Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: does Land kinda blow?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    I NEVER cared about the hype. Even when I was a teenager, back in the day.
    Everyone has expectations when you walk into a film. EVERYONE. If you say someone says they don't, they're lying.

United States
    That explains quite a bit about your tastes!
    You have my tastes all figured out after 20 some odd posts ? Wow; you're good.

Enlighten me please; give me some other Undead Film options in the last few years better than the ones I mentioned. All ears.

cough* 28 Days Later isn't a zombie film *cough*
    Yes. I know; Rage is not dead. Let us be honest though; it has all the sprit of a zombie film and helped spearhead this current undead revival.

Blah Blah
    That's insightful. And you're 42 ?

Twitching

United States
    My .02,
    Land had its defects, sure. Not a Big Daddy fan, was kinda interested in the notion of older zombies discovering rudimentary cunning to bring down prey, but think it went in the wrong direction. The good examples of "zombie cunning" from Land: Not moaning when they'd discovered prey but humans hadnt seen them...walking across the river underwater to avoid the fencing, immunity to the fireworks. Didnt see it in the movie, but I might even be able to buy stuff like fumbling with doorknobs, or actively pulling down barricades directly in their way. Bad examples from Land: Big Daddy with a gun, use of stabbing weapons, Big Daddy able to comprehend the raiders came from miles upon miles away, even if it was a relatively straight line back to the city.

But, it gave us a much better look at a post-zombie apocalypse world than the choppy, sometimes irrational Day. I just got more of a feel from the humans that they'd taken active steps to integrate what worked as far as Zombie-defense went into day to day life. But on the flip side of that, sorry George I do NOT see the currency system holding up under these circumstances.

(There's a few really great comics/indy films/book series that demonstrate a barter-currency system in non-perishables, commonly-used calibers of bullets and quality metal salvage. Thats more what I would expect from the economy of an apocalyptic world)

All in all, I forgive Land its plotholes and hiccups. This one time I'll even forgive GAR Big Daddy. Why?

The alternative is watching Return of the Living Dead, Undead, Dead Man Walking and Slither.

No thanks.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    Um...whatever, jerkoff.

Back to the topic at hand; Even more than the Loooooooong wait that set a build-up for LAND, let's not forget that we had finally been granted the ultimate cock-tease...A budget! Romero+Good Budget=Great Movie! Right?

Wrong. What a waste. Take out the price of the talents like Hopper and Leguizamo and give us the no-names we're used to. Spend that money on bribing Savini to come back...just come back for one more, Tom...
    Romero used unknowns in Day and that film gets killed for having "bad" actors, overacting and other things that are common for a film with mostly unknowns. Not to mention the fact I've seen threads circulating around here that dog actors in the Night movies and Dawn.

So when Romero uses a couple of "accomplished" actors with credentials, he gets criticized for that, too?

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Land doesn't blow, it doesn't matter if there is action or something, as long as it is Romero's work that has zombie, I am satisfied.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    Land doesn't blow, it doesn't matter if there is action or something, as long as it is Romero's work that has zombie, I am satisfied.
    as long as it doesnt have smart zombies that make you feel sorry for them, i am satisfied

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiefriend View Post
    as long as it doesnt have smart zombies that make you feel sorry for them, i am satisfied
    What about Bub? No one complaims about Bub. And I felt sorry for him when Frankenstein dies. But that guys was a real quality actor.
    and big Daddy was...
    uh...
    not.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    Bub was indeed a solid actor (and character). The more I realize how bad Land was the more I hate it.

That movie sucked.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post
    Bub was indeed a solid actor (and character). The more I realize how bad Land was the more I hate it.

That movie sucked.

We're in agreement. Land turned out to be a joke. Even many Romero fans have acknowleged this.

Here's a little FYI for you regarding the guy who played Bub. Something Sherman is his name. There's an episode of Seinfeld, The Junior Mints episode, to be exact, in which Elaine's ex-boyfriend is in the hospital. Well, the ex-boyfriend is played by the guy who played Bub.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    We're in agreement. Land turned out to be a joke. Even many Romero fans have acknowleged this.

Here's a little FYI for you regarding the guy who played Bub. Something Sherman is his name. There's an episode of Seinfeld, The Junior Mints episode, to be exact, in which Elaine's ex-boyfriend is in the hospital. Well, the ex-boyfriend is played by the guy who played Bub.
    Howard Sherman.
    and thanks for the trivia tidbit.

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed, Howard Sherman - but likewise, many fans liked or even loved Land. In both polls done last year/earlier this year the result was clear - more people were in favour than not.

Undisclosed

(gravely disappointed)
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post

(gravely disappointed)
    In what? That most people liked/Loved LOTD?
    figured you'd be happy about that

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    In what? That most people liked/Loved LOTD?
    figured you'd be happy about that

Indeed, I'm gravely disappointed by that deal of "hate" surrounding the movie, especially if it comes from the fans.
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

Super Moderator

UK
    Surely that's an odd statement, as the polls done about Land proved the majority like or love the film.

The hatred comes from a minority (face it chaps, it's how it is).