Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question for Spaced fans....

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    probably old doctor who dvds and cigarettes.
    Now thats my kind of vice... and J & B whiskey!

Kazakhstan
    bushmills too

i'll definitely be a red nosed, toothless whiskey drinker in my old age, hehe.

United States
    My Spaced box set came this weekend. WOOHOO!!!

Too bad I didn't have time to watch the whole thing this weekend (still busting apart my basement putting in a new bathroom and such), but my wife was so hooked after watching the first episode that we had to watch 5 more after it in a row!

Spaced is a fantastic show!! I'm glad you guys finally pointed me in the right direction to pick this up, 'cause it's well worth every cent. The US couldn't make a show like this if they tried.

Good stuff, thanks for the recommendation.

...and just FYI, Amazon.uk got me my order in 7 days. Not too shabby when coming from across the pond!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Are the discs R1, Lou?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    told ya, you cant just watch one ep on its own, my favs from disc one are clubbing and "art"...i think thats the one with the little britain guy in.

Kazakhstan
    yeah and his little sidekick hoover is paul kaye of denis pennis/it's all gone pete tong fame.

a v well cast show!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Are the discs R1, Lou?
    bassman - nope, they're R2 and in PAL format. The PAL format didn't bother me 'cause I have a player that will do NTSC and PAL - but the region coding was another story... nothing DVD Shrink and AnyDVD wouldn't take care of though.

I used those two programs, copied the discs to my HD, burned on my own media, and had a Region Free, PAL format Spaced Box set.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Crap.

Why, oh why haven't they released the series over here yet?!?!?

I'll be an old man before I get the chance to see them. You would think they would get that going after Shaun was a pretty big success over here. Bah....waiting sucks.

Kazakhstan
    well, we may have the dvds here, but the the first series was repeated once, and the second series was only ever shown the one time back in 2001, i too would have thought they might have cashed in on shaun there...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    acutally there shown on paramount comedy all the time, usually around the same time trailer park boys is on.

United States
    Hmm, I've never seen it on here in the states, but then again, I haven't been looking for it as I figured it was just a show they only showed "across the pond".

It does suck it's not available on R1 discs. I hate having to "get around" the region coding, but it's worth the work (and all I really do is run two programs and press 3 buttons), but still, a R1 US release would've been nice.

Trust me, i've looked EVERYWHERE for a US retailer of this box set - nada, nothin', zip, zilch. Only Amazon UK had it (and other retailers in the UK) and I only found it there 'cause of MZ (thanks you bastard, now i'm hooked on another show.. ).

LC

Super Moderator

UK

Muahahahaaaaaaaaa, I'm as evil and maniacal as your avatar looks.

Glad you're digging the show, Spaced is indeed a work of genius, and I find it quite strange they didn't leap on the Shaun bandwagon and release it over there as I'm sure it would have done very well indeed, even if part of the potential audience are the sort of people who just go "awww, ain't it quaint and English..." - some of the audience might say that in America I would have thought, you guys over there certainly like a British accent.

United States
    Hell yes we love that accent!

Y"know what's weird? it took me to get through the first episode to get "in line" with the british humor. After that, the wife and I laughed through almost all 4 of the other episodes we watched (and "Pete" - don't know his real name - made an appearance a bit later in the episodes we were watching! w00t! ). The show, once you get your brain wrapped around the humor - which is much different than it is here in the US - is some hilarious sh*t!!

Thanks much for pointing me in the right direction to find this, and damn you for getting me hooked on another show.. that's ok, at least it's a GOOD show and not some reality TV bullsh*t.

LC

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, you're welcome for pointing you in the right direction.

Indeed, British humour is very different to American humour - certainly in the realm of a "sitcom" anyway, heck, even though Spaced is kinda classed as a sitcom, it's not very sitcom-ish. Single camera, no laugh track, not filmed "live" and only ran for 14 episodes.

The guy played by "Pete" from Shaun is played by Peter "Darth Maul's voice" Serofinowicz (sp?).

I guess, in general, American humour - particularly in sitcoms - goes for the more stereotypical, 'obvious' road - as in you can see the jokes coming from a mile off in some cases and you expect certain things to happen. It's also a bit more lampooned for the audience.

British humour goes for originality within the genre, rather than sticking to what the genre is stereotypically like. They go for the unseen joke, they show you the unexpected, they riff on the English language, they freeform the ideas.

I was thinking about it in another way recently as well:

American and British sitcoms take the same 'amount' of humour clay from a pile - now, the American sitcom will stretch this one ball over 200+ episodes. The British sitcom will liberally hand it around a mere 12 or 14 (certainly less than 50 in most cases).

Not a watertight theory or explanation, but a theory nonetheless.

United States
    oh yes!! That's Peeeeeeeeeeeeeete Serafinowicz!
    I knew you'd get into these shows Lou!
    Now, I've recently been introduced to another British series called Father Ted. I've got season one - watched it - enjoyed it! Different style of humor than Pegg and Wright, but, well worth watching!
    It's shown on BBC America according to my woman but I never knew about it - give that one a shot if you get a chance.
    In season 3, they do a spoof of Night of the Living Dead, only it's old ladies climbing through the windows instead of zombies. Can't wait to see that in full!