universal footing the bill. Why does the brainless DAWN remake always get a pass as a "good action flick" and not LAND?

What sort of expectations did you have for "something better"? Did you expect an intelligent George Romero picture from 20 years earlier? Well, there's the problem. It seems that whenever a studio pays for a "George Romero" picture, we don't actually get one.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 13-Jan-2008 at 04:41 PM.

United States
    Which simply demonstrates that audiences are gullible, the Hollywood hucksters know how to exploit it, and that it's always about money. All the more reason why the charges of plagiarism should be considered more seriously.

"Hit you in a soft place
    with sentimental ease.
    They know the fantasies
    that you romance to."

You're contradicting yourself. For the "substantial budget," Romero delivered a studio picture which is exactly what everyone should have expected with Universal footing the bill. Why does the brainless DAWN remake always get a pass as a "good action flick" and not LAND?

What sort of expectations did you have for "something better"? Did you expect an intelligent George Romero picture from 20 years earlier? Well, there's the problem. It seems that whenever a studio pays for a "George Romero" picture, we don't actually get one.
    If the charges of plagerism should be taken more seriously, then GAR is gonna wind up in court with the guys who did "The Last Man On Earth".

And, I never contradicted myself once. Whether Land was a turd or not has nothing at all do with with the quality of the Dawn remake. The Dawn remake succeeded where Land didn't.

You say that GAR gave us what we expected--a studio picture. Since when is GAR supposed to be known for that?

Northern Ireland
    Why does the brainless DAWN remake always get a pass as a "good action flick" and not LAND?

Probably because Dawn'04 IS a good action flick, whereas Land of the Dead is not. Simple as that.

United States
    Paul....you've always been an island of reality in an ocean of crap.

Thanks.