Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dawn Of The Dead Composite Edit

United States
    Does anyone know the legalities of this project. I know that fair use would allow a person to make their own edit, but distributing it in any way, including for free...does anyone know if this is ok from a legal standpoint.

Not that finding out would stop me from wanting this one, and I want it bad!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Does anyone know the legalities of this project. I know that fair use would allow a person to make their own edit, but distributing it in any way, including for free...does anyone know if this is ok from a legal standpoint.

I suspect there's various ifs/buts & whens involved with this... But I suspect the upshot is something daft like it's legal to download if you already own a copy....
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Well I own it twice, so I'm double-bagged...ready to thrust forth into this huge cut, I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Undisclosed

FYI - It would still be called Copyright Infringement. You don't have to make money off the footage to still be under the copyright infringement laws.
    Any type of unauthorized reproduction or distribution is fair game for the attorneys and rights holders.

You could do this with your own footage in your own house. But once you started uploading or selling it or distributing to others that's where the infringement would come in.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    FYI - It would still be called Copyright Infringement. You don't have to make money off the footage to still be under the copyright infringement laws.
    Any type of unauthorized reproduction or distribution is fair game for the attorneys and rights holders.

You could do this with your own footage in your own house. But once you started uploading or selling it or distributing to others that's where the infringement would come in.
    Figured as much, but thanks for the clarification. Still want a copy though, just don't tell anybody.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Just thought I'd better put in a new post, at the last one was about 8 months ago. The last work i did on the DOTD composite edit was around the 1st of July. Around that time I got really busy with other things and it got put to one side (that then became quite a long way to one side!) then I had other pet projects that came & went and I didn't come back to it.

So here we are! When I'd left it I had all the video edited and I was going through the audio trying to make that work, I got as far as around 13mins in. The most difficult bit so far was the section from wooley going nuts up to the start of the talk between peter & roger after the swat guy shoots himself. In that section each of the 3 versions has a different backing music and I was switching between them almost shot to shot. In the end i had to rubber band out all the audio, overlay one backing track from the score CD across the whole sequence, then rubber band back in any speech or sound effects i could seperate out enough from their backing tracks so that you wouldn't
    notice. Then using a pile of sound effects CDs i had to add in some more of the missing sound effects, copy and paste in some sound effects and bits of background speech from elsewhere in the audio tracks and then add ambience noise to fill it all out. I even had to record myself making zombie noises (!) to use for the sequence when the footless and the female zombie attack in the appartment as it was too quiet to seperate any of the existing
    noises from their music backing track. After all that it still needs more work to smooth it out.

And all that after only 13 mins! having done that I think it is do-able, not an impossible task. It'll just take a whole stack of time. At the moment its sitting on my hard drive so I can re-start it whenever I want. I dont mind doing short sections like the one above with longer simpler sections inbetween but if i have to painstakingly work though the the entire 2-1/2 hours doing that I'm not sure it won't go back off to one side again... for a couple of months... very quickly!

Super Moderator

UK
    Surely the action sequences will be the hardest parts, whereas the slower paced conversational stuff, or the passage of time stuff, will be fine.

Also I guess it depends on how much cutting between different sources of footage there is to do, no doubt there'd be some sections where you'd have not much to do?

Good luck with the edit!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by See No Evil View Post
    Just thought I'd better put in a new post, at the last one was about 8 months ago. The last work i did on the DOTD composite edit was around the 1st of July. Around that time I got really busy with other things and it got put to one side (that then became quite a long way to one side!) then I had other pet projects that came & went and I didn't come back to it.

So here we are! When I'd left it I had all the video edited and I was going through the audio trying to make that work, I got as far as around 13mins in. The most difficult bit so far was the section from wooley going nuts up to the start of the talk between peter & roger after the swat guy shoots himself. In that section each of the 3 versions has a different backing music and I was switching between them almost shot to shot. In the end i had to rubber band out all the audio, overlay one backing track from the score CD across the whole sequence, then rubber band back in any speech or sound effects i could seperate out enough from their backing tracks so that you wouldn't
    notice. Then using a pile of sound effects CDs i had to add in some more of the missing sound effects, copy and paste in some sound effects and bits of background speech from elsewhere in the audio tracks and then add ambience noise to fill it all out. I even had to record myself making zombie noises (!) to use for the sequence when the footless and the female zombie attack in the appartment as it was too quiet to seperate any of the existing
    noises from their music backing track. After all that it still needs more work to smooth it out.

And all that after only 13 mins! having done that I think it is do-able, not an impossible task. It'll just take a whole stack of time. At the moment its sitting on my hard drive so I can re-start it whenever I want. I dont mind doing short sections like the one above with longer simpler sections inbetween but if i have to painstakingly work though the the entire 2-1/2 hours doing that I'm not sure it won't go back off to one side again... for a couple of months... very quickly!
    Dude, you are a rockstar! A lot of folks really want to see this, legal or not, me included.

Administrator

England
    Dude, you are a rockstar! A lot of folks really want to see this, legal or not, me included.
    Agreed
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed

german version et al

is there a German version in fact? i am sure it is out of print and would not work for USA DVD players, right? is it a different version than the "European" cut?

another thing: how will the composite version be available?

AND-this is the 30th anniversary of the film. No Anchor Bay plans to release the definitive (everything) version or some special version of this film? I have the four disc set and recently watched the extended version. I may be slighty off-center, but i am sure some would agree that when I start watching this film two things happen: i want to see more unseen footage added to the film even if it weighs it down artistically and i don't want the film to end.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooddoctor View Post
    is there a German version in fact? i am sure it is out of print and would not work for USA DVD players, right? is it a different version than the "European" cut?
    Yup, the Euro cut is 118 mins and the German Krekel cut is 156 mins (38 mins longer than the Euro and 17 mins longer than the extended cut). Essentially, it contains every known shred of footage from all three versions moulded into one very long film.

Not in the stores, that's for sure...

Undisclosed
    There is already an excellent version available with all 3 spliced together.

link removed by moderator

Pretty good, I dug it!

Seeing as how I have purchased no less than 11 copies of this movie already, I see no issues with getting this composite print.
    Last edited by capncnut; 23-Sep-2008 at 07:10 PM.
    "We Got this man, we got this by the ass!"

capncnut
    Removed the link for the following reason.

Quote Originally Posted by HPotD FAQ
    Topics relating to violating copyright law and providing or asking for information on how to obtain material protected by copyright law is strictly forbidden. Topics which infringe this include, but are not limited to:

- Links to, or any information on, sites offering Torrent files, or direct links to torrent files (or similar).
    - Links to, or any information on, P2P (Peer to Peer) sharing software. We are aware that many legal files are transferred via P2P software, but we also know that it is mainly used for illegal files; therefore there is a complete carpet ban on these systems.
    Just a reminder to say that things like this are probably better off shared by PM or e-mail.

United States
    I wish it was available.If it was,I would differently get it.

United States
    I want to see this thing but the link is always removed or edited before I can see it.

Drat!