Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Good, but overrated

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    At least there hasn't been a pie fight yet.

the quote of the month.

the original dawn looks more and more like a creaking mass of ineptitude doesn't it?

actually most of romero's films fall into that category.

counting down until someone comes along to bash my opinion.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    what no captain caveman?

i suggest that there are plenty of folks on here who feel that romero's films have not aged well.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    i suggest that there are plenty of folks on here who feel that romero's films have not aged well.
    :raises hand:

Especially Dawn. Parts of that film can make me cringe. That's not to say I don't love it, because I do. It's just not the holy grail that most people make it out to be.

If I had to choose one Romero film from the trilogy that still holds up, it's definitely Day. The only thing that really dates that film is the score. Day is always the first I show to friends.
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Nov-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: wut

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    :raises hand:

Especially Dawn. Parts of that film can make me cringe. That's not to say I don't love it, because I do. It's just not the holy grail that most people make it out to be.

If I had to choose one Romero film from the trilogy that still holds up, it's definitely Day. The only thing that really dates that film is the score. Day is always the first I show to friends.
    i like the story contained in dawn and the characters but as for the way it was made...less said the better.

i totally agree about day. it is the only film in that series that i will even consider watching. i also agree that the score for that film sucks bantha balls. it sounds like a 10 year old who has just gotten his first moog for christmas.

United States
    ii totally agree about day. it is the only film in that series that i will even consider watching. i also agree that the score for that film sucks bantha balls. it sounds like a 10 year old who has just gotten his first moog for christmas.
    Sure it's dated, but I find the score to Day really works.

Maybe that's just me.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I dig the 80's synth driven scores. I think the score for day has some great moments, and some others are questionable, but I still think it is a very good score none the less.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    yeah, i like the score in day, and will agree that of the original three, day is the most accessible for non-zombie fans and has aged better than the other two.

and yeah, dawn is good, but a lot of times when showing it to those who are new to romero films, it gets a lot of chuckles at the wrong times.

seriously, if we were to pick romero's original trilogy apart to the same degree some are doing to TWD, i think there'd be just as much to bitch about.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

the quote of the month.

the original dawn looks more and more like a creaking mass of ineptitude doesn't it?

actually most of romero's films fall into that category.

I still like DAWN of the DEAD, while it hasn't aged well, the movie itself is effective. If you look beyond the acting and some cam work, the story and how epic the movie really is, is what keep people drawn to the flick. While we may be trapped inside a mall with 4 people, the news and radio reports continue to remiind everyone of how dire the consequences really are, and add to the fact as time passes on... no more TV no more radio you realize the world has totally collapse and the bikers/raiders show society for what it is set to become.

There is a really great story in DAWN of the DEAD and I would personally love to take that screenplay and remake it as is, while I dig Zack's version, it does lack a lot of the horror elements present in Romero's Dawn. I think if done with the right actors and some minor re-writes, remake that movie with the original Downtrodden ending and you would have another sure fire winner.

Night Dawn and Day are great films to me, Land Diary and Survival not so much... While people pick apart all Romero films, they pick at the surface mostly, if you go indepth to that movie then you realize the true horror Romero was trying to present to us, that is what drove me to want to become a filmmaker.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Definitely. The IDEA of Dawn is great. The execution.....not so much. I think that's what Mike was getting at.
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Nov-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: feck eff

United States
    Regarding noises... I was confused by the soundtrack adding creepy noises to build tension. In several scenes I thought Grimes was responding to something he was hearing only to discover that the noise was soundtrack. Very irritating.

I am a nitpicker. It's true. But why? Because I like to immerse myself in the experience. I like to be part of the story. When the characters do stupid things for stupid reasons I get pulled out of the story.

Take the horse as an example. When he runs out of gas my first thought is, seriously, he ran out of gas? When the scene pans across the truck then lands on the horse I thought, oh good, he found a truck. He can get gas, or maybe take the truck. Then he takes the horse and I'm thinking...ooookkaaaayyyy.... I'm not sure I'm down with this.

Then the horse is the reason he got surrounded and cornered, and I'm like, told ya so. Idiot.

I'm not quite with Dubious in that I didn't care at all about these characters. I liked Grimes a lot. I was okay with most of the decisions. But by the time he's facing a crowd of zombies on horseback I was no longer with him in spirit. I was still sitting in the police car thinking about how to get gas. That takes me out of the story and I enjoyed it less for the ride.

I think a motorcycle makes way more sense. It runs on small amounts of gas that you could find easily. It is maneuverable for getting past jams. And it makes noise.

Yes, that's right. Noise is an ADVANTAGE.

To my earlier statement, the horse was his undoing. It allowed him to silently sneak into an area where he knew (or should've known) that heavy concentrations of zombies would be present, probably hiding inside during the daylight, but a threat if they heard noise. The man was carrying a bag full of very noisy guns to protect himself. This is a recipe for disaster. And he had all the knowledge and experience to avoid it. Had he gone into town in the police cruiser with sirens blaring he would've recognized the threat right away.

As to Dawn having people doing stupid things... TWD isn't over yet. Neither Night, Dawn '78, Dawn '04, Day, Land, Diary, or Survival portrayed the protagonists doing stupid things in the opening scenes. I expect TWD will give us some idiotic episodes as it tries to explore human vs. human interaction in later episodes. That will put it on equal footing with the likes of Dawn and the others.

I still say TWD is a great fun ride, the good outweighs the bad, and I'm looking forward to a season of fun. And nitpicking. And gripes. And debates. And it has done nothing to dethrone GAR.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    well said, bassman.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Regarding noises... I was confused by the soundtrack adding creepy noises to build tension. In several scenes I thought Grimes was responding to something he was hearing only to discover that the noise was soundtrack. Very irritating.

I am a nitpicker. It's true. But why? Because I like to immerse myself in the experience. I like to be part of the story. When the characters do stupid things for stupid reasons I get pulled out of the story.

Take the horse as an example. When he runs out of gas my first thought is, seriously, he ran out of gas? When the scene pans across the truck then lands on the horse I thought, oh good, he found a truck. He can get gas, or maybe take the truck. Then he takes the horse and I'm thinking...ooookkaaaayyyy.... I'm not sure I'm down with this.

Then the horse is the reason he got surrounded and cornered, and I'm like, told ya so. Idiot.

I'm not quite with Dubious in that I didn't care at all about these characters. I liked Grimes a lot. I was okay with most of the decisions. But by the time he's facing a crowd of zombies on horseback I was no longer with him in spirit. I was still sitting in the police car thinking about how to get gas. That takes me out of the story and I enjoyed it less for the ride.

I think a motorcycle makes way more sense. It runs on small amounts of gas that you could find easily. It is maneuverable for getting past jams. And it makes noise.

Yes, that's right. Noise is an ADVANTAGE.

To my earlier statement, the horse was his undoing. It allowed him to silently sneak into an area where he knew (or should've known) that heavy concentrations of zombies would be present, probably hiding inside during the daylight, but a threat if they heard noise. The man was carrying a bag full of very noisy guns to protect himself. This is a recipe for disaster. And he had all the knowledge and experience to avoid it. Had he gone into town in the police cruiser with sirens blaring he would've recognized the threat right away.

As to Dawn having people doing stupid things... TWD isn't over yet. Neither Night, Dawn '78, Dawn '04, Day, Land, Diary, or Survival portrayed the protagonists doing stupid things in the opening scenes. I expect TWD will give us some idiotic episodes as it tries to explore human vs. human interaction in later episodes. That will put it on equal footing with the likes of Dawn and the others.

I still say TWD is a great fun ride, the good outweighs the bad, and I'm looking forward to a season of fun. And nitpicking. And gripes. And debates. And it has done nothing to dethrone GAR.
    I disagree Trin... The truck, could have been out of gas, the horse makes a much better idea as the only fuel it needs is some grass and water. A motorcycle, attracts more attention and has zero protection from Zeds, as does the horse, but the horse seemed like a logical choice to me. I honestly think you're over thinking every bit of this and not putting yourself in the characters shoes.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Sure it's dated, but I find the score to Day really works.

Maybe that's just me.
    I love, love, love the Day score!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I disagree Trin... The truck, could have been out of gas, the horse makes a much better idea as the only fuel it needs is some grass and water. A motorcycle, attracts more attention and has zero protection from Zeds, as does the horse, but the horse seemed like a logical choice to me. I honestly think you're over thinking every bit of this and not putting yourself in the characters shoes.
    There's nothing logical about a horse. It gets spooked. It needs rest. It is wholly unpredictable. Given its reaction to seeing one or two zeds I would've ridden it right back out of town.

A motorcycle doesn't throw you when it gets scared. It doesn't need sleep. And I maintain that you should never go into a situation where you make more noise defending yourself than you made getting there. Tallahasee got it right. "I miss my Escalade."

As I'm watching it, yes, I'm thinking about it. I don't turn my brain off during survival horror. That's the fun for me, and perhaps at times a frustration. And there were a ton of places where I wasn't really comfortable with his choices, but I stayed along for the ride. The show, for the most part, kept me along for the ride.

However, my gut told me the horse was a bad idea when he found it. I got more nervous when it got spooked at the first sign of zombies. And it turned out it was a bad idea when he got surrounded. How is that over-thinking? It's not like I actively took myself out of his shoes. I went kicking and screaming. I was really disappointed that it didn't work out better.

And come on, the man didn't realize how much gas he needed to drive to Atlanta? I'm not asking for rocket scientist here.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.