Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Z (film)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    So, I have to go take some aspirin, as I rolled my eyes one too many times during the film, and I think I've strained them.
    Bicycles?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Bicycles?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by red max View Post
    As for the fast/slow preference, I agree that shufflers have a believability and menace that's far preferable to the shock tactics of the "Usain Bolts", but given the wide range of speed that living people can achieve (and the different circumstances of their deaths) wouldn't it make more sense for zombies to have a wide range of speeds too? Rather than all of them shambling at a uniform pace, surely some of them would be able to manage a mid-paced run, albeit a clumsy one?
    I can totally buy that. Zombie bodies would have a range of abilities like their owners did when alive. Some would be stronger and some weaker, some faster and some slower (compared to other zombies). Just so long as each individual's physical abilities are at least somewhat degraded from life, because, as MZ said, "death should be a disability." And gaining new abilities that the body did not have in life is right out.
    Last edited by Publius; 29-Jun-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: elaboration
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Super Moderator

UK
    @RedMax & Publius...

I'd say the maximum speed of a zombie should be the "Hinzman Hobble", which to me, is akin to doing just enough to put your next foot out in front of you before you fall over ... that kind of drunken stagger we've all been known to do. Indeed, that's kind of a zombie's range of motion - uncoordinated - and yet running/sprinting/climbing/etc are all very coordinated moves. If a zombie can't speak, reason, or be reasoned with, then how/why should it be capable of complicated and coordinated physical movements such as the above? This brings me back to my point of 'going beyond the suspension of disbelief'.

Certainly, a great big overweight zombie would be slower than a lean zombie, but the latter's maximum speed would be the aforementioned "Hinzman Hobble". Naturally there'd also be other pre-death limitations depending on the case - someone who had missing limbs, or was wheelchair-bound, or was blind, or couldn't hear etc, would naturally continue to be so in an undead state. Come to think of it - that's something we've not really (if ever) seen in zombie flicks - blind or deaf undead.

I also think that shamblers give the living just enough of a chance to either screw themselves/each other over, or perhaps eventually win the war.

Still haven't seen WWZ, but I did watch a promo clip from the plane sequence online ... yes, this is a totally disembodied clip, but purely reacting to that one clip, my thoughts on that particular clip:

1) Didn't like the "BOO!" scare of the zombie being discovered (was that in a cupboard/toilet? How did it get there? Hmmm...)
    2) I don't like insta-infection personally, but it's not high up my list of gripes either.
    3) I DID LIKE the idea of having to silently stack luggage up at the curtains to try and block the dead from getting to first class (I presume?) ... cool idea.
    4) I DID LIKE the moment between Pitt and the soldier when they both silently summed up that they needed to use the grenade - and that in order to have a chance, they needed to suck the dead out of the plane through a hole. That idea I rather like.
    5) I hated the raptor screams ... I seriously hate raptor screams in all cases.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    @RedMax & Publius...

I'd say the maximum speed of a zombie should be the "Hinzman Hobble", which to me, is akin to doing just enough to put your next foot out in front of you before you fall over ... that kind of drunken stagger we've all been known to do. .
    Max speed for dead and living zombies?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Max speed for dead and living zombies?
    Absolutely. You ever try running when plastered? Not a good idea.

Ireland
    I did watch a promo clip from the plane sequence online ... yes, this is a totally disembodied clip, but purely reacting to that one clip, my thoughts on that particular clip:

1) Didn't like the "BOO!" scare of the zombie being discovered (was that in a cupboard/toilet? How did it get there? Hmmm...)
    2) I don't like insta-infection personally, but it's not high up my list of gripes either.
    3) I DID LIKE the idea of having to silently stack luggage up at the curtains to try and block the dead from getting to first class (I presume?) ... cool idea.
    4) I DID LIKE the moment between Pitt and the soldier when they both silently summed up that they needed to use the grenade - and that in order to have a chance, they needed to suck the dead out of the plane through a hole. That idea I rather like.
    5) I hated the raptor screams ... I seriously hate raptor screams in all cases.
    Man, that clip is just feckin dumb. Every single part of it. From the cartoonish gnashing of the toilet "zombie's" teeth to incredibly ineffectual grenade. BTW, ripping a hole in a pressurised cabin at 40.000 ft means you're dead. Everybody. Ain't nobody going to control a jet airliner with a 7 ft hole in her side.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Dying

Undisclosed
    Well...just got back from seeing it.

It was bad.
    Respect your opinion Ace. At least you bothered to see it.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by major jay View Post
    Respect your opinion Ace. At least you bothered to see it.
    Thanks, I really tried to keep an open mind and enjoy whatever I got, and as I said, it had some cool aspects, but the way it was put together and packaged wasn't for me. The big question I, and several people had after we got out of the theater, was: what did they reshoot and what was the original planned ending of the film? Was it darker, or just more open-ended/ambivalent?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    ^^ Good question! What was the original ending?!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Good question! What was the original ending?!
    I've read it was a massive ruck in Moscow ... further details are sketchy though ... apparently it didn't fit in well for whatever reason.

England
    I've read it was a massive ruck in Moscow ... further details are sketchy though ... apparently it didn't fit in well for whatever reason.
    Everything from the moment Pitt got on the plane from Jerusalem was reshoots. The word is that it just didn't have an ending that traditional movie-goers are used to and we ended up with the Welsh WHO ending because the studio knows better.
    I really really hope they include the original last 3rd on the bluray.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Came in expecting a lot of crying. Leaving satisfied.

Loosely inspired by the book. Didn't love it or hate it. Thought it was a decent summer popcorn flick that lost its steam towards the end.

OK, let the drama resume...
    Last edited by Christopher Jon; 30-Jun-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: z is for zombie

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Almost the entire theater was laughing at moments not meant to be funny. That kinda says a lot....

In the end it's an okay summer flick. See it once and that's enough. As far as recent horror novel adaptations, I would say I Am Legend was a bit over this one...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I Am Legend was a bit over this one...
    Damn...the kiss of death!