Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Why people hate LOTD

Super Moderator

UK
    And running off to live out your days on an island isn't? Or flying off into the sunset?

Undisclosed

We all KNOW you hate Land, DJ...

I don't know why you feel you MUST kick LAND in the ass every other week. God, it's getting tired.

Please move on, put your DVD of LAND away, and maybe just let it die a good death.
    "Totally Togepi!"

United States
    jeeez Arcades, stop whining....we all know you hate it....move on.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057
    Just a bunch of fireworks as Wussy McPusserson rides into the sunrise. Yay.

quote of the day!

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

United States
    Glad you liked that, Erisi. Adrenochrome, do not respond to anything I write. Do not read anything I write. We have been through this before. I am not interested in anything you have to say. Ignore me.

United Kingdom
    Hi again.

I don't wish to argue the whole money thing again either, as I did follow the discussions on the old forum. But I would like to follow up on my earlier post.

I have no difficulty in understanding that they have re-established an economy within the city, what I cannot understand is how that economy can be based on dollars. It would have made more sense if they had had some new type of currency being traded within the city - something akin to 'scrip' which used to be traded in mining towns.

We must assume that it has somehow been possible to restrict the supply of dollars and avoid hyper-inflation (though it's hard to imagine how that could be done, remember the dollars blowing along through the streets in Day) but the fact remains that whatever currency is in use within the Green has no value outside of the self-contained economy within the city.

Unless the briefly mentioned 'Cleveland outpost' still survives, and the people there also happen to use dollars as a form of currency, the ransom is entirely worthless. Kaufmann would not even be particularly weakened by the loss of the money, since he remains in overall control of the entire economy within the city anyway, plus the fact that paper money is easily replacable. If the scavengers had gone out to obtain cash rather than food and medicine, how much do you think they could net in one evening?

I'm not looking to argue with anyone, and I respect the fact that other people have reached different conclusions. I'm just stating that, for me, the use of old-world money seemed strange and spoiled the post-apocalyptic atmosphere somewhat, diminishing my enjoyment of the film.

Super Moderator

UK
    Again, not fixing for a fight, but thought I'd respond to your points:

Why not the dollar, it's what they know from their old world. The whole point in "The Green" community is to go back to the old days, to what they knew/know. It can't be too hard to set up an economy, what about when people stopped trading services and simple goods for other services and goods for green slips of paper and shiny circles of metal? Of course a piece of paper or a coin is worthless - but it's through the attached value we place on it that means it's worth something - same thing in land by resurrecting the economy of their new, small, society.

As for the cash blowing about in Day - Land takes place somewhere around two to three years after Day of the Dead - all that cash blowing around would have blown away and rotted by the time we get to Land. As for cash sitting in banks - it's locked away - getting a bit of cash out of a shop register isn't going to start an alternative economy either - same goes for most people not wanting to go out raiding - so again, restricted flow of money.

The way they've gone about resurrecting an old society and attaching so much value to stuff is what GAR is going for - the futility of it all, in search of a way to forget about the problem that lies beyond the confines of the city itself.

Undisclosed

Excellent point, MZ.

I fine your posts to be intelligent and insightful.
    "Totally Togepi!"

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Scousezombie
    I'm just stating that, for me, the use of old-world money seemed strange and spoiled the post-apocalyptic atmosphere somewhat, diminishing my enjoyment of the film.
    i found the use of money in the Green to be a pretty witty commentary on the money we use today. The gold standard has not been used in the US since 1971, which means that the only reason that US money has value is because the Fed says so. Since nothing backs it, however, US money is little more than green tickets that govern us just because our government says it should. Just like money in the Green.

Super Moderator

UK
    Thank you very much Mikey, on the flipside I still laugh my ass off at fart jokes - the cat on the toilet in Date Movie - the only bit I larfed at, hehe

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    I don't know why you feel you MUST kick LAND in the ass every other week. God, it's getting tired.

Please move on, put your DVD of LAND away, and maybe just let it die a good death.
    I may not agree with DJ, but it is the "why people hate LoTD" thread....

Seems odd not to expect people to complain about what they did not like about LoTD here.
    Last edited by ZombieFood; 13-Mar-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah, but we're coming back with our side of the argument. People bitched about it in the "love" thread and subsequently hit back with this one. It'd be daft not to engage in a two-sided debate, only fair innit. I try to be level-headed and lay my arguments out rationally ... some folk get more heated, I try and keep myself from getting heated.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Mar-2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Cos ... cos why? ... Cos ... COS IS NOT AN ANSWER!!!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Scousezombie
    I'm just stating that, for me, the use of old-world money seemed strange
    To mis-quote Kaufman: "In a world where the dead are returning to life, 'strange' loses much of its meaning."

But I have to admit, I was wondering also why they didn't grab the cash while they were scavanging...

Sadly, I think the use of old world money was less a symbolic gesture (meaning that it symbolized the past way of life connecting to the new in someway) and more of a "dumbing down" to pander to audiences that may be less familiar with the genre.

United Kingdom
    That's my problem with the whole premise, ZombieFood

One scavenger getting lucky (or making a serious and organised raid on a money depot - which I admit may be harder than I first envisaged given that a million and one zombies would descend upon anyone who blew up a big city vault!) and hitting upon a large stockpile of cash can screw up the entire economy of the Green overnight.

Money works in RL because economies are so large, and monetary supply can be controlled, and even then it sometimes goes horribly wrong (I'm thinking of the German Weimar rebublic where people burned money because it was cheaper than fuel!!).

Both Kaufmann and Cholo acted like money had value beyond the confines of the Green, but it was never explained why, given that it wasn't confirmed that there were any other cities in existence.

To put it simply, if I had a large gun pointed in Kaufmann's direction, and intended to leave the Green never to return, I can think of many more valuable commodities to extract than money, which may or may not have any value anywhere else. Antibiotics and painkillers to name but two. Even a good bottle of Kentucky Bourbon...

I'm not going to labour this point to death (no pun intended!), it's been interesting hearing everyone's different take on the subject.

I still want to know what those people in the suits *did* for a living (although that question belongs in a different thread!)

Super Moderator

UK
    The money that's 'out there' would either have rotted (in the screet), be securely locked away in a bank vault, or just be a few bucks stashed in a register. Just because we didn't see them taking a few bucks out of the till in the film, doesn't mean they didn't do it in the overall story.

As for dumbing down, I think it's far from it, you've gotta actually think about the use of money in the film, rather than going the Hack Snyder route of just telling everybody exaclty how the game is being played - that's dumbing down.

Just my two cents...