Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If you could change ONE (or two) thing(s) about Dawn '04

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter
    Why didn't Anna's pager or cell phone go off after she got home from work? Any hospital hit with a massive number of casualties would immediately recall all staff for triage duty.
    Easy, because the script wasa piece o' crap.

Arcade57s idea about delta force in DC, evacuating the prez would be interesting. A nice hat tip to Day too.

I think a movie about Andy with the Mall jerks as support wouldv'e been waaaay better. Andy was the only developed and intersesting character and he only spoke like 2 lines.

The 1 thing I would change is the bit with the dog and the girl chases her new dog "because she lost her family" and the whole stupid crew goes after her when she's ovbviously a total liability. So was ROger, but at least he was AWESOME! . That whole rationale was an insult for anyone with an IQ over 60 and anyone whose seen more than 2 movies. That wouldv'e barely cut it in a Flash Gordon Serial.

The street smart , trying to go strait dude, was bogus.

Undisclosed

Cool "Goin' straight" vs. "Goin' to drag the plot down."

He's a good actor, I'll grant, but... the character was poorly designed. For a gangster, he seemed quasi-competent with a firearm; most I've seen are experienced, but that doesn't equal the finesse of training. Technically, landing the headshots he did looked too easy, but maybe he was the firearms trainer for his set, I don't know.

If he was a criminal trying to go legit, what speciality did he use? Was he a general purpose 'thug'? If so, why no jail tattoos, scars or notable skill in hand-to-hand? If he had car-jacking experience, why was he on foot in the first place? Maybe his gang was really, really eco-friendly and used bicycles. If he tried his hand at burglary, why not try opening the locked doors in Metropolis (their first 'holding cell'). The locks are supposed to function to keep people *OUT* not *IN*. Maybe his advanced knowledge of a deadbolt could have saved Sarah ("Too Hot for This Movie") Polley from making a begged entreaty of Mr. Minimum Wage, Pistol-Packin' Mallcop to open the frickin' door.

As for Ving Rhames cop character... he also didn't exactly bleed through as believable, either. No patrol car? No personal wheels? No last-stand near the armory of the cop shop? Perhaps he'd lost faith in the police for some reason; doesn't exactly speak highly of the esprit de corps of the Boys in Blue, but packing only one shotgun and a sidearm out of his possibly-wrecked Caprice doesn't strike me as a swift plan. No road flares? No first-aid kit? No backup flashlight? Nope... he must really like the idea of roughing it.

Side note: what was used to barricade the safety glass doors on the first floor that held up against the constant pressure of what appears to be several hundred to a thousand undead cannibals? Whatever it is, we need it for the space program, if they're selling it malls in B.F.E. Wisconsin malls.

Just my thoughts.
    Angry312; "Angry Is As Angry Does."

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh yeah that bitch running after the bloody dog - which zombies don't even eat! - really, really, really, really p*ssed me off. It's so utterly, insanely stupid. I thought we left that sort of character retardation back in the 1980s with all those slasher sequels where semi-nude girls go outside in the dark after hearing someone scream ... mind you, there was the remake of The Fog... oh dear.

United States
    Fewer characters would have been nice. It would have allowed development of the main characters. Instead there are too many characters period, none of which are developed very well.

The bonus features containing the little documentary with Andy and the newscast are better than the actual film itself.

Whenever I watch this movie, I always think of Robert Patrick's character in Terminator 2. Based on the speed of these zombies, he would have been great for this particular movie by playing the one Bub/Big Daddy type zombie that keeps on showing up in every scene right to the bitter end.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry312
    He's a good actor, I'll grant, but... the character was poorly designed. For a gangster, he seemed quasi-competent with a firearm; most I've seen are experienced, but that doesn't equal the finesse of training. Technically, landing the headshots he did looked too easy, but maybe he was the firearms trainer for his set, I don't know.
    From what I've seen (and I have seen actual gunfights more than once) Knuckleheads (as we call them) or Thugs or whatever have absoultely no gun skills. first they shoot sideways and they miss way more often than not, thats why bystanders get hurt. I saw a gunfight where about 50 rounds went off from 3 directions and no one got hit.
    Thats not a comment on the movie as much as a comment on the tards that call themselves "thugs". But a comment on the movie is...
    Grab 2 black guys off the street. ones a cop. The chances the OTHER one has a gun and is a "gangster" is TINY, except in the movies.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights
    My two things:

1) Go to book store, look at state atlas, confirm 'island theory.'

2) Go to hobby shop, crank up remote controlled helicopter, fly Andy a briscuit.

1. Andy would have lived.

2. When the power went out there wouldn't have been any power tools used to work on the
    shuttle vans. Power Grinders ????
    Last edited by MapMan; 23-Jul-2006 at 11:32 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubaker
    Fewer characters would have been nice. It would have allowed development of the main characters. Instead there are too many characters period, none of which are developed very well.
    Yea, I'd say for the mall to keep Michael, Steve, Ana, CJ, and Ving's character and keep Andy at the gun shop... I can never ****in remember his name because he barely speaks. They'd make almost the perfect combination if they were made better. Ving being the hardened "leader" of the group, Michael being the guy that had to learn to survive, CJ sorta being the "right place at the right time" character, Ana being the little heroine, and Steve being the smartass that everyone hates but for some reason puts up with.

I would have liked it if it were the four of them in the truck, possibly have them meet at the Fort Pastor rescue station then take off when it got bad maybe? Have em go to the mall and find only CJ or something along those lines.

Then again the film makers want to make what'll sell best to the biggest audience. They mostly don't care about actual fans.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MapMan
    :
    2. When the power went out there wouldn't have been any power tools used to work on the
    shuttle vans. Power Grinders ????
    Oh wow, never noticed that.
    A real ED WOOD moment

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MapMan

2. When the power went out there wouldn't have been any power tools used to work on the shuttle vans. Power Grinders ????
    Didn't they just put a good portion of the remaining gas (from the pump) into the generator to run auxiliary power and equipment for that short period between the time the power went out and the moment they had to evacuate?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed

Cool RE: power tools.

There were several parked cars (perhaps as many as a dozen)
    which translates to quite a bit of gasoline. They plug the generators into the pumps, which then translates to quite a bit more fuel for the generators. Or, they were magic generators. Whichever helps you feel better.

What I'm impressed with is Steve's capacity for driving over bodies like they were snow drifts; when they were doing the round-robin 'worst job' scene, and he pitched he'd driven a snow plow, I knew it'd be part of the plot. Not its development, just the next nifty scene. A bit of overhanded foreshadowing, but that might be just me.

As for the gangsters shooting sideways: most don't. The movies portray them as doing so, but those aren't where they're learning firearms from. From what I've seen, its either Weaver stances or a close approximation. Then again, living near the 9th Ward in New Orleans, I might be off-base, but these guys don't seem to miss terribly often, unless they're firing for effect more than showmanship or psychological warfare reasons.

Otherwise, they wouldn't be hitting their targets as often as they do; quite a few dead gangsters attribute to this theory.

Angry312; "A Pistol Doesn't Make You Accurate or Deadly, Just Deadly When You're Accurate"

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow T R0bot
    What would it be?

I myself would have a hard time choosing between the slow as mollasses zombies and bringing the bikers back.

In the case of the latter, I'd probably have to put them on armored buses and RV's instead of bikes and vans though, what with the trackstar zombies and all.

What would you do?
    i would like to see the bikers with the pie fight!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow T R0bot
    What would it be?

Add Flesh Eating!

other than that... not a GOD DAMN Thing!
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdragon6
    i honestly like it the way it is,But if i must change anything i would want to see more chaos in the city.
    this is pretty much what I'd say except for adding slower zombies (like later in the movie) just to see some kind of interaction.

Oh yeah and show the viewpoint of how the other characters got to the mall and maybe some on foot urban exploration at the end (see inside some of the buildings and such).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter
    Why didn't Anna's pager or cell phone go off after she got home from work? Any hospital hit with a massive number of casualties would immediately recall all staff for triage duty.
    because she'd be dead and the movie would end in 20 minutes.

there are a lot of nitpicks about the remake I can think of but I tend to be very forgiving of plotholes and the like.

so I'll just make up and excuse for them and say something like 'the phone system became so clogged'.
    Last edited by zombievsshark; 09-Aug-2006 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost