Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "why don't people like Alan Wake"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Alan Wake's "The Writer" Is The Final Piece Of DLC For The Game

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    ...how is this sad news? from the start they said there would be two dlc as a bonus to branch the first game and its sequel together without adding enough story to interfere with people who couldnt get it.

these two were just neat addons dude. im glad they are only putting out 2 and getting onto alan wake season two instead of the bioware route of shitting out little bits every few months instead of working on an actual full game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    ...how is this sad news? from the start they said there would be two dlc as a bonus to branch the first game and its sequel together without adding enough story to interfere with people who couldnt get it.

these two were just neat addons dude. im glad they are only putting out 2 and getting onto alan wake season two instead of the bioware route of shitting out little bits every few months instead of working on an actual full game.
    If they are indeed coming out with a sequel then I'm all for it. Fuck these add-ons.

But i heard that a sequel wasn't confirmed.

You hear something different?

And if there is a sequel where do you think they could go from here? Is Alan going to go insane again?

That storyline is wearing pretty thin, imo.

Hopefully they go the bioshock infnite route and don't let the future of the series be bound based on what came before.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    If they are indeed coming out with a sequel then I'm all for it. Fuck these add-ons.

But i heard that a sequel wasn't confirmed.

You hear something different?

And if there is a sequel where do you think they could go from here? Is Alan going to go insane again?

That storyline is wearing pretty thin, imo.

Hopefully they go the bioshock infnite route and don't let the future of the series be bound based on what came before.

current rumors insist alan escapes the darkness in some fashion and appears in brightfalls months later, declared by the world as dead from some hiking accident or something. Based on remedys talk about possible weapons such as fireworks, lanterns and such i reckon its going to take place in october near halloween which would be incredibly rad.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    current rumors insist alan escapes the darkness in some fashion and appears in brightfalls months later, declared by the world as dead from some hiking accident or something. Based on remedys talk about possible weapons such as fireworks, lanterns and such i reckon its going to take place in october near halloween which would be incredibly rad.
    Tha could mean a possibility for a much wider variety of enemies ( maybe even witches and goblins or something. Dare I say, Zombies? )

Anything that would bring different variety of gamelay would be a major plus.

Perhaps Having him warp to a different dimension every episode to altleast have different settings?

Just Please, no more forrests people.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Just Please, no more forrests people.

yeah, its pretty unanimous on the alan wake forums that, nice as the forests are, everybody wants to explore the town like the original trailer showed.

Super Moderator

United States
    http://racooncitytimes.blogspot.com/...alan-wake.html

I wrote a somewhat lengthy article about the problems that may have influenced the opinions about Alan Wake, investigate at the link above won't you?
    As someone to whom Alan Wake was only a name bandied about till this last Spring, I will say this was remarkably informative. It's also probably a text book cautionary tale as to why following games too closely & too hopefully is a recipe for disappointment.

In any event, it was a very good and full look back on something I knew nothing about, but has wider implications to understanding the game industry. Also, as someone who had hoped for a wider world to explore (see my previous posts in this thread) your points about what may have been really hit home.

Thank you!
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 22-Sep-2010 at 08:33 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    As someone to whom Alan Wake was only a name bandied about till this last Spring, I will say this was remarkably informative. It's also probably a text book cautionary tale as to why follow games too closely & too hopefully is a recipe for disappointment.

In any event, it was a very good and full look back on something I knew nothing about, but has wider implications to understanding the game industry. Also, as someone who had hoped for a wider world to explore (see my previous posts in this thread) your points about what may have been really hit home.

Thank you!
    We can take a page from that when anticipating GAr films.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    As someone to whom Alan Wake was only a name bandied about till this last Spring, I will say this was remarkably informative. It's also probably a text book cautionary tale as to why following games too closely & too hopefully is a recipe for disappointment.

Thank you!
    Well i am glad some people got it, most people just read he title and replied with emails about "DA HATAS ONLY DONT LYKE IT CUZ THEY NOT TRUE FAN AND ARE LOW BROW GENERAL PUBLIC" Completely oblivious that i wrote an article about knowing about what might have been about a videogame on a reviewers part, nothing to do with the publics response in any way.

Super Moderator

UK
    yeah, its pretty unanimous on the alan wake forums that, nice as the forests are, everybody wants to explore the town like the original trailer showed.
    God yes. ENOUGH forrest stuff! It was good, sure, but there was too much of it in Alan Wake - I desperately wanted more town-based stuff - and not only that, but as I've said several times, more day time exploration and tasks. You could retain the structure which they used to get the game finished, but then also give the player a better sense of the 'free roam' that might have been ... plus it would be a nice change-up to proceedings throughout.

Also - no more contrived scenarios to lose all your goddamn weapons. It became annoying and pointless. A couple of times okay, but it kept happening!

Sounds like I didn't like the game - but no, no, no - I love the game ... but there's no denying there are some things I'd want done differently and better in a sequel ... like the jump mechanic as well, come to think of it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Sounds like I didn't like the game - but no, no, no - I love the game ... but there's no denying there are some things I'd want done differently and better in a sequel ... like the jump mechanic as well, come to think of it.
    Even my 6 year old was like, "Alan wake jumps funny daddy."

Super Moderator

UK
    Even my 6 year old was like, "Alan wake jumps funny daddy."

Like he's floating on a brief, but very powerful, fart as he flings his legs into the air and tries (half-assedly) to lick his own tip.

Gotta love Alan Wake though - a true quality product, even with the things that niggle you here or there. It really feels like a lovingly crafted piece, you know? I do hope we get a sequel ... oh, and if we do - introduce a "Casual Mode" for goodness sake! I mean, leaving out a Casual Mode that afficianados of the mode like me want, wtf?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    OH GOD NOT THIS AGAIN.

Casual is a name you have given some association which is not an industry standard. Alan Wake is EASY, mind numbingly so, but regardless the lowest difficulty is always the LOWEST difficulty.

just because its not called 'casual' does not mean its harder than this level you desire. its the easiest it can be without breaking the game.

i know we've gone on about this before but normal is normal. as in not hard. that is the baseline game with relatively low challenge that at worst means you die and go back 20-30 seconds for a checkpoint. and alan wake has no consequences for dying on any difficulty. you don't NEED a lower difficulty than normal alan wake because you cannot make the game easier.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Me thinks MZ needs a commentary mode ala Left 4 dead where nothing attacks you and there's no chance of dying.

Super Moderator

UK
    Actually you could make it easier - longer battery life, Alan taking more hits, enemies taking less hits.

If "normal is normal" then you've proved my point, because normal isn't "casual".

I didn't (and don't) want to get into that all again, but you can't accept that some people want to experience a game on "casual" if they ruddy well want to. It's a little something called "player choice" and it's quite rare for a game - at least a big name game - to not have a Casual Mode.

Fine by me if you want to play on normal or hard or insane or utterly retardedly difficult - that's your own individual choice, no skin off my nose - likewise you should calm down if some people, such as myself, would rather play a game to experience everything but the "challenge" aspect. Each to their own, you know? Christ-on-a-bike.

And it's not like I'm incapable of playing Alan Wake on "normal" either, cos I completed the game a week after I got it ... what I'm saying is that my personal preference - and indeed the preference of plenty of other people out there - would be to play the game on a "Casual Mode". So this gamer snobbery deserves a rolly eyes ...