Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I Am Legend

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    which is why i will NEVER understand why the wahlberg brothers are taken seriously...
    Are they?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Why does everyone hate on Fresh Prince, anyway? I liked that show. Yeah....I said it.

As for the Whalbergs.....Mark is definitely taken seriously these days, but not so much the other one. Donnie, I think it is.
    Last edited by bassman; 29-May-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Are they?

people took mark seriously as vince papale and max payne and didnt go "but he's a rapper!!"

but will smith does it and "oh no, we cant have a guy thats a rapper being in serious movies"

Ireland
    Depends what you mean by "taken seriously". He's still just Marky Mark to many people and a limited actor to all the rest.

I don't think either are taken too seriously in many quarters.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    wow, another person that thinks racism is dead...but then again he's from Canada

Racism is very much alive here in Canada, as it is everywhere on this planet. However, you seem to be seeing racism wherever you feel that it is necessary. No one put up a stink about of Will Smiths roll in 'I am Legend' because he is black, they put up a stink about it because they thought that he just couldn't act the role properly. Personally, I thought that he was fantastic in the film.

As for Will not being taken seriously, I think that it boils down to him mainly appearing in stereotypical action films (ala bad boys) where he plays as street wise, tough talking stereotype laden black man. (Independence day, bad boys, Wild wild west, men in black etc.) and the fact that he would usually record sub par hip hop songs for those movies. Now, looking past those examples, he really shines in the dramatic rolls that can be played by someone of any race (I am Legend, Pursuit of Happiness).

So please, don't whine about him not being taken seriously because of the colour of his skin. If he wanted to be taken seriously, he wouldn't have taken such out stereotypical and ridiculous rolls in the past.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    So . . . anyone seen I Am Omega?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think it's safe to say Mark Wahlberg has worked his way past the Funky Bunch days. Just look at some of the high profile films he's done with established filmmakers. Paul Thomas Anderson, Martin Scorcese, David O Russell, Tim Burton, John Singleton, Peter Jackson, etc. Whether you like those directors and their respective films is opinion, but I don't think Wahlberg would have those kinds of jobs if he was still stuck as the Marky Mark label.

He's done pretty well breaking that shell, whether you like him or not.
    Last edited by bassman; 29-May-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    Racism is very much alive here in Canada, as it is everywhere on this planet. However, you seem to be seeing racism wherever you feel that it is necessary. .

im sorry, but where the fuck do people basically get off saying "oh i bring up racism alot" um......... im sorry, the people who started slavery get a free pass?

FUCK THAT.

anytime i bring up injustice, it's "hey get over it!!"

kiss my ass if im supposed to just sweep racism under the rug

England
    Dude, nobody on this forum has anything to do with slavery. And whites certainly did not "start slavery" either (which seems to be your insinuation). There wasn't any such thing as "europe" or "america" when the likes of the Persians et al were dealing in millions of slaves.

Also bear in mind that practically all races and cultures have had a hand in slavery throughout history. Black folks included.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ZomBub View Post
    So . . . anyone seen I Am Omega?
    Somebody posted a link to the trailer of that on here ages ago...you seen the full movie?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Dude, nobody on this forum has anything to do with slavery. And whites certainly did not "start slavery" either (which seems to be your insinuation). There wasn't any such thing as "europe" or "america" when the likes of the Persians et al were dealing in millions of slaves.

Also bear in mind that practically all races and cultures have had a hand in slavery throughout history. Black folks included.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Somebody posted a link to the trailer of that on here ages ago...you seen the full movie?

this is what im talking about, someone puts words in my mouth and then i'll just wait for the backlash for bringing up a subject the world would just rather soon forget.

where did i say ANYONE on this forum had anything to do with slavery? i must have missed that part

how the hell do u chastise someone for remembering a part of their great grandparents history?

and theres the other argument, "ohh everyone had a hand in slavery"

who the fuck else was in slavery for 439 years that u know of?

so let me get this straight, whites didnt go to africa from north america and round up the local population? ok......

forgive me for remembering part of my history
    Last edited by acealive1; 30-May-2010 at 12:54 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    where the hell did this come from?

Administrator

England
    Acealive you have been told before on this subject.

Drop the random racism arguments now. You seem to have some stick up your ass and are over sensitive to the slightest undertone, your upsetting people and inciting racist arguments and flaming with your comments, it ends or you leave these forums.