Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noltd 1990!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    First off, I just want to make something very clear. It's been brought up before in this thread (and other places) and I want to set the record straight once and for all:

Ripley would kick Sarah Connor's ass.

Now, onto the remake. I don't really know what I feel for this film. It's kinda dull, really. Not scary, not enough zombies, not enough gore, horrible music and no good lines or characters except for Tom and Todd. But one thing that really puts it in the lower case "b" box for me is the amount of screaming. I mean, look at Evil Dead 2. Great flick. But watching the last twenty minutes is like going through hell because of that ****ing chick screaming her lungs out everytime she sees a rat or breaks a nail!
    In NOTLD '90 Judy Rose does a fair bit of screaming, Tom and Todd are ALWAYS screaming at each other, and often silenced by someone else yelling to tell them to shut upp. Barbara screams sometimes. Screams, screams, screams. It's like watching a italian comedy with a fat dad and a large family.

The music is a total turn off. The scene where Barbara is running towards the house in the beginning just makes me sink into my chair and go "oooye... This is not good." There's one nice little piece in the film, and that's the one that sometimes plays when we see zombies lurking in the woods. But that's it. The rest is utter crap. And I agree with the poster who said that this film lacks claustrophobic feeling, becuase it does. Never once did I really get that "tight space, **** those zombies are gonna get them now!" feeling. Maybe it's because never once is a zombie actually let into the house (until the end)? Maybe it's because Tom Savini is a bad director? Maybe it's both.

Anyway, overall I find the film pretty dull. If a zombie film doesn't give me the characters from Romero's films, then it better give me the action or atmosphere. This film doesn't do that. But sure, we have nice zombies. To bad we never see any of them get blown to pieces.

So no. I'm not totally against it, but it's just... Dull. I rewatched it again recently, and was totally unengaged and kept looking at the timer, wondering when the film would end.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    To DeadCentral:

From what I understand, you're right--you CAN'T copyright a title.

But, you CAN make it a trademark...
    Thanks Sven, glad to see you've done your homework...
    I learned that while I was playing in a band full time and we tried to get a title copyrighted...wouldn't happen...I had to learn about copyrights when I began doing web design...some 8 years ago..it's a funky process.
    designs-n-creations.com

Sometimes dead is better....

ViP

United States
    Evil Ned, that sound you are hearing is the hammer hitting the nail square on the head.

Banned User

United States
    Thanks Sven, glad to see you've done your homework...
    I learned that while I was playing in a band full time and we tried to get a title copyrighted...wouldn't happen...I had to learn about copyrights when I began doing web design...some 8 years ago..it's a funky process.
    As I was flipping through Paul Gagne's "The Zombies that Ate Pittsburgh" the other day, it cited a court case won by (I believe) Laurel which blocked another film company from releasing "Messiah of Evil" as "Return of the Living Dead".

You seem pretty familiar with the GAR story--how were they able to do that, and yet these other guys are able to release another NOTLD?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish
    Evil Ned, that sound you are hearing is the hammer hitting the nail square on the head.

I can't say I loathe the remake as much as some of you. i agree it ain't the best, but in my opinion still better than LOTD. However, I am inagreement with Evil Ned, the score to this film is very annoying.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    I can't say I loathe the remake as much as some of you. i agree it ain't the best, but in my opinion still better than LOTD. However, I am inagreement with Evil Ned, the score to this film is very annoying.
    Land is more fun than Day, and is more interesting than the Night remake IMO. It is an easier watch, and the dialogue is a little better.

I know that Russo owns "Living Dead", so perhaps he can throw up a cock block, idk.

Undisclosed
    The Laurel group (no longer existant...now known as Taurus..yes the very same ...) was part of the United film Artist group who also produced the original DAY... not quite sure about the reasons.... but I'm willing if I did a little research on it... I could find out.
    designs-n-creations.com

Super Moderator

UK
    Ripley would most likely kick Connor's ass indeed ... but Sarah's poodle-perming-ass is far sexier

Fresh Meat

England
    what mz said and then some.

*jumps onto kazaa to download "that" scene from t1*

Australia
    Its common knowledge that post production time on NOTLD90 was greatly reduced. Its no wonder the music kinda stinks. I'm sure it was thrown together so haphazardly out of necessity - not disregard.

I've got a few old Fangos with NOTLD90 interviews that detail some subsequently abandoned concepts - though the cast and crew describe them with a conviction as though they had already been filmed. Harry Cooper was originally supposed to have the top of his head cut off and Helen was to die by the trowel. There were some bigger moments that got scaled down or thrown out altogether but things must've really been tight if they couldn't even stage such simple concepts as these.

Undisclosed

Closing credits track

Anyone else dig the music that plays during the closing credits of Night '90 with all the pictures of the chaos? I kinda dig it ... The rest of the score it utter garbage, though.

Undisclosed
    Yeah I actually like the closing music. It's the erie-est creepy sound in the film. I have a loop of it kicking around somewhere on my hd. good horror setting music.
    designs-n-creations.com

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by panic
    Anyone else dig the music that plays during the closing credits of Night '90 with all the pictures of the chaos? I kinda dig it ... The rest of the score it utter garbage, though.
    Yeah, I've been known to drop a freestyle verse on that dope beat

United States
    Word up

Undisclosed
    Anyone have a link to this music they'd be willing to point me toward?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadCentral
    Yeah I actually like the closing music. It's the erie-est creepy sound in the film. I have a loop of it kicking around somewhere on my hd. good horror setting music.