Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should there be a competency test before you can vote?

Super Moderator

UK
    Perhaps they could just make voting less appealing to the sort of folk who think eating Drive Thru is fine dining? Problem solved.

I've no idea what my IQ is, so I can't boast smart numbers ... but I'm certainly no dumb-dumb ... just a product of British education......oh dear.

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057
    Heh, Marie, got you beat by 20 points!
    Depends on the test, but I've gotten numbers that vary as much as thirty points or so.

We BOTH beat the average poll worker. Easily.

M_

United States
    You smarty pants you!

When It comes to a test I just thought of a problem. Instead of strait foward question, they could be loaded to elimate people based on ideology

. Heres an example from My experience.
    In college I took a class called "The Psychology of Mind Control". I thought it would be about Brain washing, propaganda etc. Sounded good. It was more about advertising. Turned out the Teacher was a Evangelical Christian and had an axe to grind.
    In a test there was this question;
    " Is God an abstract or a concrete concept",
    I thought it odd, but answered abstract, because like Love, it is intangable.
    I got it wrong. When I questioned this score, he got really mad and wouldn't discuss it. It was a hidden litmus test to determine your faith. My argument was , not only is faith irrellevent in this subject context, but one could have faith and still think it's abstract. (and I'm an athiest, so I was really ****ed at this discrimination)

Suddenly I started getting Ds and Fs on every test and paper. Now, I got a free ride to school based on my essays and English skill (another smarty pants ). I never got less than a B in my life on an essay, usually an A. I shouldv'e reported his ass. But I was young. Got a D-. Arrrg. Non tranferable credit and screwed my average. Ended up with a 3.8. Wouldv'e been a 3.9 or even a 4 without that. Ugh

United States
    No, they shouldn't be required. People are given the right to vote in the constitution. Although I agree that there are things that all Americans should know, knowledge is not a requirement to be a voting American.
    Last edited by DeadJonas190; 13-Jul-2006 at 09:11 PM.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190