Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: History Channel; Life After People.

Super Moderator

UK
    Maybe I'm confusing myself, no idea...but aye the stuff with the camera crew with the scientists sneaking around inside it was proper creepy and fascinating.

Have they ever had a camera inside the reactor itself to actually see that flipped over reactor lid? I wonder if it looks anything like it does in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl? (Minus the Monolith of course).

Here's an interesting sounding video (currently downloading it now, 233mb):

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DN
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 31-Jan-2008 at 10:47 AM.

United States
    Thread necromancy time...apparently The History Channel is launching this as a regular series starting this Tuesday @ 10:00. Dunno how long it can be sustained for, but should be interesting to start off. The original special was pretty cool.

United States
    now that i've got dvr, i'll definitely be watching this.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hopefully they:

1) WRITE A BETTER SCRIPT - both 'post apocalyptic documentaries' that have been out recently have had awful scripts.

2) QUIT USING THE SAME SHOTS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN - again, both of these 'docs' use the same shots (often CG ones) time and time again.

3) STOP MAKING A SIMPLE POINT IN THE MOST DRAWN OUT MANNER.

Actually I blogged about both of these docs when I originally saw them...

Life After People:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/01...atrocious.html

Aftermath: Population Zero:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/06...e-musings.html
    (scroll down to see the entry)

United States
    Watched a similar National Geographic special called Aftermath: Population Zero yesterday. Basically what would happen to the Earth if all the people on the planet instantly disappeared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4R8IkSOY9k

If you watch note the writers anti-nuclear agenda with the film. How a few days after humans disappear the spent fuel rods stored in cooling pools at nuclear reactors would catch fire. The resulting radioactive steam clouds and fires would cause hundreds of Chernobyl style events across the Northern Hemisphere.
    Last edited by Eyebiter; 20-Apr-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Super Moderator

UK
    If you watch note the writers anti-nuclear agenda with the film. How a few days after humans disappear the spent fuel rods stored in cooling pools at nuclear reactors would catch fire. The resulting radioactive steam clouds and fires would cause hundreds of Chernobyl style events across the Northern Hemisphere.
    But there's no people - so obviously such a thing could happen - but there'd be no people to kill anyway, but yes, lots of environmental damage - however, mankind isn't going to suddenly vanish like some Chris Angel David Blane Mind Freak trap door horse shit, so there's always gonna be people around to stop nuclear power plants from going into meltdown.

Chernobyl was Chernobyl - a disaster - but it was also in 1986. Methinks they're far safer these days, with better training for the technicians and a whole bunch of fail safes.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    so there's always gonna be people around to stop nuclear power plants from going into meltdown.

i dunno about that dude,there may well be people left, but i doubt any one of us ordinary folk would know how to prevent a nuclear reactor from going into meltdown!we'd have to hope some of the technicians survived i guess!

Super Moderator

United States
    I suppose I should be happy that the History Channel isn't doing another Mostly Deadliest Ax-Road Truckers series. I hate that shit. It isn't History and none of it is interesting enough to deserve it's own on-going series, accept--perhaps--on something like the Discovery Channel.

I suspect this could be an okay series for a season, but will grow thin very quickly. And, MZ, you're right about their penchant for re-using visual effects, so I expect that we'll see that quite a bit.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 20-Apr-2009 at 04:27 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I suppose I should be happy that the History Channel isn't doing another Mostly Deadliest Ax-Road Truckers series. I hate that shit. It isn't History and none of it is interesting enough to deserve it's own on-going series, accept--perhaps--on the something like the Discovery Channel.
    amen to that. the history channel has been going slowly downhill recently with all the deadliest this and that, all the lunatic fringe shows about how aliens built the pyramids and are responsible for the big mac. add to that all these inane, ultra idiotic shows about 2012 (all of which are bullshit) and that channel is waist deep and sinking fast.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    i dunno about that dude,there may well be people left, but i doubt any one of us ordinary folk would know how to prevent a nuclear reactor from going into meltdown!we'd have to hope some of the technicians survived i guess!
    I'm not talking about anyone dying - it's either all-or-nothing basically, is what I'm saying.

If we're here, nuclear power stations are safe - we're in charge of them, they're far more advanced these days, they've got fail safes etc ... ... if we all disappeared, well shit, we're not here anymore so obviously it'll eventually fuck up - they specifically require humans to be in charge - otherwise you have to go SkyNet, and that's not a good idea.

United States
    well, after sitting though a couple episodes this evening, i doubt this show will last more than a season or two. pretty crappy production: just a few professors on their off days discussing buildings eroding due to centuries of weather without mankind's maintenance, some sci-fi channel quality CGI that loops numerous times throughout the program, and a guy trying to sound like the dude who does all the movie previews talking about buildings collapsing and vegetation running wild....although somewhat informative, pretty much a snooze-fest.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    well, after sitting though a couple episodes this evening, i doubt this show will last more than a season or two. pretty crappy production: just a few professors on their off days discussing buildings eroding due to centuries of weather without mankind's maintenance, some sci-fi channel quality CGI that loops numerous times throughout the program, and a guy trying to sound like the dude who does all the movie previews talking about buildings collapsing and vegetation running wild....although somewhat informative, pretty much a snooze-fest.
    Sounds like all the main issues as to why the original docs weren't as good as they should have been - ergo, I'm going to give this show a miss.