Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Why people hate LOTD

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    now if i was him, i wouldnt have even done a mall bit, just keep her running adn viewing the u.s fall apart as she crosses it, make the entire movie like the opening, granted itd be the most expesnive horror movei ever but thats easily a 9 out of 10

United States
    True true true !

Super Moderator

UK
    Who'd need that when World War Z is gonna get made? Now that is a zombie war epic in waiting, I'm still reading the book, just read the chapter about German forces having to retreat (just after the bit about Redecker - which was awesome by the way).

Now if they can make that book into an awesome movie that is faithful to the source material - THAT will be worth while. Something new in and of itself.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    im at the bit were there camping in the north in the audio novel, i think mark hamils performance as the army vet in the world war z audio novel was great, i hope he plays the dude in the movie as well.

Super Moderator

UK
    Audio Novel?! You lazy bastard!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    well i heard that it had some names in it like hamil so it was the proper choice, plus i couldnt find a torrent of a pdf

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Dawn '78 wasn't subtle in its commentary. However, the commentary flowed from the plot very well so it didn't draw attention to itself like what happens in Land. Yes, the survivors embraced consumerism with gusto. But you don't scratch your head and wonder why. With Land we find ourselves excusing the plot and characters, explaining that any deficiencies exist to support the director's message.

I agree that characters have intentional flaws and those are not plot holes. Where I see plot holes are where the society's flaws on a whole literally defy its existence. The sheer ineptitude of the Green to defend itself makes you wonder how it ever came to be, or how it has managed to stay in power at all.

I understand the message that Big Daddy and the zombies were evolving past their need to feed. I agree that is likely the vision Romero intended. But I think it's lame and contributes to Land being a bad movie.

Bub was a horror masterpiece. He gave us hope that the zombies could overcome their instincts. But that hope was snatched away when we discover he'd merely been trained to accept a deferred reward.

Changing the nature of zombies from flesh eating monsters to introspective misunderstood beings who just want to discuss their feelings over tea does not make the zombies more interesting, nor does it make Romero a visionary.

For a Land Sequel I think we should have Litigation of the Dead, where Big Daddy represents Cholo and the other zombies in a class action lawsuit to get his money. With that much potential for social commentary you wouldn't need to burden yourself with plot at all.
    Excellent post.

You nailed the problem with the "Land" zombies right on the head.

I want my zeds smashing down barricades and trying to eat my brains...not "looking for a place to go"....jeez!

"Land" was a massive let down for me.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Excellent post.

I want my zeds smashing down barricades and trying to eat my brains...not "looking for a place to go"....jeez!

No you didn't!!! The brain faux pax!!! Get a rope!!!

I agree with you in principle though. . .. .
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

England
    Oops.

Of course, I meant "vital organs", not "brains"...easy mistake to make...

United States
    Maybe the zombies in Land stopped eating people because they do prefer brains and couldn't find any humans left with any.

And thanks for the props on my post!!

United States
    When did they stop eating people? They ate everyone in Fiddler's Green, and ate everyone that was trapped in "The Throat".

They ate all kinds of people in that movie.

United States
    Not when Big Daddy told 'em not to. You see when Big Daddy grunts and grits his teeth. . .that means "lunch time is over". . .or "Duck for cover!! They are shooting at us. Can't you see?" . . . or "Here, Using the aid of this grunt and this simple hand gesture, I would very much like for you to use your rapidly decomposing brain to make an unlikely leap of intuition thereby aiding us in our endeavor to raid the human city, not to dine upon them, but simply to oust them from their homes and cause general panic, thus exacting my revenge upon a man that I have never before seen, but that I, in some mysterious way, will know is the leader of said humans! .. . and. . umm. . then I'll blow his car up."
    Last edited by clanglee; 20-Oct-2007 at 09:47 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Not when Big Daddy told 'em not to. You see when Big Daddy grunts and grits his teeth. . .that means "lunch time is over". . .or "Duck for cover!! They are shooting at us. Can't you see?" . . . or "Here, Using the aid of this grunt and this simple hand gesture, I would very much like for you to use your rapidly decomposing brain to make an unlikely leap of intuition thereby aiding us in our endeavor to raid the human city, not to dine upon them, but simply to oust them from their homes and cause general panic, thus exacting my revenge upon a man that I have never before seen, but that I, in some mysterious way, will know is the leader of said humans! .. . and. . umm. . then I'll blow his car up."
    Just a few things....

"aiding us in our endeavor to raid the human city, not to dine upon them, but simply to oust them from their homes and cause general panic"
    This is what the humans had done to the dead in Uniontown where Big Daddy was from. He wanted to wreak the same havoc upon Fiddler's Green. Think 9/11 to Afghanistan.

"thus exacting my revenge upon a man that I have never before seen, but that I, in some mysterious way, will know is the leader of said humans! .. . and. . umm. . then I'll blow his car up"
    If you notice, Kaufman basically runs right into the wall of zombies coming his way. Then Kaufman shoots Big Daddy. This pisses Big Daddy off and he goes after him. BD didn't necesarilly know Kaufman was the leader, but Kaufman kinda showed him that he had something to do with it because he was the only human in Fiddler's Green that was shooting at the zombies.

And about the car blowing up.....Kaufman locked the doors. What else was BD to do? Chew his way through the car? He was an evolved zombie(and an ex-gas station attendant) so he knew what the gas could do and he took out the car.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ..for a few days ther ei really thought this descussio had finally died....

United States
    I hear you Bassman, but my point was, there were complex messages being passed from Big Daddy to the other "regular" zombies. I just incorperated some of my other beefs about the movie into my general rant. The idea of a GAR zombie advancing that far mentally was just plain silly. And him being able to teach the others, also silly. One would think that a zombie would start out smart, and then get dumber as time progressed, and his brain matter liquifies. Ahhh well.