Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What horror franchise do you think should not have had any sequels?

Chasing Prey

Canada
    nightmare 1 and 2 were blood baths plain and simple. but they knew they had to keep reinventing him otherwise another dead guy killing kids would get old fast.

3 woke the franchise up and saved it. 4 kept it going, then they had the dream child and new nightmare which looked low budget as hell. then they returned to form with freddy's dead.
    Last edited by acealive1; 30-Jul-2010 at 07:50 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    No way, Lou! Part 7 was the best: "Jason Vs. Carrie".
    Fun after a case of beer, perhaps, but still not as good as the first 4.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Part 4 is the best of the sequels (no idea how Lou can be 50/50 on it ... are you high, dude?!)
    Why, as a matter of fact......

I dunno, I mean, I liked some of it, but then again, after seeing the three previous to it, the whole continuous sequels started to wear thin. Ok, I'll say I'm 60/40 like/dislike on Fri13th Part 4. that's as much as you're getting out of me. Remember too, dude, I'm a bit older than you, so the first three held a bit more of a special place for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I.. uh... sorta liked... umm... Vampires. *hangs head*
    *raises hand sheepishly* Me too...

I just thought casting James Woods - of all people - as the lead role was a great choice. I don't know why, but I just thought it was perfect.

Super Moderator

United States
    I.. uh... sorta liked... umm... Vampires. *hangs head*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Uh....I'll hang my head too. Good popcorn/beer flick.
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

*raises hand sheepishly* Me too...
    Well, don't feel too bad guys. It wasn't unwatchable, per se. I sat through it a few times myself.

I just thought casting James Woods - of all people - as the lead role was a great choice. I don't know why, but I just thought it was perfect.
    James Woods...Lead Role...Perfect?

Just kidding...Woods has charisma, but the hamminess he used in that role didn't contrast too well, for me anyway, with the rest of the film. Before you all jump on one little part of my previous sentence, I'm not saying JC's Vampires wasn't hammy, but there's a difference between funny/cool cheesiness that's done on purpose and hammy acting that is mailed in for an unremarkable 'horror' movie.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    James Woods...Lead Role...Perfect?
    I think it was just the fact that it was just so out of character for him to be in a movie like this. It almost seemed like improper casting, but once you get into the movie, I do love the hamminess of his acting in it. I dunno what to say other than...

...I have shamed myself.

Super Moderator

United States

...I have shamed myself.
    Nah, I think a lot of people probably dig it. Given enough time it might take on some cheesy mystique for me, as well.

*Looks at watch*

Well, I'll give it a few more years, anyway.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Hellraiser
    What? No love for Hellbound: Hellraiser 2? It's a pretty rare sequel. It not only expands on the mythology, but keeps the exact some atmosphere of the original. What's not too love?

Meh... Freddy was waaaay to much the comedian by the time Dream Warriors was released.

Freddy started wisecracking in Dream Warriors, but what helps is that not only is there a purpose for his jokes, but there's still a viciousness behind them. All of his lines in Dream Master seemed like they were written with the intent of becoming catchphrases to be slapped on merchandise, or to be taglines or the hook of the trailer.

I admit I still like Pt. 4 though.

Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    Saw - never liked the first one and ignored the rest.

Hard to believe Saw has made that much.

Halloween (10 films, 1978-2009) - $367m
    A Nightmare On Elm Street (nine films, 1984-2009) - $447m
    Friday the 13th (12 films, 1980-2009) - $465m
    Scream (three films, 1996-2000) - $507m
    Saw (six films, 2004-2009) - $733m

That's only because Tickets today cost more!

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    3 woke the franchise up and saved it. 4 kept it going, then they had the dream child and new nightmare which looked low budget as hell. then they returned to form with freddy's dead.
    Wait what? Freddy's Dead return it to form? Are we talking about the same Freddy's Dead where Freddy rides a broom, plays a NES, has a daughter (a fine-ass daughter though), and has those dumb dream demons?

New Nightmare low budget? It had the biggest budget of all them films! Besides, FvJ if you want to count it as, a Nightamre film. Also New Nightmare beats the crap outta everything after, Dream Warriors!
    Last edited by Doc; 30-Jul-2010 at 09:02 PM.

United States
    I think it was just the fact that it was just so out of character for him to be in a movie like this. It almost seemed like improper casting, but once you get into the movie, I do love the hamminess of his acting in it. I dunno what to say other than...

...I have shamed myself.
    I really dug James Woods in Vampires. I thought he acted it pretty well. Broody, hard-assed, jaded, but ass-kicker, etc.

I also thought the movie had some neat little stuff going on. The church endorsing slayers. The vamps hiding underground just wherever. The whole "greater plot" aspect of the vamps.

I dunno, I just kinda liked it. And it had the B-movie Baldwin in it, which is a total horror win.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Undisclosed
    I really dug James Woods in Vampires. I thought he acted it pretty well. Broody, hard-assed, jaded, but ass-kicker, etc.

I also thought the movie had some neat little stuff going on. The church endorsing slayers. The vamps hiding underground just wherever. The whole "greater plot" aspect of the vamps.

I dunno, I just kinda liked it. And it had the B-movie Baldwin in it, which is a total horror win.
    I agree - Woods was cool in that film and had some great lines only Woods could deliver that way. Nice western vibe to that film. Good soundtrack by Carpenter. Sheryl Lee was great as Katrina and easy on the eyes.

You might enjoying seeing these out of my collection - Woods' Jack Crow complete costume (last used on the cross) and Lee's Katrina Bloody Costume that she was wearing after biting Montonya in the jeep and walking away.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    You might enjoying seeing these out of my collection - Woods' Jack Crow complete costume (last used on the cross) and Lee's Katrina Bloody Costume that she was wearing after biting Montonya in the jeep and walking away.
    AWESOME!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure New Nightmare was after Freddy's Dead... wasn't it?

United States
    Eh, in defense of Freddy (after all, he only got off because the dumb ass cop apparently forgot to properly read his Miranda rights -- so says the first and not too shabby episode of "Freddy's Nightmares" TV series)...

I thought "A New Nightmare" was fantastic -- better than even the original "A Nightmare on Elm Street" -- in that it presented something fresh (this was pre-the comedy film "Scream" mind you) that hadn't really been attempted in a horror film before, and I have to give kudos on that along with them doing something really original at the time.

Shame "originality" has been removed from the equation of Hollywood film-making these days.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post

eh sorry bout that. u know what i mean.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post

Yes it was and New Nightmare was pretty good.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Has the Alien series been mentioned? Not that I would want it to end after Scott's original film, but rather after the third film in the series. Although Alien 3 originally had it's problems, I now love it as part of a trilogy. A fitting end to the series.

Then Resurrection came along. THAT is a sequel that should have never happened...
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Aug-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I liked Parts 1-3, am 50/50 on part 4, and the rest were complete utter wastes of time.
    Actually my fav films of that franchise are Jason X and Freddy vs. Jason.

That should say all we need to know about the quality of that series.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"