Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Wake - (original video game)

England
    This is an excellent game. Just like a tv show. If anyone here's played Condemned on the 360, this is very similar but obviously much much better. I recommend starting on hard as I'm playing through on normal and isn't much if a challenge so far but will have another run through on a harder level.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Thanks for the impressions! It sounds great and I'll pick up up eventually, but I'm just way too hyped for RDR at the moment. Unbelievable that they ended up coming out on the same day.

As far as that Eurogamer review, it was one of the lowest so far. It's averaging an 84 on Metacritic, with most scores being 8's and 9's. If you're a survival horror fan this is looking more and more like a must buy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Thanks for the impressions! It sounds great and I'll pick up up eventually, but I'm just way too hyped for RDR at the moment. Unbelievable that they ended up coming out on the same day.

As far as that Eurogamer review, it was one of the lowest so far. It's averaging an 84 on Metacritic, with most scores being 8's and 9's. If you're a survival horror fan this is looking more and more like a must buy.
    Day one buddy. But yeah, it's like not even fair that they come out on the same day. What does one play first?

Considering my leaning towards all things horror I'll probably give alan wake a spin first.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    Ref the Eurogamer review. They make some valid points about the combat repetition. It doesnt bother me, im so wrapped up in the atmosphere of the whole thing that its a minor niggle to a very very good game. The graphics are a bit underwhelming at the start but improve as the episodes change location especially during the day. I've seen small amounts of tearing and some lip syc issues but nothing that affects your enjoyment. Theres also a card inside for a code to download another episode. July 28th release i think, so im going to burn through this then move on to another game until it gets near to the new episode release date, then start again on a higher diffuculty.
    Just going to start episode 3.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm glad that Alan Wake got released a week earlier than planned - no doubt due to the RDR release date getting shifted 3 weeks later than planned - because it means I can have my cake and eat it too.

Anyway - first impressions:

1) Digging the atmosphere.
    2) Beautiful looking game.
    3) Digging the dramatic script and the descriptive way in which it is written and narrated.
    4) The "jump" control is rubbish so far, Alan has a habbit of hopping onto a box, say, and sliding off, or doing the action a bit roughly ... plus it's imprecise.
    5) The "left or right shoulder" camera angle thing is annoying (especially as it changes on its own all the time) - why can't I have Alan in the middle of my screen like normal?
    6) I'm digging the little asides - NPC interaction, TVs to watch (a Twilight Zone style show I found earlier), radio shows to listen to along the way (you meet the host early on in the game).
    7) Digging all this light/dark stuff.
    8) Digging the little bits of side information (like when you "examine" a cardboard cut out of you in the coffee shop/diner) - it's all little bits of this and that to provide further information.

I will also say, make sure you have a good look around certain areas as you might miss the odd thing - like there's a thermos in the pillbox thing early on in the game, so look in there before jumping down to the next bit of land.

Also, go into the bedroom (to the right) when your wife is calling you - I feel I missed something by going left instead (cutting straight to a minor plot point) ... ... plus Alice Wake has her jeans off, so...

Oh and head back up to the car when you get to the cabin - you'll find a thermos collectible, and see an overhead view of the cabin's island. Be sure to explore around as you can find further bits of information - like sight seeing stuff where you press left stick to zoom in on something (a building for example) and you hear a bit of related narration.

So far it's not horror movie creepy, more Twin Peaks creepy ... it's not Silent Hill, it's more subtle than that.

I got the Limited Edition, which comes with a soundtrack CD, which was quite cool - listened to it earlier - quite good, I especially dig track 2 ... wonder who did it and what it's called.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Ref the Eurogamer review. They make some valid points about the combat repetition. It doesnt bother me, im so wrapped up in the atmosphere of the whole thing that its a minor niggle to a very very good game. The graphics are a bit underwhelming at the start but improve as the episodes change location especially during the day. I've seen small amounts of tearing and some lip syc issues but nothing that affects your enjoyment. Theres also a card inside for a code to download another episode. July 28th release i think, so im going to burn through this then move on to another game until it gets near to the new episode release date, then start again on a higher diffuculty.
    Just going to start episode 3.
    Blimey, you're burning through this game! I'm still on episode one ... I am taking time to explore and talk to people though, or have them talk to me more like (it's not interactive talking).

Yeah, the lip synch can be pish sometimes - Alice's mouth, for example, was barely connected to her dialogue at the cabin at the start, for instance.

I too think the strong atmosphere and setting of the game (and indeed the character of Alan Wake) will help see me beyond what some have described as 'repetitive combat' - but then again, what about an FPS - you're 'just' shooting people over and over - but that's not the point ultimately of your enjoyment of an action title. I think Alan Wake will be no different in that respect.

I think my main problem with the game - and it's only a minor gripe - is the camera angle. I want middle screen positioning on Alan Wake, nevermind this left or right side of the screen nonsense.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    grr, still like 13 hours till i get it.

England
    So, you guys who've played it, does it actually look & play like its been in development for five years? It seems like a lifetime ago since those first screenshots appeared in the gaming magazines in 2005! It should be flawless after all that time, or is there hints of them rushing it out because the development money was running out?

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, it should be remembered that Remedy are a small band of game makers, so there's not an awful lot of people doing a hell of a lot of stuff. They certainly don't pick themselves easy tasks. Part of their looooooong dev times will be down to the low numbers of staff, and part will be down to relative inexperience - they're far from newbs, but they're also not the big leagues ... they're a little bit indie, in a way.

The "jump" function is woeful, frankly ... very rough. However it's rare you'll actually need to use it, so no biggie on that one.

I'm really liking the TV series style to the game, and I really enjoy the day time portions as well as I can just walk around and get to know the townsfolk. The camera is still fiddly, but I'm getting used to the whole thing - rather enjoying it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    July 28th release i think,
    First Alan Wake Downloadable Content Dated, Additional Story Details Revealed:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...-Revealed.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    So, you guys who've played it, does it actually look & play like its been in development for five years? It seems like a lifetime ago since those first screenshots appeared in the gaming magazines in 2005! It should be flawless after all that time, or is there hints of them rushing it out because the development money was running out?
    I think it started as an open world game and it shows in parts. You walk or drive from point to point for seemingly no reason and no interaction with anyone or anything. Bearing in mind that the premise of the baddies is darkness, i think they realised that it would be too confusing to be wandering around in the dark in an open world so they changed to a more on the rails type of game. It does look beautiful in many parts and you can see some sections push you to look around even though it has nought to do with that part of the storyline or theres no gain from say climbing up a tower apart from to admire the devs artwork.
    I am starting to see some repetition though. All the action is at night and so far its all been in the forests. Theres already been a few times where i've thought "fuck not again" as i search yet another abandoned warehouse or mill but the atmosphere of the game keeps you going.
    I've been playing 8 hours straight apart from a break to cook tea and grab a beer and ive just had to force myself to switch it off. Its been a long time since that happened but i am on holiday this week and have the time to play.
    Episode 3 is incredible, if a bit repetitive, but there are some seriously "holy shit" set pieces where i got that giddy gamer feeling at the awesomeness.
    Really enjoying it despite its failings. Its survival horror which ive always said is about the atmosphere and this has bucket loads.

BTW Tricky, your dog/nam sig is outstanding sir

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Alan wake was originally a sandbox game and has gone through two redesigns. Most notably after the incredibly poor critiques of alone in the darks small sand box set in central park they realized an open world seems fun, but in such a heavy story driven game it only means you could complete the game without missing something they spent years working on- and as dead space proved linearity in survival horror aint a bad thing.
    Every take on the game ive read form a source i hold in regard i.e: not 'professional' game critics all seem to say the same thing, "You can tell in later portions that they had chosen to redesign the core game and about 2 or 3 times through you will notice jumps in graphics or design changes from the shakeups".
    Honestly it wont bother me, i played ff13 last month and it was pretty damn obvious by chapter 13 that some of the big sqenix shakeups of the last decade showed on its development but here im not too bothered.

As for dlc it WAS a fully made sandbox world once upon a time, stands to reason theres hundreds of inspired set pieces they lopped off in the final sequential build that can easily be re-appropriated into some neat dlc. -though like heavy rain the idea that they spent some time working on extra story to sell and not include in the game irks me like having to pay for deleted scenes on a dvd or something, but still it doesnt appear to take anything away from the experience and if its good more should be just as.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hopefully they'll 'do a GTA' and release the Alan Wake DLCs on a disc - so folk like me without XBL or a harddrive can play them somewhere down the line.

I had to force myself not to play more Alan Wake last night, so it's definitely got me in the addict zone alright. Even though the team didn't have much (if anything - as they sold the property on) to do with Max Payne 2, Alan Wake does have a vibe reminiscent of Max Payne 2. The 'locked door' sound is the exact same sound effect, and the graphics engine (particularly the NPCs) has a look and feel which is evolved from Max Payne 2 - or so it appears to me.

I'm now part-way through Episode 2 (of 6), so I really dug the "end of episode one" cliff hanger moment and the song you get (which you can skip if you want) before "episode two" starts, replete with "previously on Alan Wake" which re-inforces the key plot points - so that's all rather groovy. A vibe that'll set Alan Wake apart from the competition.

Oh yeah, the last two mini-episodes of Bright Falls (the prequel story) are now on YouTube. I'm off to watch them now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i have one gripe so far. just one.

At the end of the first episode we get a "3 years ago in new york" bit. The opening cutscene to it shows alan in his game costume, then when it gives you control he jumps character models to this version in a black hoody. WAT. thats the kind of shit you iron out.

Other than that its fun, shame the way they cover most of the now unopen world where once it was open is either a fallen log thats magically impassable, or they just spawn constant huge numbers of the taken to zerg rush your ass.

I can understand why but its still irksome after 7 years. Though many say the game refines as you progress form the earlier worksmanship in the first two chapters.

-also in the new york scene its a big blizzard and you find manuscript pages for a 2nd book voiced by max payne whilst the radio talks about crime and the worst storm ever.
    I knew there were max payne references but its still refreshing to see and hear stuff about max again.

Super Moderator

UK
    I am now at the start of Episode 3.

Getting a smidge tired by the woods-bound gameplay - it's always a relief to find a building or a campground or something man made amidst all the trails and trees and such.

Also - wtf - no easy mode? As an afficianado of the easy/casual mode, I'm quite surprised there isn't an easy mode - it's just Normal, Hard and Nightmare ... and did I read in the booklet right that you have to complete Normal in order to unlock Hard and likewise with Hard for Nightmare?

Not that it bothers me, but for the sadomasochistic gamers out there that must be a bit annoying.

I'd have to agree with the assertion that the movement controls in tight spaces aren't exactly polished. They're not precise enough, and the "jump" mechanic (though not often used) is busted as fuck. I'm surprised the testers didn't find the jump function to be undercooked.

Anyway, still enjoying it. I played twice as long as I normally do today as I just kept going and wanted to get to the end of episode two (plus I spend plenty of time looking around).

The driving is alright, but I do miss having a handbreak option, I keep blaring my lights as I expect to do a swish handbreak turn, but nope ... also if you bump along the road and turn the wheel, you can get a bit of the 'jelly wheels' vibe with the car lumping around a bit.

So my minor gripes are basically little polishing slips here and there. I think Alan Wake would have benefitted from being released two years ago at the peak of it's hype ... the length of wait can take the shine off it a bit, especially with the odd imperfect control issue ... but then equally you can feel the dev time when you look at the characters and especially the town itself.

It really feels like a full community in the Pacific Northwest.

I'm looking forward to getting a more powerful torch too ... and more ammo for shotguns or rifles whenever I come across them ... it's a bit stingy on the big gun ammo at the moment.

Finally got handheld flares now though ... gotta love a bit of slow motion walking through the woods with a lit flare ... although they don't last at all long, wtf is that about? I guess, sure, they have to run out eventually, but they seem rather short-living ... not like a proper road flare, surely.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-May-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    So all in all, worth it, eh?

I'm still not sure which game I'll be buying first this Tuesday. Then again, I just finally started on Mass Effect 2 this week

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany