Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go again! Approved: BDXL 128 GB Blu-ray Disc Format

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Some people just don't understand how hard it is to get a good blow job now days.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I Am Legend & Kingdom of Heaven are good show off discs.
    The Dark Knight is still probably the best looking Blu Ray i've seen. The stuff shot in Imax is AMAZING....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^^^^

Perhaps because they tried to use as little cgi as possible had something to do with that.

The fact that Bale actually did some real daredevil stuff like teetering on that skyscraping is unbelievable.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah the practical effects help elevate it, but i'm talking more about the picture quality. My mouth still drops everytime the film starts with that helicopter shot over Chicago *ahem*....I mean Gotham. Really great looking Blu Ray. The flick could use a special edition, though.

Super Moderator

UK
    And another thing that fucks me off - you have to go and buy all your shit again on Blu-Ray. SOD OFF with that.

I've re-bought stuff I had on VHS on DVD plenty of times, and I've even got a couple of double-ups on DVD ... I simply cannot afford BR. I can't afford a TV big enough to make it worthwhile, I can't afford a quality player, and I can't afford to buy all the fucking discs - which are just going to change in a few months or something bullshit anyway, so why the fuck am I going to get into it all when it's still in its infancy as a format.

I didn't get into DVD (which began in, what, 1997) until 2002. It was Neil in fact, he posted about a DVD of Night (unfortunately the soundtrack was replaced though ) for £1.50 and that was my first DVD, and it was Xmas 2002 that I got my first - and current - DVD player.

I've had that for 7.5 years now. THAT'S the longevity I speak of.

And as for connectivity - yeah - what about people who A) Don't have the internet and B) Don't have the internet in the same room as their BR player?

It's the same thing with XBL and DRM on PC games - fucking WANK, so it is.

Trust me, BR and BR related tech isn't simple enough - you've got to know about "profiles" and the right HD cable, and you've got to get the right kind of player, and you've got to know the difference between 720p, 1080p and 1080i - there are still plenty of people in the world who don't get the difference between Pan & Scan and true widescreen, so how the fuck are these people going to understand BR?!

When idiots and technophobes can understand it and use it with ease - then you'll get mass-up-take ... as well as making it as consistently cheap as DVD currently is.

DVD was a big change from VHS, and so the up-take was relatively quick. Once it got a toe-hold and became simple and cheap enough, it exploded. But there was a real purpose in upgrading.

DVD to BR - for the masses - just isn't the same leap by any stretch of the imagination. The up-take is going to be long and prolonged, especially in the fallout from the recession - it's yet another reason why 3D TV is so fucking retarded.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    And another thing that fucks me off - you have to go and buy all your shit again on Blu-Ray. SOD OFF with that.
    Not true. DVD's play fine on BR players. In fact, they play better. I still own and use every dvd I had before BR came along.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Not true. DVD's play fine on BR players. In fact, they play better. I still own and use every dvd I had before BR came along.
    Well yeah, I knew that - it'd be seriously useless if BR players didn't "do" DVDs ... but I mean, if the point in BR is to have this "awesome" picture, then surely you'll just end up re-buying a bunch of flicks you've already got on DVD. That's the danger at least, and no doubt you lot have been re-buying stuff you've got on DVD but on BR ... you have, haven't you all?

That's what I was meaning by "buy all your shit again".

http://www.digitaltrends.com/enterta...-expectations/

Some interesting things in here. Yes there is an expected upwards trend in BR sales (most noticeable in the USA though, rather than internationally), but even still there is a downwards trend across all media purchasing, and DVD remains the biggest player.

Some snippets:
    The hardware sales for blu-ray were down, but of the people that bought blu-ray players, including PS3s, owners bought a meager 1.5 movies per household. The report suggests that DVDs remain “good enough” for most titles, and the cost simply cannot be justified by most households.
    Again - perceived quality and worth, as well as cost.

Avatar did not show significantly higher numbers than most other releases. From those that did buy it, the majority bought the less expensive DVD copy.
    A combo of less people wanting to buy it, people not wanting to get a vanilla release when a double-dip is coming up, and people not being lured by "omfg Avatar on Blu-Ray!!1!11!!!1!"

And in the linked article at the head of the thread:
    Just in case you thought the Blu-ray world wasn’t already complicated enough, what with firmware upgrades, 3D capability, HDMI 1.4a support, built-in capability to tap into Internet streaming services and, right, praying for your favorite movies to finally come out on Blu-ray, there’s a new wrinkle on the horizon:
    Again - complexity. You're not going to get mass-uptake with all this nonsense.

People in general and en mass just wanna watch a fucking movie, not deal with all that shit and more.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 01-Jul-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just a few of my favorites. It's not like i'm out re-buying my entire collection. I think i've purchased maybe 5 or 10 BR's that I own on DVD. And every one of them was worth it.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    i lost interest when they said "oh ur blu ray player has to have a constant internet connection to have updated firmware.
    It doesn't say that anywhere in that article. You can also update your firmware with discs, if you can't connect to the internet.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Trust me, BR and BR related tech isn't simple enough - you've got to know about "profiles" and the right HD cable, and you've got to get the right kind of player, and you've got to know the difference between 720p, 1080p and 1080i - there are still plenty of people in the world who don't get the difference between Pan & Scan and true widescreen, so how the fuck are these people going to understand BR?!
    You are making it WAY too difficult, dude!

"Profiles" - nothing more than the latest firmware. Same for your computer or a hard drive or a DVD-ROM/RW drive. It's just a firmware upgrade. If your player is hooked to the 'net, you just check once in a blue moon for an upgrade. We do that all the time for our computers - how hard can it be?! If you put in disc and have old firmware, the thing will tell you "go check for the latest profile/update" - go into your menu, click "update." Damn, that was difficult.

Cables? You only have 2 choices for the most part - component & HDMI. The others don't matter. Now how hard is that? Hook it up to your TV using whatever input your TV has. HDMI is best, component is 2nd in line. Have we lost you yet?

720p, 1080p, and 1080i - while some people don't understand that, YOU of all people do! you cannot tell me that's confusing for you.

All that shit about 3D and all that other bullshit, ignore it. 3D in the home will never take off until they can figure out how to do it without the glasses. Right now, 3D in the theater is their last-ditch attempt at trying to circumvent piracy. heh, I keep thinking of the "trying to put a band-aid on cancer" analogy.

I think the only real "research" you need to do is to make sure you get a player that has a ethernet port on the back and that the player has outputs (component, HDMI) that will connect to your TV. Not very hard to do imo.

The people who don't understand that stuff shouldn't have it anyway and should stick with their SD dvd player. If you DO understand it, and dammit MZ, I know you do! Then it should be no problem to understand profiles, cables & resolution.

Now, as far as re-puchasing your DVD catalog in BR - hell no! I own a shit-ton of DVD's, but guess how many BR discs I have? less than 20. Only buy the shit you know is a worthwhile upgrade. If it's not, then stick with the standard DVD disc and let your player up-convert it.

Hell man, I have this HD-DVD player Dj gave me for my b-day - and while inetvideo.com is selling all their HD-DVD's now for $1 to $3 each, I STILL won't buy them - why? 'cause I already have about 20 HD-DVDs, and each one of them I carefully selected by making sure they were worthwhile upgrades from the SD. And, to top it all off, if I have it on HD-DVD? I'm NOT buying it on BR.

It's much easier than you think.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 01-Jul-2010 at 12:49 PM.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What Lou said... you're making it too difficult MZ.

Buy a TV, Buy and HDMI cable
    Hook HDMI cable from BR player to back of TV

Watch movies
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's getting harder and harder to complain about Blu Ray...

-Now the discs are as cheap, if not cheaper than DVD.
    -HDTV's are the only tvs available, so everyone will have one sooner or later.
    -BR players are getting cheaper, as well.

It's bascially caught up with DVD. All you need is the player and you're in business. As long as you don't make it a long and difficult process like MZ seems to think.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Buy a TV, Buy and HDMI cable
    Hook HDMI cable from BR player to back of TV

Watch movies

Now that was funny...

and as they saying goes, "It's funny 'cause it's true!"

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    -Now the discs are as cheap, if not cheaper than DVD.
    -HDTV's are the only tvs available, so everyone will have one sooner or later.
    -BR players are getting cheaper, as well.
    *nods head in agreement*
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 01-Jul-2010 at 02:17 PM.

England
    None of my major TV series are even available on BD...

Farscape, Lexx, SG-1, SG-A, Babylon 5, Sherlock Holmes, Poirot, Survivors, most of my comedy series and a good number of movies are all DVD and will be DVD for the forseeable future.

My main BD discs are "must haves" "all time favorites" and new releases that I expect to look good.

(I update my firmware with a flash drive BTW, had to do that twice, took all of two minutes).

MZ is like a Blu-Ray dinosaur man!

Edit: Did replace my entire "Battlestar Galactica" series on Blu Ray - And Holy fuck! It sure looks sweet!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 01-Jul-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've got one complaint about BR and it's set up. Why the fuck are some HDMI cords so expensive?? For certain 3-6 foot HDMI cords you're looking at about 30-50 dollars. WTF?

Are some of them made of gold or something?