View Poll Results: Who is the bigger bad ass? (Public Poll)

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • John "Die Hard" McClane

14 70.00%
  • Jack "24" Bauer

6 30.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ok! Who is the bigger bad ass? Vote NOW!

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah but it's about the characters, not the actors.

Brucie definitely has a greater number of badass roles ... although Keifer has done some great roles in his time (Stand by Me, Lost Boys etc), but the poll's about these two specific characters, not the actors portraying them.

I duno, I'd have a feeling that Brucie might be too busy getting his ego stroked somewhere by some good looking ladies while a bunch of Die Hard fans take pictures of him, from what I've heard he's got a bit of an ego going ... meanwhile (as seen in the documentary "I Trust You To Kill Me", Sutherland is completely disorganised, likes to party and get hammered and tackle Christmas trees in his time off - and it's hilarious).

He didn't allow himself to get killed, he was captured for good reason, he didn't just bend over and say "have fun", and I'm sure if Die Hard was tortured as brutally as 24 was, he'd give up the ghost too. If memory serves it was constant electric shock treatment to the chest ... which isn't too good for the ticker. But once brought back for more torture, the dude takes them all out - with a bum ticker - and then proceeds on to a stadium shoot out.

Annnnd ... in season 5, he kidnaps the scumbag President Logan by impersonating one of the chopper pilots (whom he takes out with a swift choke hold to conk him out). Then he takes said Prezza to an abandoned location and interrogates him, gun to head as well, but because he's inherently a good man with strong morals, it's just impossible to shoot the President, even if he is a complete dick (besides, it wouldn't work story wise).

Also in season five, he infiltrates a hotel at the scene of the big assassination, which is swarming with government agents who are specifically on the look out for Jack himself as they go about their work. Bauer sneaks in and does some crafty computer hacking as well as managing to escape the whole mess when the agents found out he's inside...now that's one crafty, sneaky bugger right there.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    But he doesn't have the coolest catch phrase in the history of coolest catch phrases... "Yippy Ki Ya" Baby!

McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane McClane

Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post

This thread is becoming more and more amusing.

Also, McClane has driven a Mercedes through the concrete wall of a bridge, landed it, and drives aways casually.

He's surfed on top of a semi.

He's been ejected at the last minute from an exploding air craft.

He's fell down an elevator shaft.

He's stabbed a man in the eye with a f*cking piece of ice.

The list goes on and on. And he's done alot of this while he has one hell of a hang over that he got from his suspension of smoking cigerettes and watching Captain Kangaroo.

Now THAT is a badass.
    Lets also not forget his trip in the vault elevator with 4 rather larger Nazi terrorist thiefs, that he single handidly takes out by himself in a 6x4 space.

Top that Jack.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 19-Apr-2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Jack can't top that, he's too busy getting himself killed by terrorists.

John McClane - a lion's roar

Jack Bauer - a kitten's meow

Super Moderator

UK
    Just read over my posts regarding Jack, he tops all that mate. The dude takes on commandos on top of the usual slew of terrorists and bad guys.

He has his own catchphrases, including:

"Please", "excuse me" and "DAMNIT!" - it's not the words, it's the delivery, which is another thing, Jack has a trade mark voice patter, that hushed, yet pretty loud, whisper.

www.bauercount.com - his kills, tallied and detailed.

Season Six - 23 so far.
    Season Five - 38
    Season Four - 44
    Season Three - 14 (when he was being manly and coming off heroin cold turky whilst tracking down biological weapons)
    Season Two - 30
    Season One - 10 (back when he was a family man)

And those counts are within 24 hour periods, some methods of killing include:

* Punch to the heart
    * Neck breaks
    * Hand-to-hand knife combat
    * Knife to the gut
    * Knife to the spine
    * Knife to the neck
    * Throat slit
    * Steam
    * Strangulation
    * A whole shedload of gun kills across a wide variety of pistols (silenced or otherwise), shotguns and assault rifles
    * The smoothest, fastest and stealthiest neck pwnage you've ever seen
    * Tearing the neck out of a terrorist with his own teeth - now THAT is unbeatable ... just think about it, he tore the neck out of a terrorist with his own teeth

neck-shredding

stealthy neck breaking pwnage

slice that neck, bitch!

some neck stabbing

The dude punches somebody in the heart and it stops, I mean come on.

United States
    You're not giving up, are you MZ?

it's not the words, it's the delivery
    You're right, and there's only so many times I can hear Bauer say "THERE'S NO TIME!!!!!" before it gets really old.

However, words do not determine a persons badass status, and like I said a few pages ago, neither does their body count.

Bauer has bought the farm, and McClane never has because he was badass enough to never get himself into that predicament. Jack can cut off all the heads he wants and punch people in the chest and kill them all he wants, but he was killed by his enemies. Doesn't matter if he came back, he was killed, period.

That removes your badass status permanently.

Next.

(this thread still rules )

**edited to add - look at this, Bauer couldn't even beat out INDIANA JONES for badass status:

Make with the clickey...
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 19-Apr-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So if he died and was brought back does that make him a zombie?

If it is that would be cool, but McClane would just shot him in the head and put him down.

So if he died and was brought back does that make him a zombie?

If it is that would be cool, but McClane would just shot him in the head and put him down.

Lets also not forget John McClane lives in, works in, and was born in NYC. That alone is badass.

Quote Originally Posted by fartpants View Post
    my girlfriend just went for John Mcclean

Tell you girlfriend I want to Marry her.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 19-Apr-2007 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    after that revalation , you can have her ...

Super Moderator

UK
    I still firmly believe Bauer's the ultimate badass out of the two, McClane doesn't even get close enough to the action to get himself double-crossed or captured, that sh*t happens when you're nose-deep in it.

The idea of dying removing all badass status makes no sense - what about the commandos who sailed a ship full of explosives through German lines and smashed it into their dock and blew it up, loads of blokes died doing that, does that mean they're no longer badasses?

See my point, it's a daft argument.

Dying means you were eyeball-to-eyeball with whatever was going down, not hanging out a few floors above eating twinkies.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I still firmly believe Bauer's the ultimate badass out of the two, McClane doesn't even get close enough to the action to get himself double-crossed or captured, that sh*t happens when you're nose-deep in it.

The idea of dying removing all badass status makes no sense - what about the commandos who sailed a ship full of explosives through German lines and smashed it into their dock and blew it up, loads of blokes died doing that, does that mean they're no longer badasses?

See my point, it's a daft argument.

Dying means you were eyeball-to-eyeball with whatever was going down, not hanging out a few floors above eating twinkies.

Ouch, the twinky defense. That is a hard thing to come back against. You have a point on that, but...

John McClane is still the better of the two in my opinion.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Dying means you were eyeball-to-eyeball with whatever was going down
    ...yeah, and you lost. So much for being badass...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    ...yeah, and you lost. So much for being badass...
    He's got a point, if you went eyeball to eyeball and now your dead because of it, doesn't mean you are a bad ass, it means you were fcuking stupid and should have stayed on the top floor eating twinkies.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    it means you were fcuking stupid and should have stayed on the top floor eating twinkies.

Super Moderator

UK
    *whips out Commandos-in-WWII argument again*

They were eyeball-to-eyeball, they died, are they not badasses?

*gets philosophical ... looks misty-eyed into the distance*

In war ... nobody wins ...

Ah HPOTD, where opinions come to bump up against each other like teenagers fumbling to get their kit off in the back of a Volkswagon...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 20-Apr-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ok, John McClane has officially proved to be the bigger badass, and we can now move on to the new poll...

McClane Vs. Snake Plissken started by our very own MZ.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    *whips out Commandos-in-WWII argument again*

They were eyeball-to-eyeball, they died, are they not badasses?

Now wait just a second there, MZ. You are the one that validated Bauer's badass status by saying "he got killed and came back!" - well, if you can use it to prove his status, I can use the fact that he died to prove he isn't a bigger badass than McClane, because McClane never died, hence, proving his superior badass status.

Ya can't have it both ways.

This thread has been one of the most entertaining i've read here in a long time. ...and it's a prime example of being able to disagree and still get along.