Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: the nature of evil...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    People are messed up and they will kill in a heartbeat if they are pushed to it, as such I should be the one pulling the trigger 1st instead of groveling for mercy.
    I can see where you're coming from, but really... why must every thread degenerate to "I'm going to have a bigger gun than the next guy and shoot first"?

It's called an inferiority complex. Ted Nugent has a chronic case of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Aren't you being evil in imposing your personal views on Hitler by calling his personal belief evil?
    Hitler was allowed the right to his personal beliefs until he forced them on others, at which point it becomes everyone else's business. If he hated Jews so much, he could have moved to a different country. The fact is, Hitler didn't like much of anyone. (See inferiority complex.)
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 16-Aug-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dommm View Post
    I'm not sure that I understand this comment did you mean in a culture of war or battle or was the rape and murder 2 separate points. And if so which culture is rape okay??
    In this culture, until not that long ago. For a long time, in the Anglo-American legal tradition, there was no such thing as spousal rape. That is, nothing a husband did to his wife could be considered "rape." That is still true in other parts of the world.

Imposing personal views on another is a form of evil as it shows the belief that the person holds there view higher then anothers... rape and murder are a form of this one believes that s/he has the right to make you do as s/he pleases. this is how Hitler was wrong, and evil in his actions he believed that he had the right based on personal belief that Jews were not allowed there right to life.
    Aren't you being evil in imposing your personal views on Hitler by calling his personal belief evil?

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Hitler was allowed the right to his personal beliefs until he forced them on others, at which point it becomes everyone else's business. If he hated Jews so much, he could have moved to a different country. The fact is, Hitler didn't like much of anyone.
    The point is, if there's no absolute truth or morality, where do you get the principle that you can't force your personal beliefs on others? Part of his personal beliefs was that they should be forced on others, so how can you say that's wrong without some basis for concluding that your personal beliefs (that no one should force their beliefs on others) are better than his?
    Last edited by Publius; 16-Aug-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United Kingdom
    In this culture, until not that long ago. For a long time, in the Anglo-American legal tradition, there was no such thing as spousal rape. That is, nothing a husband did to his wife could be considered "rape." That is still true in other parts of the world.?
    But there is still somthing that essentially makes this act wrong whatever soceity you are from, so culturally it may not be deemed as wrong but taught as wrong, dont know if I am being clear on the point I am making here.

Aren't you being evil in imposing your personal views on Hitler by calling his personal belief evil??
    Thats the thing I am not saying his personal beliefs are wrong, I am saying it is wrong to take someones life based on these. Using the previous example, if my neighbour is stealing electricity I could confront him in many ways or a combination of ways for example personnaly, legally, etc... But if I choose to kill him I have made a wrongful choice as here I have the option not to and to approach this from a different angle. Therefore at the point I decide to kill him/her is the point I hold the belief that my views are of the highest order and that I can take away the other parties personal choice. Therefore I am not taking away Hitlers right to challange the Jews and there actions/beliefs and choices. But the fact that he feels he has the right to murder wholescale, begin the commencement of genocide and take away a whole culture, and therefore remove a part of the colourful tapastry of life that adds to the experiance and understanding of all. This takes away the right of not only one culture to be but also for all others to experiance and learn from. this is not just evil, but wholesale evil IMHO.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Thats the thing I am not saying his personal beliefs are wrong, I am saying it is wrong to take someones life based on these.
    Hitler disagreed that it is wrong to take someone's life based on his beliefs. He believed that his beliefs completely justified taking the lives of those he felt were not worthy of life.

But the fact that he feels he has the right to murder wholescale, begin the commencement of genocide and take away a whole culture, and therefore remove a part of the colourful tapastry of life that adds to the experiance and understanding of all. This takes away the right of not only one culture to be but also for all others to experiance and learn from. this is not just evil, but wholesale evil IMHO.
    Where do you get the idea that a colourful tapestry of life is better than a universal Aryan order? I agree with you, but I believe in objective morality and truth so to me it makes sense.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Norway
    Aryan is an old tribe from India, hitler and his cronies only stole the term because they thought it sounded cool.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    Aryan is an old tribe from India, hitler and his cronies only stole the term because they thought it sounded cool.
    I know about the origin of the term. I was just using it in the sense that Hitler did.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    heh, yeah, hell kill a buck and call it takeout

he's like if jesus lived, but became a crackhead

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed

How dare you speak that way about Sweaty Teddy! Show some respect for the Motor City Madman!

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post

he's like if jesus lived, but became a crackhead
    Um, no. That would be Lemmy.

Administrator

England

...the nature of evil...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Quite agree, Neil. She has more evil inside her than Lucifer himself.

Shame she has gone back to being a media 'dahling' again though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

...the nature of evil...
    anyone else thinks that looks like a burndlefly type abomination caused by a teleporter accident involving uma thermans character from pulp fiction and lenny henry?

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    anyone else thinks that looks like a burndlefly type abomination caused by a teleporter accident involving uma thermans character from pulp fiction and lenny henry?
    LOL!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

...the nature of evil...
    i told you guys there were absolutes in good and evil. here is living proof!
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Norway
    Since this thread is derailed now and Publicus touched upon it, I will just say the point I was leading up to about moral relavtism beeing absurd, it is absurd because it assume that all moral systems are of equally right even those who do belive the opposite.