Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 3x05 "Say The Word" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Ahhhhh there's the Jaws reference lol can't believe I missed it.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    THX mentioned a Jaws reference, in a teasing way, a little while ago and I didn't notice it - well, I assumed that it'd be to do with the fish tanks and the heads, and I was looking for Ben Gardner's noggin, but didn't particularly notice it, but now you point it out specifically, yeah I had wondered if that was the one.

As for Flyboy zombie - I assume it's the little-seen one in the brown trousers and white shirt - we barely got a look at him, and as such the resemblance isn't really there to see. I think I recall Nicotero saying in an interview that they had to pretty much cut the Dawn reference from this episode, but that they were able to put a much better version of the reference into a later episode (3x15, I'm assuming) ... only time will tell.
    MinionZombie, the makeup redo that Greg has done for episode 315 of the other DAWN zombie cameo is definitely noticeable. I've seen a photo of the makeup and it's awesome...and very iconic.

United States
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    My crappy homemade meme but hey, it made me chuckle

Oh btw, rick going batshit crazy? YEAH I CALLED IT!
    Attached Images

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought of Dawn when seeing that zombie.

EDIT: Just saw it confirmed by Bassman the previous page. Yep, that's flyboy. Never noticed the Jaws reference either. I mut have seen that film a thousand times! lol
    Last edited by krisvds; 14-Nov-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: .

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought of Dawn when seeing that zombie.

EDIT: Just saw it confirmed by Bassman the previous page. Yep, that's flyboy. Never noticed the Jaws reference either. I mut have seen that film a thousand times! lol
    HOLY F*CK. I figured I was hallucinating when I thought I saw Flyboy on the Walking Dead. I'm not (as) crazy (as I thought)!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    MinionZombie, the makeup redo that Greg has done for episode 315 of the other DAWN zombie cameo is definitely noticeable. I've seen a photo of the makeup and it's awesome...and very iconic.
    Sounds good to me ... so many iconic zombies in Dawn, I have a couple of possibilities in mind. Can't wait to see what it'll be when the episode rolls around.

Yep - that's Flyboy alright. Shame we didn't get a better look at him in the episode itself. Saved that picture for posterity.

Super Moderator

United States
    Really one of the cooler homages I've seen done in good long awhile.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wonder if the extra playing Stephen had any idea what kind of iconic character he was portraying. Surely Nicotero and the make up crew told him, though. Hopefully he was a fan. That shouldn't go to any ol' extra.

United States
    totally missed the "son of flyboy" walker. perhaps they should've made a bit more effort to give him a little more screen time.i've only watched the episode once, but i don't recall seeing him at all....

then again, that was kind of a chaotic scene with merle and his sparring partner fighting inside a circle of walkers with a large and boisterous crowd cheering them on while skynyrd was blaring at full volume. i think if i was calling the shots around the set, walkers that are meant to be recognized by diehards would have their own scene where they were not surrounded by a bunch of distracting bullshit.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    totally missed the "son of flyboy" walker. perhaps they should've made a bit more effort to give him a little more screen time.i've only watched the episode once, but i don't recall seeing him at all....

then again, that was kind of a chaotic scene with merle and his sparring partner fighting inside a circle of walkers with a large and boisterous crowd cheering them on while skynyrd was blaring at full volume. i think if i was calling the shots around the set, walkers that are meant to be recognized by diehards would have their own scene where they were not surrounded by a bunch of distracting bullshit.
    After watching again, they never really did give it it's proper screen time. You can see it on the top right corner of the zombie squared circle.

Administrator

England
    After watching again, they never really did give it it's proper screen time. You can see it on the top right corner of the zombie squared circle.
    After watching it again, did the Lori scene make anymore sense? That scene felt messy and didn't quite explain itself very well IMHO!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If I remember correctly, Merle also rubs his hand on it's head when he's showing off to the crowd...

Neil - I felt the Lori scene was a bit more clear on a second viewing. I never understood why people were jumping to conclusions that she was alive, but my second viewing pointed out some things I hadn't noticed the first time around. Her shirt/vest is lying in the trail of blood, the walker has locks of her hair, etc. Lori is definitely dead. I'm not sure why tons of people across the net are insisting otherwise...
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Nov-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Neil - I felt the Lori scene was a bit more clear on a second viewing. I never understood why people were jumping to conclusions that she was alive, but my second viewing pointed out some things I hadn't noticed the first time around. Her shirt/vest is lying in the trail of blood, the walker has locks of her hair, etc. Lori is definitely dead. I'm not sure why tons of people across the net are insisting otherwise...
    I got half an impression she was a walker:-
    1) We didn't see the head shot itself, as if maybe for this very reason.
    2) There was literally NOTHING of her body left, as if it had walked off!
    3) I certainly didn't get the impression every last piece of it had been eaten or (for some odd reason) carried away. Which frankly didn't make much sense IMHO.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I got half an impression she was a walker:-
    1) We didn't see the head shot itself, as if maybe for this very reason.
    2) There was literally NOTHING of her body left, as if it had walked off!
    3) I certainly didn't get the impression every last piece of it had been eaten or (for some odd reason) carried away. Which frankly didn't make much sense IMHO.
    1) After the harrowing scene, they wouldn't go so far as to show Lori's head getting blown apart by a bullet, cast down upon her dead cranium by her own traumatised son - it'd be going a bit far, and really, is entirely unnecessary. The sound and the look on Maggie's face (then Carl's) is far more effective.

2 & 3) All down to the problematic translation of the 'zombie dragging the body elsewhere to eat it' theory that Nicotero himself posited on The Talking Dead. Lori's dead, she was shot in the head, her body was dragged away (no doubt to avoid pulling in Callies to just lie on a floor, as well as subjecting less hardened viewers from the sight of her mangled corpse - even T-Dog's remains were fairly obscured from view), and was either totally consumed (bollocks - what about the bones?) or was partially devoured and the rest is behind a stack of boiler room stuff out-of-sight.

Now - if there were remains, were they removed? If so, how come nobody saw the bloated walker sitting right there with it's massive trouser boner?

However, if no remains were buried, why did they dig three graves? You have T-Dog's remains, yes, so that's one - but you don't need to dig two more graves (in the event of there being no remains for Lori, and Carol being only missing-and-presumed-dead).

Yeah ... there's some script and directorial plotholes in this episode alright. It's still a good episode, but there's so many small details that are left hanging here - none of the previous episodes so far this season have had this sort of forgetfulness.