Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3 (film) - 2021

Rising

United States
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ So claims the guy who absurdly thinks that 28 Days Later "is a perfect example of a zombie movie"

But funny how he actually reads all my posts religiously
    Last edited by JDP; 25-Jan-2019 at 11:49 PM. Reason: ;

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I can understand where Neddy and shoot are coming from. If you’re not really into a certain thing, it might come off as minuscule.
    Well, I can't speak for Ned, but when I say that 'Ghostbusters' fandom wasn't a big thing, I am talking about observation outside of myself. In my country, 'Ghostbusters' went through the roof in 1984. But after that it was largely forgotten about, apart from a couple of cheap cartoons on Sky in the mid 80's. When II came out in 1989, it was just dismissed as a poor sequel by most and then the whole thing disappeared really.

So, for nearly 25 years, 'Ghostbusters' wasn't really talked about in any kind of fashion, that other "franchises" were. There were people who played the PC game and were hopelessly wishing for a third film (which most people resigned themselves to never seeing), but there wasn't a massive fanbase by any stretch. Maybe it was different in America, but I can't imagine that it was that different. That's why I sort of found it surprising that all of these people came out of the woodwork when Sony's reboot came out. But, it WAS largely an American thing, which I suppose could be said for most of the online heat that Hollywood movies receive.

It was all quite strange to me.

In any case, if this new one is any use, I'll will be pretty surprised. I think the time has gone. In fact, it's arguable that the time had gone in 1984, because the 1989 film was wide of the mark and essentially killed the whole thing cinematically for over two decades. But, if III works, then coolaboola. Can't say that I'll be holding my breath though.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s always seemed to me that Fury Road was very well received and enjoyed by most. I know I did, I loved it, actually! I don’t think it’s fair to say someone isn’t a “true fan” because of a difference of opinion, either. Whether someone did or did not enjoy a certain entry, that doesn’t make them any less of a fan or invalidate their opinion one way or the other. And while it indeed has CGI for certain enhancements and excessively dangerous stunts, they actually utilized a ton of practical effects and stunts. More than you see in most action sequences these days.

I enjoy all entries of the series, including Thunderdome. It’s basically it’s own, unique beast, and I love it for it! Endlessly quotable, too.
    Thought Fury Road was pretty good, but I just cannot see it as part of the Mel Gibson Mad Max story TBH. It's an alternative take, as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to see some sequels, though, with Hardy, but I think George Miller is getting too old now. So, unless someone else can take over from him and continue what he did with Fury Road, it's probably over.

Always disliked the first movie though. Never did anything for me. 90 minutes long and it feels like 3 hours.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Thought Fury Road was pretty good, but I just cannot see it as part of the Mel Gibson Mad Max story TBH. It's an alternative take, as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to see some sequels, though, with Hardy, but I think George Miller is getting too old now. So, unless someone else can take over from him and continue what he did with Fury Road, it's probably over.
    I’m surprised we haven’t seen the sequel yet, actually. Miller has said that he has distinct ideas of what he wants to do next with the franchise(perhaps having already written the individual scripts??), he just said he wanted to take some time away after Fury Road, then he’d come back. But as you say....he’s getting up there in the years, so they should start working toward his multiple sequel ideas sooner rather than later. If he doesn’t get around to it, I imagine they’ll eventually try to buy him out of his contract so that they can give someone else the reigns, or give it to someone else after he passes away. Hopefully he has many years left in him, though!

Ireland
    I’m surprised we haven’t seen the sequel yet, actually. Miller has said that he has distinct ideas of what he wants to do next with the franchise(perhaps having already written the individual scripts??), he just said he wanted to take some time away after Fury Road, then he’d come back. But as you say....he’s getting up there in the years, so they should start working toward his multiple sequel ideas sooner rather than later. If he doesn’t get around to it, I imagine they’ll eventually try to buy him out of his contract so that they can give someone else the reigns, or give it to someone else after he passes away. Hopefully he has many years left in him, though!
    Aye, that's what I can see happening. I only hope that whoever takes over can keep the quality up.

But, like you, I thought a sequel would have been out by now, to at least to capitalise on the good reception to 'Fury Road'. Also, the longer it's left, the less likely it is that Hardy will be on board, which means that we'll end up another actor switcheroo, and that really puts me off. I was already cold to the idea of a Mad Max film without Gibson, but Hardy was ok for me, so long as I look at it as a separate universe and not a continuation. But, so far, 'Fury Road' looks more like a bit of a bastard child, because it's a singular.

But, yeh, amazing that there's not been another film. Not even the tease of one.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 26-Jan-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Let's hope that none of these scenarios actually happens and that Fury Road and everything potentially having to do with it is forgotten and shunned as time passes. It is a "bastard child" (indeed, as said further above) that does not deserve any continuation or be considered as "canon". It totally threw the more realistic and believable world of the previous movies out the window and gave us this cartoonish and surreal world instead. The world of Mad Max is not something a la Star Wars, in "a galaxy far away", but supposed to be our own world. The only way that Fury Road could have passed muster would have been if it had been the first movie in the franchise. It would have then established that this is some sort of surreal different world, not ours, where the bizarre and impossible things we see are indeed possible. But with THREE previous movies that already solidly established that this is just our world, where it just happens that things have gone awfully wrong for civilized society, but the laws of physics and everything else are still just the same, Fury Road is a travesty.
    Last edited by JDP; 26-Jan-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    *sigh*

We get it, you didn’t like Fury Road. That’s fine, but you don’t have to keep repeating it as if it’s going to change the opinions of those that liked the film. The film did well both critically and financially, so it’s only a matter of time before Miller’s sequel ideas get off the ground. You’d probably do well to make peace with that and move on.

Rising

United States
    *sigh*

We get it, you didn’t like Fury Road. That’s fine, but you don’t have to keep repeating it as if it’s going to change the opinions of those that liked the film. The film did well both critically and financially, so it’s only a matter of time before Miller’s sequel ideas get off the ground. You’d probably do well to make peace with that and move on.
    No, I don't think you really "get it". You think I dislike this movie just for the hell of it. I am actually explaining why it is nonsense and should never have been made in the first place. The whole thing is just Miller & company trying to make some new bucks out of a franchise that had been left back in the 80s (where it belongs) and trying to bring in the... what is it that you yourself said in another thread? ah, yes, the "tweens", into it. In order to cater to this demographic, though, you need to make it more "outrageous". The well-balanced, more realistic & believable world of the original trilogy is not going to be enough for the "tweens". In order to appeal to them we need more outlandish landscapes, not the ones of real Australia, and even bigger weirdos, and if they can do impossible things, even better! Miller's thought process: "How can we draw in the millions of "kwel tweens"??? I know... let's put a musician weirdo on a truck, and whose guitar spits fire like a flame-thrower, and let's also let him do impossible stunts too, like all the other weirdos... HELL YEAH! VERY "KWEL" indeed! Such nonsense will draw the "tweens" in for sure! Screw the more realistic & believable world I built in the original franchise!" Fuck off, Miller! Really.
    Last edited by JDP; 27-Jan-2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

In other, on topic news: Deadline is reporting that Sony has placed Reitman’s Ghostbuster sequel with the release date of July 10, 2020.

EDIT:
    Jason Reitman has confirmed the release date on Twitter:
    Last edited by bassman; 26-Jan-2019 at 11:53 PM. Reason: .

Banned
    Banned User

United States

In other, on topic news: Deadline is reporting that Sony has placed Reitman’s Ghostbuster sequel with the release date of July 10, 2020.

EDIT:
    Jason Reitman has confirmed the release date on Twitter:
    Cool, but yikes @ "Threequel". Who the hell thought that sounded good? Seems like something from Bojack Horseman. Now I'm all curious how old JDP is, as I'm 29 and have never seen or cared about Mad Max before Fury Road. Which is the best Mad Max film of course. :P

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ That’s not the title, he’s just using it as a placeholder until they announce the real title, whatever that may be.
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Jan-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Fury Road was great. One of the best times I've ever had at the cinema. Not sure how it'll hold up to repeated viewings at home. I have it, but haven't rewatched it.

However I much prefer it to Beyond Thunderdome, which feels a bit too much like a Disney or Spielberg-film.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ The blu ray is worth having, with stellar video and audio quality. It really looks gorgeous and sounds phenomenal! Not everyone is into special features, but if you are, there are a good chunk of behind the scenes featurettes available. I would’ve preferred a continuous documentary, but they’re split up into seperate titles. All said, it’s probably about two hours worth of video, much of it displaying the extensive work done for the practical stunts and effects.
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Jan-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: .

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Cool, but yikes @ "Threequel". Who the hell thought that sounded good? Seems like something from Bojack Horseman. Now I'm all curious how old JDP is, as I'm 29 and have never seen or cared about Mad Max before Fury Road. Which is the best Mad Max film of course. :P
    Old enough to have seen all three of them when they were new, and also to easily perceive how much better they all are than that Fury Road bunch of nonsense. The first 3 movies were well-crafted, well-balanced action/drama/fantasy/survival films for adults (Beyond Thunderdome was the first one to want to also appeal to younger audiences, but still not enough to derail the series into a whole new direction.) Puny Road, err, I mean, "Fury Road", is a totally different thing, though, with the "tweens" in mind primarily, thus its ridiculous, outrageous, exaggerated, unrealistic, cartoonish, infantile, over-the-top, hardly believable at all extravagance. It's a totally different world than the three canon films, which take place in a world you can easily believe in; it is in fact just our world, except that various motorized gangs are increasingly becoming more and more restless and difficult to control by the law (which is the subject of the first movie), and then a huge war is the straw that breaks the camel's back, all of civilized society goes to hell in a hand-basket and these various ruthless motorized gangs basically rule "the wasteland" of the aftermath, attacking all those who are not one of them (which is the subject of the second movie, widely considered to be the "masterpiece" of the trilogy), while some isolated pockets of organized "civilized" (more or less) society struggle to try to come back again (which is the subject of the third movie.)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Seeing as this talk of Fury Road has continued for days, I thought I’d dig up the film’s own thread in case we wanted to go deeper into the discussion: https://forum.homepageofthedead.com/...ight=Fury+road

That covers the film prior to, and after release. Seems more fitting that we continue the discussion over there instead of a Ghostbusters thread that has nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Jan-2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: .

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    ^ That’s not the title, he’s just using it as a placeholder until they announce the real title, whatever that may be.
    I mean I thought that might be the case, but yeah, good to know.