Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x05 "Internment" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Bingo. Here comes the flood of people complaining about logic again. We don't know when the guns were placed there so let's stop assuming.
    Yeah, MK, it always seems silly to me when people make negative assumptions, when they could just as easily make assumptions that are not only just as plausible, but make more sense and are in tune with the fictional world they're bothering to watch (ostensibly) for their own entertainment.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    The problems with that are;
    1. There comes a point where reducing the noise of gunfire becomes less important than the immediate threat of so many walkers at the fence that it's inevitably coming down. It's easier to keep culling the numbers at the fence as more show up than it is to let the fence come down and then fire, attracting more walkers anyway, and having a large part of the fence damaged allowing them to flow in freely.

2. If they're trying to conserve ammo, not cutting loose in full auto, with tons of body shots seems like a good strategy. You have a better chance of sustaining single shot kills by firing through the fence in semi auto than waiting for the fence to be breached and dumping multiple mags into a large group. Either way, you're gonna attract more walkers. The difference is that 1 way allows you to still have a fence to keep them at bay as they arrive, the other means you have a huge breach in the fence and have already spent a large amount of ammo while walkers continue to arrive and flood through the breach.

Also, the fence has been a weak point of the prisons security since last season. Why haven't they reinforced it yet?
    You are right Babomb. I didnt mind or fault not shooting at the fence only because I enjoyed the father/son shoot/bond moment. To me it was worth it. A plot device to give us a cool scene. Practical? No. But I can live with it.

The full auto issue. I thought about complaining as we both know the gun handling issues have never been a strong suit. Even Ricks quick tutorial about slapping the bolt closed first, inserting mag then pulling the "operating bolt"(i think he said) didnt make sense. I am an advocate for semi auto. Having a full auto rifle at my disposal it is far easier to shoot accurately and repeatedly with semi. Full auto has its use though. And actually when I rewatched this scene they were shooting short bursts. I wouldnt say that is horrible considering you have a slow moving force that is funneled and all standing at similar height. If a person knows how to lean into auto fire with controlled bursts and slight and I mean slight sweeping motions in those circumstances it could be effective. Carl's stance and even Ricks to a lesser extent show neither was positioned correctly though. Im nitpicking here though. It was good enough for me. Had they went full Steele mode then it would have been beyond rediculous if it was effective.

And you know why the fence hasnt been reinforced yet? Rick tossed Carol.....I kid I kid

England
    Some of you seem to be under the impression this is a survival documentary. It isn't. Its based on a comic.
    Besides, if they executed the perfect survival plan it would be boring as hell. We probably wouldn't even see a zombie.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Some of you seem to be under the impression this is a survival documentary. It isn't. Its based on a comic.
    Besides, if they executed the perfect survival plan it would be boring as hell. We probably wouldn't even see a zombie.
    I agree with you. It would be boring. But sometimes you have to talk about stuff on a forum. I still believe this is the best tv show in my history. I love it. Cant get enough. Sometimes we have to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the ride.

And comic role or not I need more Maggie.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I agree with you. It would be boring. But sometimes you have to talk about stuff on a forum. I still believe this is the best tv show in my history. I love it. Cant get enough. Sometimes we have to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the ride.

And comic role or not I need more Maggie.
    Discussion topics like the previous "Indifference" thread are awesome. Discussions about logic on a TV show like this just comes off as complaining and is pretty annoying; especially when it feels like people are purposely looking for holes to yap about.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I still believe this is the best tv show in my history.
    Better than Manimal? Oh, Face, how you do go on.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    So, there's a big box'o'guns in yard and they wait until the fence breaks and all the lads pile in before they use them to thin out the numbers?

That's bleedin stupid.
    Indeed! Maybe they needed a comment in there before on not wanting to waste their ammo!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    If they had a shitload of fuel to spare they could have just sprayed the herd down and lit them up - if Carol was still around she'd have loved doing that chore!

Of course, they have neither ... but a nerd can postulate.

Agreed on the logic nitpicking - to an extent it's valid, but at the same time there's so much other stuff to get on with that you'd severely hinder yourself if you had a big old breakdown of every single set design decision or whatever ... they could have just thrown a tarp over the top of the crate and had some rope around some loops to keep it from blowing away - it keeps the rain out ... however, in the heat of the moment, you're wasting precious on-screen seconds to tell the rest of your story by showing them having to - in this scenario - pull off the secured tarp. It's better to let some little details slide and have enough time to cover your drama and action needs ... ... although they could have had a box with a lid on it - flip the lid and done.

However, the showmakers have so many decisions to make on a daily basis, with so many things to think about concerning plot and season-wide character arcs (even cross-season arcs) that a poxy box becomes absolutely meaningless by comparison, so it's not worth the worry. They need a box of guns at that moment - here, have a box of guns.

I saw a comment elsewhere where someone was complaining that Rick used an incorrect term regarding a particular piece of that assault rifle when he was quickly teaching Carl how to use it ... but another poster made a good point in arguing that Rick was using simpler terminology (especially in the panic-stricken heat of that moment as they're about to be swarmed upon) to get the point across to Carl in an easier fashion.

I keep thinking about that scene with Carl and Rick shooting up the walkers ... an awesome scene ... action packed, yes, but a father and son side-by-side, defending their camp from doom, really got my hair standing on end. Rick's look at Carl - a mixture of pride that his son is so capable, but also fear and confusion - this is a child, his child, and here they are fighting for their lives by shooting walkers ... in any other context a child with an assault rifle would be a thing to fear. That bizarre schism in Rick's look was really powerful ... the actors have a lot of cool moments to slip in these complex emotions. Great stuff.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Discussions about logic on a TV show like this just comes off as complaining and is pretty annoying; especially when it feels like people are purposely looking for holes to yap about.
    I tend to agree. I love the idea of formulating my own "ideal plans" in the situations I see presented on the show (or in the comic) but being nitpicky looking for plot holes gets boring.

England
    If you look for faults in TV series, (any TV series ever made), you will find them.

Hell, if somebody had used a decent fingerprint team in Breaking Bad, Walt and Jesse would have both been locked up by the end of season 2 at the latest, their dabs were at every major murder scene and meth related incident in the show, but you let it go, you decide if the good outweighs the bad, you decide if you will forgive flaws in a great 45 minutes or so of entertainment.

I could personally point out and fix flaws in every TV series I've ever seen and loved...but I couldn't create or drive these series, so I am just thankful they are there and on standby if any of them ever need an outside opinion.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Have we all forgotten about the rats/mice at the fence?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The original edit of this episode finished with a slow reveal shot of the governor holding a catapult and a bag of rats.

True fact.

(okay, it's probably that weird scary girl)
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Not at all. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten too much of an emphasis on the show since 4x2. Then again we haven't seen Beth and Judith two episodes in a row. I believe our answer will be given soon enough as the mid season finale approaches. Do we still think Lizzie did it? I sure do.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Not too far fetched to assume the Gov has been watching them for awhile including seeing their strategic holes in the fence. I think they are mostly twist tied so he doesnt need a key. And team prison has become too complacent to keep a 24/7 watch so nightfall can easily mask the Gov's movements.

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I thought it was a pretty good episode. I'd like to see how Daryl reacts to the carol exile.

I have a theory: Daryl (maybe with michonne) goes to find her and run into the governor and it goes kind of comic like and then the Gov kills daryl. Because Daryl has become more of a fan favorite than rick by a long shot and rick is supposed to be the protagonist in this show. I certainly hope this doesn't happen and think the show would lose a lot of interest (for me for certain)if they did kill off daryl for shock and awe value.

Meh about the gun handling issue.

What did bother me, and has bothered me int he past is this: WTF is with the governor having the "stealth mode" cheat code? Seems that even with enough walkers around to be dangerous to the fence he can just chill and stand around and watch the prison. Like when he grabbed andrea, walkers everywhere EXCEPT where he's wrestling a struggling woman to the ground and tying her up?

Maybe he got it the same place hershel got his infinite ammo cheat.

Re: the governor storyline; In my perfect walking dead show they'd give the governor lizzie as a replacement for his daughter/niece and she'd stab him in the dick.
    Last edited by zombieparanoia; 13-Nov-2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: harglblargh