Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Japanese Game Makers are Friggin' Nuts - A Game designed for RAPE???? WTF?

United States
    Well, there's always been some kind of commercial aspect to the Arts. Even Da Vinci & Michaelangelo relied on the patronage of local nobility or the Church. Artists gotta eat, too.

Are videogames art? Go ask Roger Ebert. I'll go out on a limb and say "not yet". But the medium is there, it's only a matter of time before that medium is transcended. That's the point where you get your "capital A" Art.

One more thing...SRP's plumber analogy isn't quite right. I know a number of sculptors that got their start as plumbers, metal fabricators, etc.

Just Sayin'.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    "Putting your heart and soul into it" doesn't make it art. The plumber puts his heart and soul into finishing a job from rough-ins to finish, but that doesn't make what he does "art". It's just a profession.
    That depends on your personal opinion of what art is. I think putting your heart and soul into something definitely makes it art in your own eyes. Even the plumber.

I would say that could be applied to just about everything. I love doing home improvements and then sitting back and admiring my work. Some people may not consider that art, but I designed something and if I take the time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor - It's art.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I think putting your heart and soul into something definitely makes it art in your own eyes. .
    I'm sure the maker(s) of said game were just full of good intentions and put loads and loads of 'heart' and 'soul' into the game.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 02-Apr-2010 at 06:45 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Anything designed with something more than a purely practical purpose is "art" in my opinion. Just because it's art doesn't automatically make it good or bad, right or wrong - that's a separate judgement.

I think rape games are fucked up and I find it frightening that it exists. On the other hand, cultural differences can be soul-rendingly troubling - there are tribes in the Philippines that have practiced ritual pederasy for millennia, for example. This is horrific to me, yet if they knew that I play games in which I realistically decapitate dozens of people with a shotgun they would probably think I was fucked up.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'm sure the makers of said game were just full of good intentions.
    I wasn't defending the game. I think it's shit and they should be ashamed for it. I'm just talking about the difference of opinions on what qualifies as art.

Super Moderator

United States
    I wasn't defending the game. I think it's shit and they should be ashamed for it. I'm just talking about the difference of opinions on what qualifies as art.
    I was trying to imply you tacitly support rape, as part of my Bassman-defamation project (Codenamed: Bassbuster). I also have a Mista_Mo-defamation project going to convince everyone he is French Canadien (Code Name: Monsieur)

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was trying to imply you tacitly support rape,
    How else do you think I became a father?

Super Moderator

United States
    How else do you think I became a father?
    Touche.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Rape is nothing more than surprise sex, really.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Rape is nothing more than surprise sex, really.
    Ahhh, the ta-da! theory of rape

Your quote is almost a contender when put up against the SRP quote in Clang's sig (a true classic)!

United States
    Ahhh, the ta-da! theory of rape

Your quote is almost a contender when put up against the SRP quote in Clang's sig (a true classic)!
    Yup!!! that's getting quoted too!!

As far as the game goes. . . .meh. . I don't see the big deal. I really see no difference between this and a consensual couple that decides to use roleplay in the bedroom. There are fantasies that are as dark or darker being played out ,without harm to any party, all over the world. The only difference is that only one person is engaging in the fantasy in this case. . . .is that creepier? . . . . .maybe. . . .is it any more dangerous than roleplay sex?. . . . .probably not. Just like the roleplay scenario. . .it is a way for people to play with socially unacceptable fantasies without hurting anyone.
    Last edited by clanglee; 02-Apr-2010 at 09:12 PM.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Canada
    Mista_Mo-defamation project going to convince everyone he is French Canadien (Code Name: Monsieur)

Prove it. I dare you to even THINK about attempting to prove it...IT!