Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Segway company owner dies riding Segway off cliff?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    They're us... that's all. We're them, and they're us.
    People are alike... all over.
    Whew, quotes! Even I don't know where they originate!
    Irony, yes... tricky thing to use properly. Morisette... yeah, I saw a comedian point out when that song was still young that the things it listed weren't ironic, merely unfortunate, and it's true. This is why The Clash will always be better than anything else. Good song writing.
    Hmm, what a boastful claim! The Clash, better than anything else? I'd like to see me prove that one in court! Tosser...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Like say a guy who picks peaches for a living dies by choking on the pit. Most would say that's ironic.

that's ironic but rain on your wedding day, nah...unfortunate - rain on the wedding day if they'd booked their wedding on a thai beach just to avoid bad weather at home, spent thousands getting everyone out there, then it rains...yeah that's ironic.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    What are "internet people"?
    I think that's me.

I'm not calling anyone up - i'm just interested in how we've forgotten the real meaning of the word and use it to describe any event that has coincidental significance...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    i'm just interested in how we've forgotten the real meaning of the word and use it to describe any event that has coincidental significance...
    Meh, languages change. "We've forgotten the real meaning" is practically an oxymoron if "we" refers to common usage. It annoys me how people use "decimate," knowing it originally meant to kill one in ten, but man, that's water long gone under the bridge.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Meh, languages change. "We've forgotten the real meaning" is practically an oxymoron if "we" refers to common usage. It annoys me how people use "decimate," knowing it originally meant to kill one in ten, but man, that's water long gone under the bridge.
    True dat!

United States
    *bursts into the room and screams*

SKYNET!!!!!!!!!!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I think that's me.

I'm not calling anyone up - i'm just interested in how we've forgotten the real meaning of the word and use it to describe any event that has coincidental significance...
    Not you specifically, just read any thread on a webboard where the word irony is used more than once and you'll see the stage set for people to come in and make the same point. And to what end, I wonder? Pedantry has its place, but in relaxed conversation if we're to get on each other every time someone uses the word shutter instead of shudder, says the word literally, when they literally should have been saying figuratively or use decimate when they mean devastated, as opposed to a 1 in 10 purge of legionaries by their fellows, we can do that, but I'm not sure I like the rationale behind it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

United States
    It annoys me how people use "decimate," knowing it originally meant to kill one in ten, but man, that's water long gone under the bridge.
    Really? I like the word decimate, it paints a good picture, whether literal or not.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Not you specifically, just read any thread on a webboard where the word irony is used more than once and you'll see the stage set for people to come in and make the same point. And to what end, I wonder? Pedantry has its place, but in relaxed conversation if we're to get on each other every time someone uses the word shutter instead of shudder, says the word literally, when they literally should have been saying figuratively or use decimate when they mean devastated, as opposed to a 1 in 10 purge of legionaries by their fellows, we can do that, but I'm not sure I like the rationale behind it.
    This is silly. The concept of irony being misunderstood due in part to the accepted frame of reference being pop song lyrics written by a dumbbell is clearly not the same thing as message board squabbles over the correct usage of your/you're.

I'm not sure that pedantry ever has a place, but being able to communicate properly certainly does (or at least, it should).

P.S. I never use the word decimate and have never kissed the editor of the Radio Times.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 30-Sep-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    That we disagree is a tragedy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sounds more like when you check someone in chess ten times.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Really? I like the word decimate, it paints a good picture, whether literal or not.
    It also rhymes excellently in metal lyrics! :metal:

\m/

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    This is silly. The concept of irony being misunderstood due in part to the accepted frame of reference being pop song lyrics written by a dumbbell is clearly not the same thing as message board squabbles over the correct usage of your/you're.

I'm not sure that pedantry ever has a place, but being able to communicate properly certainly does (or at least, it should).

P.S. I never use the word decimate and have never kissed the editor of the Radio Times.
    I don't have many grammatical gripes to be honest - in fact I abbreviate and drop caps all the time -

one thing that really really pisses me off though, and I do bite my lip at this:

"I should of said something"

as oposed to

"I should HAVE said something" or "I should've said something"

That one really gets on my nerves, mainly because its a really lazy bastardisation of the correct word which has the same amount of characters. ARGH

United States
    Oh sure, SUPOSIBLY you don't like the rationale behind it....