Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TWD 3x08 "Made To Suffer" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Yeah. The spoiler policy seems to have been thrown out the window.
    I thought it was just me being over reactive in other threads but people just don't stop and think for a second that someone else might not know what they know.
    Apologise if that's the case. The mods can't see everything.

1) If you see what you think is a spoiler, then please report it.
    2) If you are posting ANY information that could be considered a spoiler then [SPOILER] TAG IT! [/SPOILER]
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I made some memes for the mid-season finale (put them in spoiler tags so they would take up less space on people's screens):

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...on-humour.html

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. Nothing against Daryl. I call for his death every season. Its tradition. He will have to take a backseat though now a REAL badass in Tyreese is on the scene. Loved what I saw of him though. Cool, calm and collected. And of course, there's the hammer.
    Ditto, Tyreese rocked the joint when he showed up. Very glad to have his character on board ... shame Oscar had to die, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    It has been confirmed by Chad Coleman that Sasha is his younger Sister, and the couple were Donna and Allen and their son Ben.
    Good to know. I was figuring that was probably the case, but wasn't quite sure.

Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    You are right about clothing and blood. Seeing skin on Maggie and her sexy tank tops makes for great eye candy. But long sleeves are beyond smart. Who would want to die from a cheap preventable bite. Not sure why they would let their guard down. Full gear in season one and no protection now.
    Complacency maybe or have they resigned to the fact that since they are all infected they don't worry so much. I myself wouldn't be too keen with walker blood on me. The realism has faded a bit for sure.
    I do worry about them all having bare arms (perhaps it's a practical concern for the actors too, being in the Georgia heat?) ... I would like to see them covering up when taking on walkers/going out on excursions ... I reckon they're all trying to pinch Daryl's style.

In terms of bacteria etc - I'd imagine that'd be a real headache to stick very close to, and it'd cut off so many options for the writers, so a bit of suspension of disbelief is in order. They've never really gone into the specifics of infection, and it's probably best that they don't stray into that territory too much, otherwise half the show would be about them getting the wet wipes and hand gel out every five minutes.

I would like to see more attention paid to covering bare flesh though - Milton's jacket/shirt with the protective sleeves was a good example of this, and I dug how it was an element of adapting to the world around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The nice thing about this series is it's not predictable, at least not for me. I really though Andrea my just shoot Michonne!
    I keep up-to-date with the trade paperbacks (which means I'm behind those who read the individual issues of the comic every month), and I'm constantly surprised by the show, or always on-edge during various scenes as I don't quite know where they're going to go, or you're so caught up in the moment that you get taken by surprise. I knew that The Governor lost his eye, but I didn't see it coming during his scuffle with Michonne as it was so raw and swift, and I actually jumped and winced when he was stabbed in the eye (I also noticed that she breaks off a chunk of the glass shard in the process too - double ouch!).

Yeah. The spoiler policy seems to have been thrown out the window.
    I thought it was just me being over reactive in other threads but people just don't stop and think for a second that someone else might not know what they know.
    I try to keep comic spoilers separated with spoiler tags, and being someone who keeps up with with the trade paperbacks, perhaps there are certain bits of posted info that swim past me (i.e. I know them as I've read the trade paperbacks, but I don't make the connection that they haven't quite arrived on the show yet). Apologies if so.

Is there something specific you can point to? Also - just thought - is it also to do with mentioning alternative plot paths from the comics, i.e. speaking of comic events that are happening on the show right now, but pointing out some differences to how it occurred in the comic?

It's easy to keep the TV show spoilers controlled, but when it comes to the comics cross-pollenating with the TV show discussion, it gets into a more confusing/easy-to-miss area. We must be careful, folks.

Therefore a note to all posters - if you're mentioning something to do with the comics that HAS NOT HAPPENED IN THE SHOW YET, please use the spoiler tags (as Neil has mentioned) and always take a "better safe than making someone else sorry" approach.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Dec-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Undisclosed
    Good episode, enjoyed it.
    I'm still waiting for the governor to be revealed as the insane, evil bastard from the comic books, but I guess that wont happen in the tv series. He's just a bit too balanced. The writers go out of their way making him sympathetic. Now that the cards are on the table Andrea still buys the 'the heads were there to prepare me for the horrors outside' spin?
    I sure hope he goes a bit more 'ballistic' in the second half.

Tyreese rocked! Good to see the extra characters show up. They'll probably need the extra hands come episode 9 and onwards

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Good episode, enjoyed it.
    I'm still waiting for the governor to be revealed as the insane, evil bastard from the comic books, but I guess that wont happen in the tv series. He's just a bit too balanced. The writers go out of their way making him sympathetic. Now that the cards are on the table Andrea still buys the 'the heads were there to prepare me for the horrors outside' spin?
    I sure hope he goes a bit more 'ballistic' in the second half.

Tyreese rocked! Good to see the extra characters show up. They'll probably need the extra hands come episode 9 and onwards
    We've still got the second half to come - plenty of time for the writers to gradually ratchet up the crazy with The Governor. His loss of Penny is a key moment - it severs his tenuous links with decency and normality - now the gloves are off and the eye patch is on.

As for Andrea - clearly she was disturbed, but it's such a shocking image and you're so discombobulated by not only finding that Michonne has snuck back in and attacked this man (who, from all of Andrea's known information about him, is a pretty decent guy), but that there's a zombie child snuffed out on the floor, Philip's got an eye out, and there's an attack happening right now (by persons unidentified by Andrea herself). As the preview for February showed (at the end of the episode) she wants to reconnect with her group (now knowing them to be alive - due to Daryl being captured), and The Governor even refers to not knowing where her loyalties lie.

I'd wager that Andrea returns to the Ricktatorship - particularly when she sees The Governor resorting to mob rule/justic over the "terrorists". The veil has been lifted, the illusion has been shattered.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Dec-2012 at 10:37 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think it's safe to assume The Governor will be more and more evil as the season progresses. After these events, I feel like he's becoming more of the guy we know from the comic. His last scene of the episode was quite disturbing.

His new jacket was pretty cool, too. Something "evil dictator" about it. And we also get to look forward to the eye patch! Yay for visual similarities...

Twitching

United States
    Agreed,
    The Governor doesn't have the resources anymore to divide his activities between clandestine deathsquad and amiable political leader. The fact he's already trying to whip the mob up into a frenzy based on their fear of the unknown and anger at having their safe haven violated is indicative of the fact that in the Governor's mind all that remains is retribution against the people who destroyed his lovingly crafted dreams of Megalomaniac Paradise. The people of Woodbury are now nothing more to him than warm bodies to be used as cannon fodder.

Given the nature of the prison, it's a fool's errand to try and dig Rick & Co. out of there with barely-trained civilians and a small handful of guys who know how to shoot. In his heart of hearts, I'm not even sure the GOVERNOR believes he can take them, but he'll go through with the attack because it will hurt Rick & Co. when some of their people die in such a massed assault. The Governor's only real shot is figuring out how to somehow mass and corral the movements of a large # of Walkers, and funnel them through into the prison's grounds, let Rick & Co. deplete ammo and energy eliminating the Walkers, and THEN attack. Don't know how he'd manage it, but as we saw at the camp massacre way back in Season 1 it IS possible. Admittedly trying to use Walkers against enemies with a host of extremely sturdy barred doors they can lock at will to create risk-free killzones is a great deal different than just driving a box truck full of Walkers to the area near an exposed outdoor camp and simply turning them loose.

It should make for an extremely interesting showdown, because though quite different in composition, the opposing forces are relatively equal in strength all things considered. Looking forward to it

United States
    I just dont know about Andrea. She always acted like she was so poorly treated with Rick and Co. I can see her returning to Woodbury. She has a big ego and returning to Rick would hurt it. The last she knew the vehicles were driving away and none came back to her. She is probably carrying some animosity there. I think we will learn alot about her seeing how vocal she is for Daryl. She shot the man in the head for one. He quickly accepted her apology and acknowledged that she was "just trying to protect the group". Daryl never bossed her around but treated her as an equal. Ofcourse I was wrong about Glen and Maggie's fate so I may be off here too.

Administrator

England
    I just dont know about Andrea. She always acted like she was so poorly treated with Rick and Co. I can see her returning to Woodbury. She has a big ego and returning to Rick would hurt it. The last she knew the vehicles were driving away and none came back to her. She is probably carrying some animosity there. I think we will learn alot about her seeing how vocal she is for Daryl. She shot the man in the head for one. He quickly accepted her apology and acknowledged that she was "just trying to protect the group". Daryl never bossed her around but treated her as an equal. Ofcourse I was wrong about Glen and Maggie's fate so I may be off here too.
    Nice that it's not predictable isn't it.

Talking of guesses...

My gut tells me Merle is gonna die saving Daryl!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

United States
    Carol and Axel were out keeping watch in the guard tower when Carl heard the screams coming from inside the prison. You know what happens in the guard tower!?

Michonne had plenty of chances to kill the Gov during that fight. Rick had an opportunity to pick up a shotgun after killing "not Shane" but didn't act on it. If not take it, destroy it in order to deny the enemy...

United States

Same! Redemption time.

Yay for me. I'm a first time spoiler tag user!!!

United States
    Nice that it's not predictable isn't it.

Talking of guesses...

I think you have a good guess. Had Merle stayed in good favor with the gov I was predicting Daryl would have to kill him to save a group member

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    I think you have a good guess. Had Merle stayed in good favor with the gov I was predicting Daryl would have to kill him to save a group member
    Merle could still be working for the Gov. Just a thought.

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Man, I would NOT want to be a black actor cast on this show, everytime another black guy shows up, you get killed.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I feel sorry for non-comic fans that are reading this thread. You guys are dropping comic spoilers like there's no tomorrow....
    Finally got to see this week's episode and I'm reading through and thinking the exact same thing.

Anyway, some great points! I was pissed when the episode ended, though...we need an extra long season finale in 2013!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    Merle could still be working for the Gov. Just a thought.
    Damn...you should go into politics or the lawyerly arts! Good point, Christopher Jon.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    The more I think about it the more I think Merle could survive and serve as an external 'sometimes Ally/Pain in the Azz' to the group. Merle is now way to popular a character to completely kill off of the show. They are going to have to find a way to work him into the story line. There is no way Merle, Rick and Glenn can coexist but Daryl will not willingly allow anything nefarious happen to his blood. Perhaps Merle will become the show's version of "Harry Mudd" or that new character from the comics who looks strangely familiar.