Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "The Dead" (film)

England
    "if people support the dead, we'll do it again"

They can count on my support, I'm getting the BD for Christmas.

They went through a fair bit of hard times to make this movie and delivered a real winner IMO. Would love to see them same crew back with a bigger budget and working on a second chapter. Brilliant stuff!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

United States
    I'm just waiting for a chance to buy it here in the states!

I think its release date here is Valentine's Day...maybe I'll throw the wife a few hints

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Great Britain
    Just ordered the blu ray off Play.com for the bargain price of £6.99

Heres the link....

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/2...rlrefer=search

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansson View Post
    Acting was great, no pretty boys or girls thrown in to sell the film and the crappy one liners non-existent lending the movie a more realistic feel.
    that is one of the most refreshing things about the whole movie. not having some idiotic sub-plot thrown in that deals with a model turned actress trying to look scared and/or tough.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Great Britain
    A few more horror blu rays in the play.com sale....

The Beyond £8.99

Dawn Of The Dead blu ray and 2 dvd £8.99

Day Of The Dead £8.99

City Of The Living Dead £8.99

Survival Of The Dead £4.99 not sure if thats a bargain or not lol

Some blu ray bargains to be had, think as in my other post that The Dead for £6.99 is a steal.
    Last edited by paranoid101; 25-Dec-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    A few more horror blu rays in the play.com sale....

The Beyond £8.99

Dawn Of The Dead blu ray and 2 dvd £8.99

Day Of The Dead £8.99

City Of The Living Dead £8.99

Survival Of The Dead £4.99 not sure if thats a bargain or not lol

Some blu ray bargains to be had, think as in my other post that The Dead for £6.99 is a steal.
    If only that Dawn bluray was 100% bluray for all versions!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Well, I finally got around to seeing it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cinematography was amazing and the characters interesting, with just the right amout of mystery to their pasts. The zombies were excellent, filling the back of almost every shot, filling scenes with a sort of subtle tension you don't often see anymore. My only qualms were the repetition of very similar set-pieces a few times, and also

the ending really could have benefited from some more resolution. I realise they were going for an open ending, but it felt like it just ended in the middle of the scene. They manufactured some sort of meaning with the "hope" amulet and the kid, but it still felt like the film needed at least another five or ten mins to reach a conclusion.

Still though, I loved it and look forward to any sequels.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Well, I finally got around to seeing it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cinematography was amazing and the characters interesting, with just the right amout of mystery to their pasts. The zombies were excellent, filling the back of almost every shot, filling scenes with a sort of subtle tension you don't often see anymore. My only qualms were the repetition of very similar set-pieces a few times, and also

the ending really could have benefited from some more resolution. I realise they were going for an open ending, but it felt like it just ended in the middle of the scene. They manufactured some sort of meaning with the "hope" amulet and the kid, but it still felt like the film needed at least another five or ten mins to reach a conclusion.

Still though, I loved it and look forward to any sequels.
    i knew you'd dig that movie. the quiet sense of doom, the slow shamblers, the mystery about the entire outbreak, the mystery about the characters and their pasts (something i love by the way - i don't like knowing too much about characters), all adds up to a pretty damn good movie.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i knew you'd dig that movie. the quiet sense of doom, the slow shamblers, the mystery about the entire outbreak, the mystery about the characters and their pasts (something i love by the way - i don't like knowing too much about characters), all adds up to a pretty damn good movie.
    Totally! The film is so unique and has so much character.

Its limitations, which I mentioned above, are obviously the results of a very difficult, dangerous and stubbornly dogged shoot in some of the most hostile conditions on earth (politically, socially and in terms of climate), so even these kind of add to its appeal in an odd way.

Being Attacked

UK
    i got this one for christmas and i have to say, i enjoyed it alot, nice simple story, great mood and atmosphere, and the closest thing to creepy zombies since, well 'zombie'. definatly one of the better zombie movies of recent years.

England
    A review of the bluray for our American brothers

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6178/the_dead.html

From the Ford brothers, 'The Dead' is arguably one of the best zombie flicks we've seen in years, or at least one which die-hard fans can really sink their teeth into. Set in West Africa, the story is very simple as two men journey northward in search of family and a way out, but the immense beauty of the landscape is part of the film's enjoyment and play an ironic role in an ugly, violent tale of survival. The Blu-ray edition arrives with strong picture quality and slightly better audio. A couple of new supplements sets this package apart from its U.K. counterpart, but remains a bit of a disappointment. All in all, devoted followers of the zombie genre will be happy with the purchase, and others should give it a rent
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    A review of the bluray for our American brothers
    Yeah, if I recall correctly, it's supposed to be released on Valentine's Day!

So, I'm going to make some advanced reservations, take my wife out for a nice dinner, wine her, dine her and then take her home and tell her there's just one thing I want to do that night...watch my new blu-ray copy of 'The Dead'.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Just caught this film last night and im quietly impressed, maybe there is hope for modern movies?

Its a great story, good characters, great zombies..

The first zombie you see walking on its broken leg with the bone actually sticking through, actually made me cringe!! (in a good way)

..Unfortunately once again im late to the topic and really dont think i can add anything that previous posts havnt covered but a thoroughly enjoyable zombie movie, got the same sense of doom and actually quite dark atmosphere that i got from NOTLD.

Especially when murphy finally reaches his base on the radio and asks for reinforcements only to be told that the zombie outbreak is wider spead than he thought and there are no reinforcements!

Highly recommended watch.

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Yep. Very cool film.

Shows that slow ass zombies can still be creepy.

Some tighter editing. Cutting certain scenes and putting more emphasis on others would have made it a great film.

United States
    Enjoyed the movie thoroughly and I recommend it highly. I give it an "8" on a scale of 1-10.

Problems I had with the flick are few but hand-to-forehead obvious:

-the shamblers are relatively easy to kill, so how hard is it to get enough folks together with make-shift clubs to beat the bejeezus out of the zombies when they get into your walled african compound? Why run about screaming like sheep as they take people down one by one?

-it's not very hard to make an efficient perimeter using chopped brush and young trees with the trunks pointed inwards and the branches outwards, all layed out in a circle. A trip wire or cord with tins cans tied to it is only good for letting a NON-SLEEPING SENTRY KNOW THAT SOMEONE'S SHAMBLING INTO YOUR SECURE AREA and never if everyone within the perimeter is sleeping and hope not to get munched.

-it's Africa guys. Climb a tree to sleep (yes I remember that dude did after the tin-can foobar)
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 16-Feb-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"