Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD & Blu-Ray Purchases Thread - (DVD's! Do you buy them New or Used?...)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Speaking of imports.....I’m curious if you guys have to actually pay extra importing fees with every purchase, or if your version of Amazon has R1 movies already in your country? For example, all of the foreign releases I’ve picked up, I’ve been able to order them through the American Amazon site with no extra fees and had them delivered in two days. They’d already had the titles brought into the country.
    We have an import duty line in the sand. Anything under £15 including shipping costs (it used to be £18 until a few years ago) can pass through fine, but with the slump in the £ versus the $, importing isn't the bargain it used to be (I used to import multiple titles at a time back in the early to mid 2000s). If the cost of the package goes over that £15 limit you'll find yourself slapped with a hefty set of import fees plus added fees (and 2 or 3 weeks delay) from the Royal Mail for the related bureaucracy. It's a piss take, so I hardly ever import now as the prices as simply too high.

I've been really keen on getting the recent Severin 2-disc Blu-Ray release of "Dr Butcher M.D.", but it's simply too expensive to import. You can import it via Amazon UK, but with the additional fees slapped on it's basically £30 (about $41) and I ain't paying all that (that's as much as double your usual price for a Blu-Ray).

I have had a few R1 purchases through Amazon, but they've all been shipped inside the UK - so import fees don't apply.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    We have an import duty line in the sand. Anything under £15 including shipping costs (it used to be £18 until a few years ago) can pass through fine, but with the slump in the £ versus the $, importing isn't the bargain it used to be (I used to import multiple titles at a time back in the early to mid 2000s). If the cost of the package goes over that £15 limit you'll find yourself slapped with a hefty set of import fees plus added fees (and 2 or 3 weeks delay) from the Royal Mail for the related bureaucracy. It's a piss take, so I hardly ever import now as the prices as simply too high.

I've been really keen on getting the recent Severin 2-disc Blu-Ray release of "Dr Butcher M.D.", but it's simply too expensive to import. You can import it via Amazon UK, but with the additional fees slapped on it's basically £30 (about $41) and I ain't paying all that (that's as much as double your usual price for a Blu-Ray).

I have had a few R1 purchases through Amazon, but they've all been shipped inside the UK - so import fees don't apply.
    Order it from WowHD and thank me later. Free shipping too. Perfect for single disc shipments. Customer service sucks balls tho.
    They often note their package as being shipped from the UK.

Sweden just instated an import tax, but none of the WowHD shipments seem to be unaffected.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Order it from WowHD and thank me later. Free shipping too. Perfect for single disc shipments. Customer service sucks balls tho.
    They often note their package as being shipped from the UK.
    Thanks for the tip. Solid price on there. I've taken a punt just for that particular disc.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Jun-2018 at 05:57 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hrmm that’s strange, I thought Amazon UK would’ve already had a good collection of imports like the US Amazon does. For the most part, Amazon US or one of its affiliated retailers has just about every imported special edition release for Arrow and the like already in country. So when I purchase a Blu ray produced in a different region, it only costs as much as a regular R1 release and is deliverered on Prime’s free two day shipping.
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Jun-2018 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Super Moderator

UK
    Hrmm that’s strange, I thought Amazon UK would’ve already had a good collection of imports like the US Amazon does. For the most part, Amazon US or one of its affiliated retailers has just about every imported special edition release for Arrow and the like already in country. So when I purchase a Blu ray produced in a different region, it only costs as much as a regular R1 release and is deliverered on Prime’s free two day shipping.
    They probably don't do that in the UK as the market would be relatively small, so it's not really worth it for Amazon to do that. Maybe some slightly different rules regarding these things over here compared to there, too maybe?

I've ordered that disc up, so fingers crossed it makes it here in good time and such.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not the typical type of releases we discuss, but I felt like they were big ones that deserve a mention. I know tthat I’ll definitely be picking them up:

Batman: The Animated Series - Complete Blu Ray Collection

No release date other than “Late 2018”, but Warner Brothers have announced that they’ve gone back to the original camera negatives in order to remaster the complete series for high definition. Considering that they’ve put so much effort into remastering the series, we can also likely expect commentaries and good features.

Batman TAS is a seminal moment in The Dark Knight’s history and is considered by many(myself included) to be the most definitive depiction of the character outside of the comics. The show began after the success of Tim Burton’s film, but quickly carved it’s own place in history with high praise from critics and fans alike. It’s one of my all-time favorite shows of any genre and I’ll be happily picking it up on day one!

George Carlin Commemorative Blu Ray/DVD Collection:

Encompassing over five decades of George Carlin’s hilarious and groundbreaking career, the GEORGE CARLIN COMMEMORATIVE COLLECTION brings together for the first time all of the legendary comedian’s HBO® specials plus hours of bonus material, including Carlin’s posthumous audio release, I Kinda Like It When a Lotta People Die. Featuring never-before-released material from the 1960’s all the way through to the 2000’s, including the oft-requested 40 Years of Comedy special hosted by Jon Stewart, the GEORGE CARLIN COMMEMORATIVE COLLECTION is a must for fans of this icon of American comedy and represents the most complete collection of Carlin performances to date.
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Jun-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    You can order US imports from british amazon, but American amazon is the distributor. In this instance British amazon is just a channel through which the order is placed.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Universal Pictures will be releasing their 30-disc complete monsters collection on August 28th of this year. Featuring all of their “Universal Monsters” films with each of their individual sequels. Also includes the “Abbott and Costello Meet....” films.

https://videoeta.com/items/163900-cl...ilm-collection

Figures that this would be announced after I just recently purchased the box set with only the first films from each of the franchises....
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Jun-2018 at 07:19 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Figures that this would be announced after I just recently purchased the box set with only the first films from each of the franchises....
    I hate it when that happens. The number of times I've been scuppered after purchasing a DVD version of a film only for a fancy HD restoration packed with extras gets announced.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Scream Factory added more titles to their “Summer of Fear” sale. There are quite a few in there that I think some of you guys would enjoy.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/summer-of-fear

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It’s just been revealed that an all new 4K remaster of Zombie(1979) is in the works from Blue Underground:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=306721

I’ve never been a big fan of the film, but I know it’s highly regarded by quite a few members around here. I hear the current Arrow release already has impressive picture quality, so it’s yet to be seen just how much of an improvement this new 4K edition might be.
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Jun-2018 at 03:31 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    It’s just been revealed that an all new 4K remaster of Zombie(1979) is in the works from Blue Underground:

I’ve never been a big fan of the film, but I know it’s highly regarded by quite a few members around here. I hear the current Arrow release already has impressive picture quality, so it’s yet to be seen just how much of an improvement this new 4K edition might be.
    Aye, I've got the Arrow Video release, so I don't think I'd want to double dip ... actually, triple dip come to think of it (I also own the 25th Anniversary R1 DVD edition from Shriek Show) ... although whether that new restoration would make it over here is another thing entirely.

I recently re-watched the film with the audio commentary on the Arrow release. The annoying thing about it was the sound mix - the film's audio was way too friggin' loud --- I hate it when that happens --- how hard is it to make sure the background audio is quiet?! The purpose of a commentary is to be able to hear the commentary!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

I have the Arrow Steelbook. I don't think I'd double dip on this, but I'm glad the film is seeing some love.
    I'm a big fan of it. I don't like everything Fulci released. City of the Living Dead and The Beyond are good for nostalgic reasons. House by the Cemetary I find dull. I haven't even bothered with Manhattan Baby which I hear is a bit a let down.
    I prefer his giallo. The Psychic is really good. Don't Torture a Duckling is perhaps better.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Would you guys say Zombie is probably his best or the most widely appreciated? Being that I’ve seemed to lighten up on films in recent years, I was thinking of giving it another try to see if I’m more accepting of it now. For example, I used to dislike both Return and Dawn04, but have come around to being able to enjoy them for what they are. So Zombie is worth a shot, I suppose. Unless you fellas think I should start with another Fulci film first?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Would you guys say Zombie is probably his best or the most widely appreciated? Being that I’ve seemed to lighten up on films in recent years, I was thinking of giving it another try to see if I’m more accepting of it now. For example, I used to dislike both Return and Dawn04, but have come around to being able to enjoy them for what they are. So Zombie is worth a shot, I suppose. Unless you fellas think I should start with another Fulci film first?
    Fulci's forray is somewhat diverse for being a iconic horror director. He did films over the span of more than 20 years and his first films do not really have anything in common with his later works. Zombie was ushered into his foray of gore fests that he directed in the 80's. Prior to that his films were much more slow burning thrillers with a sometimes naturalistic approach. Also that's not even taking into account some of the films he made that only an italian could love, like the comedies.

I suggest Zombie as a start off point. If you don't like that, give Don't Torture a Duckling a try. If you don't like that, don't bother with anything else.