Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Smith's upcoming film: RED STATE

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    From Ifilm....

And seeing how he's distributing himself in October, It's most likely not going to be very wide. It's just not worth the trouble. Waiting for dvd.

I think he should've let someone else buy it at Sundance...
    What "trouble" do you speak of? You mean it's that difficult to skip the tour but see it in your home down in October when it comes out in theatres?

You realize during the tour, it's not just the movie you see, but he'll be there with the film, introducting and probably doing his typical Q&A shit, so it would be worth it if you're a fan. If you just wanna see the movie, go in October - when prices will be normal. Somehow, I don't think this is going to only be in 30 cities once it's released.

..and why in the world should he have let someone buy it at Sundance? The whole point of Red State is doing it yourself while giving the finger to Hollywood since they've completely fucked up movie making unless you've got tens or hundreds of millions to burn (on goddamn remakes no less, 'cause lord knows there's not much originality coming out in Hollywood anymore). The "indie" guys don't have much of a chance anymore, and he's out to prove the current model is wrong and that it can be done another way. Basically, he's doing what Dj is doing but on a much larger level (since he has more noteriety and a much larger following). It's not like he had to do things this way.

Personally, I hope he does this, makes tons of cash and shows Hollywood that they've got it completely bass-ackwards.

Stop being a buzzkill.

I figured most of us here would champion a filmmaker saying "fuck you hollywood, you're doing it wrong!" Even if it is Kevin Smith doing so.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 24-Jan-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: bacon kevin smith

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    God Damn, Lou. You getting some kick backs from Smith and the Weinsteins or something?

Q&A or not, I don't think it's worth the money. Then when it does get a release, I'll most likely have to drive a far distance to catch it and it's not worth that to me. I'm not saying "fuck this movie, everyone should boycott it." I just personally don't think this particular film is worth me going out of my way or spending extra money. So if that's the case....I'll wait for DVD. In any scenario, I DO want to see it.

I didn't mean to offend your delicate smith-loving sensibilities.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Jan-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: .

United States
    You getting some kick backs from Smith and the Weinsteins or something?

Are you getting paid to be a curmudgeon?

Nope, I just think what he's doing is fantastic, and is right in line with the thinking that Dj and I have had since 2004ish. It's nice to see see someone with clout (whether it's Smith or someone else) have the same epiphany and actually follow through with it.

You didn't offend me, I just don't understand your logic.

I'm sure this is going to have a pretty wide release, not just 40-50 cities across the US. If it was only going to be a few cities, he wouldn't be waiting 'till October for the theatrical release.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 24-Jan-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: bacon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I personally don't care if he's sticking it to the Hollywood system. John Q. Public doesn't care either. By distributing the film himself, he may be looking cool to his industry insider friends, but I doubt it will get a normal wide release because of this decision. And if it does....without the proper marketing who is going to see this thing outside of Smith's fans?

Again, I'm not trying to dog on the film. I just think they're hurting themselves by trying to distribute it personally. But we'll see. It may work out well. Especially if they market it to the tweens during Halloween. After all....they don't have Saw to fall back on anymore...

United States
    I personally don't care if he's sticking it to the Hollywood system. John Q. Public doesn't care either.
    I'm part of John Q. Public. I care. As well as many, many others. Hell, many indie filmmakers (many of whose films you watch) are watching with baited breath to see how this works out.

You're part of the John Q. Public who doesn't, because he's satisfied with the horseshit Hollywood continues to feed us (which, for the most part, has been uninspired drivel as of late)

Quote Originally Posted by bassman
    By distributing the film himself, he may be looking cool to his industry insider friends, but I doubt it will get a normal wide release because of this decision. And if it does....without the proper marketing who is going to see this thing outside of Smith's fans?
    You've missed the entire point of his reason to self-distribute.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 24-Jan-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You're not John Q. You know more about how these things work. That's why you're happy he's "sticking to the man".

John Q is the random guy who just decides to go see a movie on a Satruday night. The only problem now is that John Q may not be aware of Red State because of it's lack of advertising, or it may not be at his theater at all. On any other occasion he may have seen Red State, but now he doesn't care or doesn't have the option. Those tickets lost because Smith wanted to "stick it".

Anyway....if this film is near me I might check it out. I never meant to cause a ruckus, I was just stating my opinion that it doesn't strike me as the kind of film people will seek out. Imo, this film will most likely make it's serious returns through dvd and blu ray.

United States
    You're not John Q. You know more about how these things work. That's why you're happy he's "sticking to the man".
    I most certainly am John Q. I'm exactly one of those "random guys who just decides to go see a movie on a Satruday night"

I "know more about how these things work"?? No, I'm just observant of a system that's broke beyond repair. Same with the music industry (I'm not a professional musician). Same with our government (I'm not a politican). It's not like Deadlands has suddenly put me in a position to peel back the layers of the top of the movie industry and see what's wrong - we didn't even get anywhere near close enough to it to do that. Plus, I don't deal with the business affairs of the Deadlands franchise - that's all Dj. I might have a slightly wider perspective than some, but nothing worth noting. Anyone who can read and has a decent level of observation can have the level of knowledge I have of the movie industry. Anyone who has been an extra in a film knows what I do, probably more if their film had a larger than $10k budget!

The only problem now is that John Q may not be aware of Red State because of it's lack of advertising, or it may not be at his theater at all. On any other occasion he may have seen Red State, but now he doesn't care or doesn't have the option. Those tickets lost because Smith wanted to "stick it".
    Like I said, the reason for his self-distribution route has gone right over your head.

He's playing to his audience - he doesn't care about trying to draw in people who are not fans. Why? Well, if you're not a KS fan, you're not going to care about Red State anyway, are you? So why spend millions to try and cater to those people when they aren't going to come see it anyway?

Smith said in many of his podcasts that, for example, the Weinsteins spent $20 million to make Clerks 2. He begged them NOT to put a shit-ton of money into advertising because, why bother? The people who come to see Kevin Smith movies are Kevin Smith fans - he has a built-in fan base that pretty much nets him 30 million in the theatres with every new release. So what did the Weinsteins do with Clerks 2? Put 10 million into advertising and barely broke even at the box office. Why not just take the extra $10 million and keep it as profit? It still would've made 30 million anyway without the advertising. Lesson learned: play your strengths, play to your audience and followers.

...and just FYI, the Weinsteins have nothing to do with Red State. They passed on it years ago.

Perhaps you don't care about the back-end of the production, but there are many watching intently, something that could change the way movies are made and distributed, especially on the indie circuit. For many, many filmmakers and movie fans, this is exciting shit. Obviously not to you, but then again, you're not normal.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 24-Jan-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    He's playing to his audience - he doesn't care about trying to draw in people who are not fans. Why? Well, if you're not a KS fan, you're not going to care about Red State anyway, are you? So why spend millions to try and cater to those people when they aren't going to come see it anyway?
    The very reason Smith made Red State is to try and widen his audiences. It's not "for his fans". I'm sure he claims so on his podcasts where people cling to his every word, but anyone with a pair of eyes can see that he's been trying to become a bigger director for years. He's been trying to get away from his fart comedy and it's fans while not doing a very good job of it.

He's trying to make a horror film because horror films have been doing well in recent years. He tried to make a feel good family picture and it failed. He tried making a buddy cop movie and it failed. The only kinda well recieved film he's made outside of Jay and Bob is Zack and Miri. And that basically was Jay and Bob, just different characters. Keep in mind....all of which starred current "it actors". If he was so comfortable in making films "for the fans", he would continue with the Jay and Bob shtick because they would be a gauranteed success. I believe he has the ability to make different films, but it's not for the fans. The fans are just the ones that go along with it.

But hey....I'm just accustomed to happily taking the force fed bullshit that Hollywood tosses my way. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to swallow Smith's.

A simple friggin comment that it may be harder to see the film this way and all this is the result. Sheesh.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Jan-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    But hey....I'm just accustomed to happily taking the force fed bullshit that Hollywood tosses my way. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to swallow Smith's.

A demented cast of characters. Check.
    Loads of drama and tension. Check.
    Entertaining on many levels. Check.

Who needs movies when there are threads like this?

United States
    The very reason Smith made Red State is to try and widen his audiences. He's trying to make a horror film because horror films have been doing well in recent years.

Dude, you are completely wrong and so far off base it's not even funny. Red State's script has been in the can for years, but he's trying to latch on to the current trend of horror films?

You think he's trying to "widen" his audience? If anything, based on what you said about Jay & Silent Bob movies, he's doing nothing but whittling down his audience.

..and really? You're going to pull "cop out" into this? It wasn't even his script, he was just a hired hand to direct. Considering Bruce Willis was a dick about everything and did NOTHING to promote the film, it's no wonder it struggled. Here you have an "A-list" actor who just doesn't give a shit 'cept for the paycheck.

"sheesh" is right... If "it may be harder to see the film this way" is all you would have said, instead of making completely off-base statements, prehaps the conversation would be a lot shorter.

Save your all-knowing wisdom for the batman/nolan threads.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 24-Jan-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: ..

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Never claimed to be all knowing here. Only stating my opinions.

And I did start this out saying it would be harder for me to see in theaters. That was my main point of concern. Then you for some reason lost all control of your bowels and went on a rant how I was sucking Hollywood's pole, or something to that effect.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Jan-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Uhhh, yeah, ok.

For those who want to know what's really going on, listen to the first 10 minutes of this (then perhaps stick around for the rest of the show, which is an excellent interview/conversation with Michael Parks:

Red State of the Union #11
    (right-click, "save as" if you want to d/l it instead of stream)
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 24-Jan-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: .

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Already Kevin is catching hell for his antics at Sundance

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/01/...ng-in-its-face
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Already Kevin is catching hell for his antics at Sundance

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/01/...ng-in-its-face
    Blimey, can't be arsed to read all that, hehe...

It's a shame that the flick didn't find distribution at the fest - or yet anyway, or seemingly will ever, what with this "SModpictures" idea - sometimes I wonder if the Red State of the Union podcasts have been building things up too much, but who knows ... it's certainly an interesting approach to making and releasing a film. I wonder what will happen for international territories though - such as, *ahem*, the UK.

Anyone know what the response to the film has so far been at Sundance?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Anyone know what the response to the film has so far been at Sundance?
    From the ten or so reviews I've seen, it's luke warm at best. And that's being generous, unfortunately. I don't think I've seen it higher than a 5/10.

Edit - just found a better review at the Hollywood reporter. It's the nicest i've seen so far...
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Jan-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: .