Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 3x09 "The Suicide King" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    A really small, but cool, detail that I dug in this episode was during the Rick vs Glenn argument - in the background in the woods a single zombie, then two zombies, appear - also, down at the end of the road there's another one shambling about. Straight out of the comics, and an interesting use of them too - they're coming, but they're far enough away that they don't have to panic and run away. Just a little touch - there's walkers in them thar woods.
    I really dug this too, it immediately reminded me of Lucio Fulci's Zombi 2 as well as the more recent The Dead (2010).
    Iommi is god

Super Moderator

UK
    Legion - I suppose the thing with those men waving their guns around is that's all they know, that's the limit of their crowd control tactics. They're not thinkers or strategists, they're hired guns who usually get used for rather subversive means. Good point about Andrea being seen to be part of the "inner circle" ... almost like a first lady ... or, well, First Girlfriend/F*ck Buddy/Friend With Benefits ... so yes, the action of the scene makes total sense, but the words in the scene needed more oomph.

Undisclosed
    Minion - Very often in this series the problem I find is not in the action as such, which makes perfect sense but with the execution of it. Take Andrea's speech; the writing, her performance, the performance of the extras, the whole staging of that scene I found lacking.
    Same with the opening arena fight. Nothing wrong with putting the two brothers against each other, but the scene looked like something out of a very bad, nineties Bloodsport sequel.

What makes less sense is how Andrea behaves these last few episodes. She sees her lover putting Daryl in a one on one fight to the death in an arena, she knows her friends are still alive AND she knows dear Philip held some of them hostage behind her back and all she comes up with is 'don't shut me out'?

Michone's silence is also very annoying. Why doesn't she at least try to explain, partly even, what went down in Woodbury? Her keeping mute to this extent makes little sense?
    Last edited by krisvds; 14-Feb-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    What makes less sense is how Andrea behaves these last few episodes. She sees her lover putting Daryl in a one on one fight to the death in an arena, she knows her friends are still alive AND she knows dear Philip held some of them hostage behind her back and all she comes up with is 'don't shut me out'?

Michone's silence is also very annoying. Why doesn't she at least try to explain, partly even, what went down in Woodbury? Her keeping mute to this extent makes little sense?
    Agreed and agreed!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm less bothered by those elements that you seem to be, kris, however I will agree that both of those elements could use work to telegraph them to the audience in a more satisfactory manner.

- - - Updated - - -

Last night I was thinking about something - the walkie talkie - it must be in the bag of guns, right? We saw the bag again in 3x09 as TG was digging through it, so I wonder if Andrea will bring it back to the prison with her, or if it'll end up in Rick's hands again by other means, and then he'll get on the walkie talkie again and contact Morgan - could we see Morgan by the end of the season? Just a thought ... although apparently Mazzara has teased that a major character will show up by the end of the season ... but that could be a number of people, so who knows.

United States
    I'm less bothered by those elements that you seem to be, kris, however I will agree that both of those elements could use work to telegraph them to the audience in a more satisfactory manner.

- - - Updated - - -

Last night I was thinking about something - the walkie talkie - it must be in the bag of guns, right? We saw the bag again in 3x09 as TG was digging through it, so I wonder if Andrea will bring it back to the prison with her, or if it'll end up in Rick's hands again by other means, and then he'll get on the walkie talkie again and contact Morgan - could we see Morgan by the end of the season? Just a thought ... although apparently Mazzara has teased that a major character will show up by the end of the season ... but that could be a number of people, so who knows.
    Walkie talkie thought is a very interesting idea for tying Rick back to Morgan. Though I must say jokingly that I carry that exact Motorola and no way would the batteries last that long. Ofcourse in TWD universe I will suspend belief to get Morgan back.

Administrator

England
    I Seriously doubt we will see morgan this early to be honest.

But i have been wrong before.

Administrator

England
    I don't want to introduce any spoilers etc... But is this Morgan the guy from the very first episode or so who Rick bumped into, with his dead wife wondering around outside in the street?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I don't want to introduce any spoilers etc... But is this Morgan the guy from the very first episode or so who Rick bumped into, with his dead wife wondering around outside in the street?
    Yes, the black man and his son that took care of Rick in the pilot episode. Morgan and Duane Jones.

Dead

United States
    The thing about Andrea, and I'm not an Andrea fan AT ALL. But one thing to keep in mind regarding her behavior is that her last experiences with the group weren't exactly positive. You have the situation where Maggie chewed her out and banished her from the house because of Beth's little suicide fiasco. Then she had it out with Lori, and then her very last experience was being left behind by Carol. Being left behind wasn't a deliberate act, but Andrea doesn't really understand it that way. She already felt somewhat disenfranchised by the group, being exiled from the house like Shane and all. And then from her point of view she got left behind rather quickly. They kind of quickly gloss it over in the scenes where she's talking to merle about being left for dead by the group, but she probably does harbor some resentments over it.
    To us, the viewers, we have the benefit of a birds eye view of the situation. But Andrea herself sees it more from the frogs perspective.
    But it is rather absurd that Michonne doesn't speak up about anything. She's not stupid so she knows that there's information that could change her standing with the group. All she really has to do is tell them about her fight with the Gov, and how she and Andrea met.
    The way they're writing all this out is creating breaks in the continuity of the story that not only doesn't make sense logically, but it is also creating a false sense of tension that will never be explained because it isn't really there.

Super Moderator

UK
    Another to bear in mind is that while for us it's been nearly 3 months between 3x08 and 3x09, for the characters in the show it was minutes.

The entire front-half of season two was a mere seven days, and Beth also stated that the baby is "less than a week" old, so it's at most six days between 3x04 to 3x09.

I would like, in the next season perhaps, to have some bigger time jumps. An awful lot happens in a very short space of time ... I would like some little breather montages if you will, seeing more of the mechanics of surviving in this world, as well as little character interaction moments, which show the passage of time - just every now and then - to give a bit more time between these major events. Anyone else feel that way?

Ireland
    TBH, I'd be uncomfortable with both extremes. I didn't like the 8 month gap between S2 and S3 at all, but a day to day record of the group would be exhausting too. It's difficult to know where to draw the line.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Another to bear in mind is that while for us it's been nearly 3 months between 3x08 and 3x09, for the characters in the show it was minutes.

The entire front-half of season two was a mere seven days, and Beth also stated that the baby is "less than a week" old, so it's at most six days between 3x04 to 3x09.

I would like, in the next season perhaps, to have some bigger time jumps. An awful lot happens in a very short space of time ... I would like some little breather montages if you will, seeing more of the mechanics of surviving in this world, as well as little character interaction moments, which show the passage of time - just every now and then - to give a bit more time between these major events. Anyone else feel that way?
    Good points. Reality for Rick and co is that Lori died only a week ago. He is too busy running rescue missions etc. understandable that he is struggling. I don't mind some slower episodes where we see day to day survival. Watching episode 9 as I type I am going to like tyrese

Dead

United States

Yes!! I want to see the mechanics of survival in that world alot. I liked ep01 of season 3 the most because it offered small glimpses of it. But now it's just running too fast. There's no downtime.

- - - Updated - - -

EPISODE 3x10 "HOME" SPOILER:

Axel!!! No!!!!
    This one eyed f*cking monster has to go!! Now!! I wanna jump in the screen and do it myself...
    Awesome episode!!
    Glenn's off doing dumb shit and so is Rick. Herschel's holding down the fort. Rick saved in the nick of time by Daryl and Merle. Rick sends Tyreese and his group off over ghost Lori. The group is falling apart at the seams.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Feb-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: ..

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    EPISODE 3x10 "HOME" SPOILER:

what da frak!

- - - Updated - - -

holy shit... this is getting more frakked up... they're using zombies as weapons now? can someone tell me just what in the hell is going on? The Governor just stands there whilst bullets are hitting his pick-up, Rick turns into the Hulk, Merle becomes the good guy, I finally start to like Axel and now he has a bullet in his head (and back, and everywhere else for that matter)...

Now we're frakking talking!!!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Feb-2013 at 04:46 PM.