Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 'The Happening' - oh dear!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Both prom night and the happening had me and my friends in stitches the whole way through. Both attempt horror and degenerate to a knee slapping satire of the genre, albeit ,an unintentional one.

Dying

Undisclosed
    I've read a few reviews and can't help wondering if some of the humor was intentional.

*spoiler alert*
    Review by Louise Keller:
    The Happening is at its most ridiculous when Mark Wahlberg's logic-driven science teacher, Elliot, starts talking to a pot plant in a bid to negate a potential attack of poisonous toxins. Never mind that the plant is plastic or that it sits in one of the rooms of a model home in the middle of nowhere.

That sounds like something you would see in a Ed Wood movie.
    Last edited by major jay; 14-Jun-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    he doesnt know its plastic, or a model home till after he talks to it.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post

it was hilarious when he was talking to it

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just saw this... movie? It was the most unintentionally-hilarious movie I've seen in a LONG time. The death scenes were awesome... but, in my honest opinion, the dialogue was terrible, the directing was god awful, and the thing which caused "the happening" was pretty damn stupid.

A good premise that was terribly executed with extremely sub-par film-making and a horrible antagonist!!!

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Worth watching though?
    He is kidding you, its a HORRIBLE movie... as if the beating us over the head with his ridiculous politics wasnt bad enough, you get ot sit there for 90 minutes and watch people run away from.... wait for it... wait for it.... WIND!!!! OH NO!!!!! WIND IS COMING RUN!

The movie never starts...I didn't feel like i was watching the end of society in this film i felt like i was watching the end of a horrid career. Shamalamadingdong has once again pooped onto the silver screen but used awesome marketing to cover up his utter mess of a film. AVOID this film like the undead plague!

Quote Originally Posted by major jay View Post
    Would you say it was entertaining in a "so bad it was good" sort of way?
    NO, It was defiantly not on par on that level with ay Troll 2, it was just a horrid horrid movie that tried to take itself seriously and beat you over the head with BS about pretend global warming, there is even a sign in the film that says "you deserve this" once again mankind is evil and wicked and needs to die so you know the good beings... plants can rule supreme. Its absurd!

The acting was hideous, the story atrocious, there were laughs coming during "serious" scenes in the audience that must not have been intended. This was a horrible horrible film. SOMEONE needs to break Shamadingdongs fingers so he cannot work a camera ever again.
    Last edited by Khardis; 16-Jun-2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I disagree, Khardis. This is definitely going to be a movie I'm going to be picking up on DVD (from the bargain shelf, no doubt) shortly after it comes out. The perfect flick to get with some buddies, drink some beers, burn one, and just laugh your ass off at the movie... in the vein of something like, say, Chopping Mall. A very campy movie, albeit unintentional.

I also had the same viewing experience... although the theatre only consisted of about 12 people, all of us were laughing our ass' off at the unwitting hilarity of a good amount of the movie.

PS - I'm trying to deter from calling this thing a 'film'.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i not kidding anyone despite what others say. GREAT movie in that u dont even see a villain or bad guy and its one of those 60's movies where it just relies on your senses to manifest your own personal fear of it. it was good til that craptastic ending. and i WILL be picking it up on dvd

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    ....and he only figured out it was plastic because it didn't answer him, right?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    ....and he only figured out it was plastic because it didn't answer him, right?
    hahahahaha!

Dying

Undisclosed
    What do you guys think of this comment by the director? Do you agree? Did it remind you of a zombie flick?

CNN: So a lot of people are going to see this and say, "Is this an environment movie?" Are you sending an Al Gore-like message out here, or is it just a thriller?

Shyamalan: No. 1, it's a B movie. This is the best B movie you will ever see, that's it. That's what this is. If there's other things that stick to your ribs as you walk out, that's great, but it's supposed to be, you know, zombies eating flesh.

CNN: So when you say B, you don't mean honeybee?

Shyamalan: No, I meant like, you know, zombies and killer things running around.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I think MNS is essentially regarding zombie flicks as nothing but B Movies in his mind ... pfft ... Dawn of the Dead is much more than just some B movie.

He's not saying that The Happening is a zombie flick, he's saying it's his idea of a 'b movie', and the only example he can think of in such an eloquent manner (sarcasm overload) is "zombies and killer things running around" ...

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    Shamalamadingdong
    Heh heh heh. Funny stuff, dude!

I never been a fan of Shamalonadingdong either.

United States
    Did anyone that has seen the movie get the idea that M. Night was aiming for a B-movie? Or is this just some crap he's pulling after he realized that the movie sucked?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."