Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Django Unchained (film)

Undisclosed
    Naaah. Death Proof is great. It's as if Godard made a tacky seventies grindhouse feature which is exactly how it was advertised.
    The dialogues in that film to me were comedy gold. All these chicks were talking like white guys trying to be cool street wise guys but failing to hide their overall geekiness (Dirty Mary Crazy Larry references and all). I found it very self indulgent on QT's part but also very, very funny.
    Plus: I dare you to name a better filmed, staged car chase in recent memory than the finale.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I cant even remember the car chase. While its probably good, i doubt it's excellent. The only car chase that sticks out in my mind is the one in Matrix Reloaded which is awesome. There's also more going on there. Death proof is just a car chasing another car, on empty roads, isn't it?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Death proof is just a car chasing another car, on empty roads, isn't it?
    I disagree. It's an old-school-feeling car-vs-car cat & mouse game, just two burly muscle cars growling at the camera as they yomp along back roads (there's a whole sequence where they weave through traffic and cause various accidents, including a motorcyclist smashing into a building), and with one of the lead actresses (also a stunt woman in real life) clinging to the bonnet (hood) of one of the cars (as previously featured in Vantage Point - one of the, if not the, greatest car movie(s) ever) for dear life as they charge along at I-don't-know-how-fast-but-it-was-ruddy-fast speeds. The hunted become the hunters and then its arse-kicking revenge.

Yeah, DP is probably one of QT's more indulgent flicks, and probably one of his most laid back films - but that's part of the reason I dig it. It's a movie I can kick back with, and then get a couple of jolts along the way. There could be more action peppered throughout, sure, but even still I just totally dug it. The music, the style, being able to just hang out with these two groups of chicks like a fly-on-the-wall, Mary Elizabeth Winstead in a cheerleader outfit, the kick arse car sequences, Kurt-fucking-Russell being all kinds of dangerously cool ... I just really dig that movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Ok, I see your point. I still don't like the film that much because I found it very boring. I also disliked Planet Terror, but from different reasons. I might rewatch Planet Terror sometime, båand maybe DP in some QT marathon. I hear there's a shorter version.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Ok, I see your point. I still don't like the film that much because I found it very boring. I also disliked Planet Terror, but from different reasons. I might rewatch Planet Terror sometime, båand maybe DP in some QT marathon. I hear there's a shorter version.
    Pardon my spelling, i blame the iPad.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ned - there's the stand-alone version and then there's the Grindhouse cut (Machete trailer, Planet Terror's shorter version, fake trailers, then Death Proof's shorter version). The stand-alone version of DP is 27 minutes longer than the Grindhouse cut of the movie.

Go here:
    http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=5013

Scroll down to the Death Proof section, and you can see a report on what is missing in the shorter version.

I've actually only seen the shorter version twice, but I've seen the longer version a good 4 or 5 times, so I'm more familiar with the longer cut. I'll have to pop in my Grindhouse Blu-Ray and give the DP section another spin out of interest.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 12-Jan-2013 at 05:27 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The stand-alone version of DP is 27 minutes longer than the Grindhouse cut of the movie.

Oh, excellent.. .an additional 27 minutes of talking that goes nowhere! Just what that movie needed!

</sarcasm>

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Oh, excellent.. .an additional 27 minutes of talking that goes nowhere! Just what that movie needed!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    An issue with 27 additional minutes of really hot women?!? What is the world coming to?

Last edited by bassman; 14-Jan-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    An issue with 27 additional minutes of really hot women?!? What is the world coming to?

It's a madhouse! A madhouse!

United States

27 additional minutes of women that won't STFU? Yeah, that's what ALL us guys want, right guys?!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    27 additional minutes of women that won't STFU? Yeah, that's what ALL us guys want, right guys?!
    Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Rosario Dawson could read sleazy romance novels or the Twilight books to me for weeks and I wouldn't mind....

United States
    Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Rosario Dawson could read sleazy romance novels or the Twilight books to me for weeks and I wouldn't mind....

I never knew you were a Twilight fan, bass!

***edited to add: I saw what you did there, Aces.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 14-Jan-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Damn, we're on the same wavelength today, Bass.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    If only it WERE just 27 minutes... Instead we've got...

...women that won't STFU.
    Done.

Administrator

England
    Seeing it next Thursday... Looking forward to it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan