Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead Season 2 Special Edition Blu Ray

Super Moderator

UK
    I was looking at the specs for the UK edition, and I don't see any episode commentaries listed ... I do hope this is a mere oversight in the info, and not another fuck you to the non-USA fans of the show. We're getting some 'UK exclusive' "character profiles" bullshit (yeah, because we really need to learn about the characters who we've been following since the beginning and know inside and out by now ... i.e. a waste of content space), but I don't see episode commentaries listed. We do have a slew of featurettes as well as deleted scenes (with Mazarra commentary), but no episode commentaries.

Hopefully it's just an info bugger up - like the press release for the release of Hobo With A Shotgun, they only put out the DVD specs, so every site just had those listings, meanwhile the UK Blu-Ray (which I bought) actually had everything featured on the limited edition North American Blu-Ray ... ... as an extra features whore, I really do wish they distributors would sort their act out, and not only put the info out there correctly and comprehensively (and promptly - still waiting on info for Prometheus, which didn't reveal their extras at Comic-Con as previously announced), but make sure everyone gets the same content.

It's annoying enough that the R1 SE DVD for season one is too expensive to import (we now have a £15 import limit before duties charges get slapped on etc - essentially doubling the cost of the import, as well as delaying its arrival by a good 10 days, and meaning you have to go to the ruddy post office depot to pay and receive in person), but as a TWD fan I'll be rather annoyed indeed if we're not getting the episode commentaries - does anyone have any better info on this?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Are the extra import charges only applied if it's being delivered by a company, or does it also apply if a person from out of your country is mailing it in? I ask because if it's any easier being mailed in by an individual, I would be happy to pick it up and send it to you, MZ. No extra cost.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Are the extra import charges only applied if it's being delivered by a company, or does it also apply if a person from out of your country is mailing it in? I ask because if it's any easier being mailed in by an individual, I would be happy to pick it up and send it to you, MZ. No extra cost.
    I'm not sure. I assume it's to do with what's written on the custom & duties form on the packet, where the price is written. Not entirely sure how it works, but I suppose if coming from a company then they're always filling out the forms in the correct manner with it being a transaction, rather than a "gift", which don't count at customs usually.

-- -------- Post added 28-Jul-2012 at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 23-Jul-2012 at 09:29 AM ----------

Have a gander at this 'ere clip from one of the featurettes on the upcoming DVD/Blu-Ray release of season 2.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The more i've seen it, the more I dislike that "gutting" scene. It doesn't make any sense, it isn't need, and it's an obvious "let's show off some gore!" scene.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The more i've seen it, the more I dislike that "gutting" scene. It doesn't make any sense, it isn't need, and it's an obvious "let's show off some gore!" scene.
    Yup! I really liked season 2, especially that 2nd half, but there were a few things they would toss in just meet some sort of predetermined quotas.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    No episode commentaries on the UK version by the looks of things

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/dvd/The...ad-250546.html
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    No episode commentaries on the UK version by the looks of things

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/dvd/The...ad-250546.html
    As I'd feared then. FFS - why can't we just get the same version as the Americans?!

How is that so hard, why do we not get the commentaries? And they have the cheek to boast us getting a "UK exclusive" feature in the form of character profiles - I already know the characters top-to-feckin-bottom - I want ruddy commentaries!

England
    Just cancelled my UK order from Amazon and ordered the US version from the same place as I got the season 1 Special Edition.
    Bluraysforeveryone.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Just cancelled my UK order from Amazon and ordered the US version from the same place as I got the season 1 Special Edition.
    Bluraysforeveryone.
    Screwed over royally on season one, and screwed over just enough on season two to rub salt into the wound ... ffs AMC/EntertainmentOne.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Screwed over royally on season one, and screwed over just enough on season two to rub salt into the wound ... ffs AMC/EntertainmentOne.
    Yeah. Im pretty sick too. Paid well over the odds to get the season 2 blu but i couldn't go without those damn commentaries.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Here's one of the deleted scenes from the beginning of season two in which they return to the "Vatos" hideout before leaving the city. Only it's not quite the same as before...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/09/wa...son-2-opening/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCf-9KRzwtw

Also, here's part of a special feature called "The Ink is Alive", where Kirkman compares the comic to the show: http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/n...n-2-featurette

Only a couple weeks away from the release of Season Two. Looking forward to it...
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Aug-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    With the UK release, I think I'll wait and see what's what - i.e. are there truly no episode commentaries on it (it's not the first time that release info has been slightly incorrect, or even vastly incorrect - for instance, the UK release info for Hobo With A Shotgun was only for the DVD, and they incredibly neglected to trumpet the fact that the UK Blu-Ray had the exact same content as the limited edition North American BR - a nice coup for us Brits) ... so I'll wait for official word on that (Danny could help us out on the commentaries issue as he'll be getting the copy he won soon after it releases).

Another concern for us Brits is will any of the episodes be cut? The Season One release had cut episodes - even though they were broadcast uncut! So I don't want to pre-order Season 2 because of these issues - however, if the episodes turn out to be fully uncut, and I can get the audio commentaries off the internet, then I might buy the UK release.

England
    First proper review of the US release

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6746...g_dead_s2.html

Very good review even though the reviewer didn't enjoy the season.
    Great audio and Mazzara sounds like he loves making television. He seems involved with everything.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 10-Aug-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: f

MY HOME CINEMA

Ireland
    Does anyone know if there was an R2 uncut release of Season 1 yet? Or are we still lumped with the cut version?

-- -------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's annoying enough that the R1 SE DVD for season one is too expensive to import (we now have a £15 import limit before duties charges get slapped on etc - essentially doubling the cost of the import, as well as delaying its arrival by a good 10 days, and meaning you have to go to the ruddy post office depot to pay and receive in person), but as a TWD fan I'll be rather annoyed indeed if we're not getting the episode commentaries - does anyone have any better info on this?
    We have import payments across the pond too Min. It's a real PITA. It's sort of hit and miss here in Ireland though, for some reason. Ordered some DVDs from Amazon recently and didn't have to pay import on them, but got hit just before that, when ordering 'Stalingrad' from the same site.

Wasn't even the right flippin film either, but a documentary that had been falsely/mistakenly labelled.

I was livid.

I've toyed with the idea of getting the R1 blu-ray releases of 'The Walking Dead', but the hits on importing have seriously put me off. In general R1 releases are usually better than the R2.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Tell me about it shoot, those import duties are killers. Totally disproportionate to the actual product imported in my view.

The other issue with Blu-Ray is region locking - DVD players all have handset hacks, but no Blu-Ray players do (we're still lumbered with this idiotic region business), and some companies still lock their Blu-Ray discs (fortunately I was able to import the superior American release of Blue Velvet on Blu-Ray, because the UK release didn't have the newly discovered deleted scenes - can you believe that?! What moron was in charge of the UK release and for what good reason were those scenes not on the UK release?) ... anyway ... unless you've got a region free BR player, you're stuffed if you import a locked BR disc.

I've already got a BR player, so I'm not going to specifically buy another one just for one ruddy release - and even if I did, the import duties strike, as - at least here in Britain - the max level is £15. A penny or more over that and the duties get slapped on, which would essentially double the price and delay receipt by a good couple of weeks. I don't understand it either, because on many websites the import prices are decidedly over £15 - yet we can't import those without penalties. So what's the deal there? I don't want to try it out because you'll either get your thing after weeks of waiting and be decidedly down money wise, or you just let them send it back and then you're a little bit down with no purchase. Stuff that.

We've only had one release of Season 1 - so it'll be the cut versions still. I'm surprised they never bothered to release the special edition over our way, and I'm still in a nerd-rage over our release not being the same as the US one. Why is it so hard to provide the same content for all releases? It happens so often too, and for no good reason. Sod "UK exclusive character profiles", I want episode commentaries - don't shit in my nerd hat and tell me it's chocolate gateux.