Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: [REC] - Spanish zombie film

Super Moderator

UK
    I think the ending, to the degress of explanation you want Neil, is just messy in your level of detail.

Essentially, just leave it at 'the scariest sh*t happens in that f*cking penthouse of terror' - it's like the abandoned house in the woods at the end of Blair Witch - that bit is ALWAYS the scariest part, the final shot in particular damn near extracted turds from my bottom.

I see the sweary-mouthed chick from Dexter is playing the reporter in this American version. It just seems to be the exact same film, but probably not done as well, just to specifically target the content at a bunch of idiots who simply have to have it in American language (well, American is certainly different to English, that's for sure ) and have a couple of stars in it so people can go "hey, it's that one out of Dexter" and "oi, that's thingymy out of Hostel right there".

Undisclosed
    Oh Lordy...

The ending was directly taken from most FPS video games: exploring a grungy, darkened room right out of Se7en, a tape recorder ominously providing bits of information, you're locked inside with a freakish monster and can't go back the way that you came, etc.

I don't think it requires much more explanation, but the point was that the freakish thing was the "possessed" girl and she obviously wasn't alive any longer. It's possible the guy on the tape was killed before he could seal off the room properly, so the infection got out and was transmitted via the dog.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 17-Apr-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Oh Lordy...

The ending was directly taken from most FPS video games: exploring a grungy, darkened room right out of Se7en, a tape recorder ominously providing bits of information, you're locked inside with a freakish monster and can't go back the way that you came, etc.

I don't think it requires much more explanation, but the point was that the freakish thing was the "possessed" girl and she obviously wasn't alive any longer. It's possible the guy on the tape was killed before he could seal off the room properly, so the infection got out and was transmitted via the dog.

Of course Hollywood will resort to CGI for that girl, but that wasn't CGI, and was a real, alarmingly skinny person
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Of course Hollywood will resort to CGI for that girl, but that wasn't CGI, and was a real, alarmingly skinny person

I agree regarding the skinny guy; with a little ingenuity on the part of the filmmakers, it made for a great illusion. I was sure that it was CGI because nobody could possibly be that skinny.

Btw, they took that idea from the original ALIEN, which utilized a very tall and skinny actor, as well.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Dubbing sucks major. Dubbing can really ruin a film for me. And don't give me the "I don't like to read films" arguments. It takes the eye and mind less than a milisecond to read what's said on screen. It detracts nothing, except if you're to lazy to even do that.

Dubbing should be banned. It's film violation. You're violating the directors vision by replacing the soundtrack. I find that dubbing is for the MTV crowd.

And I'll be sure to get ahold of Rec. With subtitles, of course. If it's dubbed, I won't even bother.
    Could always go the route Sony/Tristar did with their re-releases of the Godzilla series: they had both the original Japanese version w/ subs that you could turn on or off AND the dubbed International versions. Thus, you don't have to choose & everyone is happy.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post

I agree regarding the skinny guy; with a little ingenuity on the part of the filmmakers, it made for a great illusion. I was sure that it was CGI because nobody could possibly be that skinny.

Btw, they took that idea from the original ALIEN, which utilized a very tall and skinny actor, as well.

Unless I'm even more confused, it was a girl, not a guy... And I recon it was a real person...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK

Nah I think it was a girl, cos the tape and the news clippings were all about a girl, plus 'it' had emaciated boobies.

It wasn't CGI?! No way ... really?!

I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch the ending now.

Undisclosed

Unless I'm even more confused, it was a girl, not a guy... And I recon it was a real person...

It was a very skinny guy (actor) underneath a lot of make-up playing the infected girl. Just watch the behind-the-scenes footage on the DVD.

And I'm not contesting that it was a real person. I'm saying that I was shocked to learn that it wasn't CGI.

Administrator

England
    I'm only saying it wasn't CGI as the film didn't appear to have the budget to pay for CGI of that quality. + it looked real!
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

Talking

I'm only saying it wasn't CGI as the film didn't appear to have the budget to pay for CGI of that quality. + it looked real!
    Plus that ending you kept refering to had some pretty good shock value

United States

[rec]

I'm really surprised there's not any discussions going on about this great little spanish zombie film. I saw it, and loved it.

Yes, there are a few inconsistencies, but overall, a great film.

Has anyone else seen it?

Undisclosed
    Actually, this is the 3rd thread. I started the first one a while back when the trailers first leaked out.

Administrator

England
    [Threads merged]

I'm still waiting for a decent explanation of the ending...?
    Last edited by Neil; 08-May-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Oh yeah, there's a sequel in the works, btw. Already been anounced.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Oh yeah, there's a sequel in the works, btw. Already been anounced.
    To the Spanish or American (remake) version?
    -Carl Sagan