Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: George Romero who??? Darabont the new KING of zombies

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    there was an RV in the background during the pilot of TWD when it showed lori, carl, shane, and the rest of their survivors. this RV becomes an important part of the story later.

i was joking that since it was in TWD (comics) long before diary came out, perhaps romero ripped this idea off from kirkman, since the argument was made earlier that most of TWD is a rip-off of romero's work.
    but the diary script was written even before land was shoot.

OK. the thing is that thereīs nothing really new in the kirkman comics. itīs a more developed zombie universe and thatīs cool, but they keep taking ideas from all Romero movies. Remember the "gladiator" scene , the governor etc..

Undisclosed
    I don't have a schedule of weekly shows I watch. I tend to stick to movies or might see a preview to a show that looks interesting, like the Lost Tapes episode, even though I don't watch it every week or wait for the new one to air. My wife has a list everyday of what show is on that she must watch. Last night she added the Walking Dead to her list so no complaints here. She is not even a horror fan. The DVD menu from Devil's Rejects made her stay awake until 3 in the morning.
    Last edited by Jamn; 01-Nov-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added
    "I want to be apple pie and baseball but when people look at me they see nachos and a cock-fight"

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamn View Post
    I don't have a schedule of weekly shows I watch. I tend to stick to movies or might see a preview to a show that looks interesting, like the Lost Tapes episode, even though I don't watch it every week or wait for the new one to air. My wife has a list everyday of what show is on that she must watch. Last night she added the Walking Dead to her list so no complaints here. She is not even a horror fan. The DVD menu from Devil's Rejects made her stay awake until 3 in the morning.
    Same with me dude!

Never in my life have i ever anticipated a series before! You know i actually feel good about this series because with the past record of hit award winning series AMC has been putting out....it's safe to say that they really nit picked this show till it was ready! "any questions?"
    I SMELL SOME POO...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by childofgilead View Post
    Yeah, that's probably the first time the owner of a Toyota would be happy their accelerator pedal is stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    I think most of the credit goes to Kirkman so far the show has pretty much spot on stuck to the book.... And Kirkman pretty much stuck to the Romero universe.

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    That's probably a good thing - don't fuck up an already fantastic series.
    Eh...as others have pointed out, it's not his directing chops necessarily that have suffered. It's his writing. If he were directing someone else's scripted work. I think he'd be fine. But I don't think he has ANY interest in directing something he hasn't written himself (for better or worse...), so I'm dubious that it's much of an issue...

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Knowing whats to come from being a longtime reader of the comic book i can safely say at least half of you will get your MAD on and say "man fuck this preachy shit" after a while. Trust me, we will see many a poster on here change there tune.
    I refuse to believe anyone on HPOTD would bitch about anything....

Super Moderator

United States
    I know a large percentage of people on this board, myself included, have read the series to one degree or another, but please wrap spoiler tags around material you're refercing from future issues.

It just takes a little effort to not be a douche.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    All I can say is WOW it was what I have been waiting for...BRING ON NEXT WEEK's SHOW!!!
    Comparing GAR and Darabont is like comparing apples and oranges if you ask me. I am just glad Darabont is staying with GAR's formula and running with it with Kirkman's comics. It is a win/win situation.
    I think TWD is keeping all of us gore loving deadheads happy.
    Look we have an AWESOME ZOMBIE series guys!
    They actually listened to the fans and started a series just for us!!!
    KUDO's to Darabont and Kirkman and the rest of the cast and crew...you have my interest for sure!

I want more and more and more PLEASE!!!!!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel View Post
    All I can say is WOW it was what I have been waiting for...BRING ON NEXT WEEK's SHOW!!!
    Comparing GAR and Darabont is like comparing apples and oranges if you ask me. I am just glad Darabont is staying with GAR's formula and running with it with Kirkman's comics. It is a win/win situation.
    I think TWD is keeping all of us gore loving deadheads happy.
    Look we have an AWESOME ZOMBIE series guys!
    They actually listened to the fans and started a series just for us!!!
    KUDO's to Darabont and Kirkman and the rest of the cast and crew...you have my interest for sure!

I want more and more and more PLEASE!!!!!
    Bolded bit is the most important bit for me...add the fact that is of sterling quality and this is pretty much the best early christmas present most of us could ask for.

Bring on the Blu-Ray!!!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    It just takes a little effort to not be a douche.
    But it takes less to just go ahead & be one.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Anyways, unfinished idea or not, I enjoyed episode #1 more than "Land" and "Diary" put together...still not been motivated enough to lay out money on the "Survival" BD.
    yeah, don't bother with survival. you're not gonna change your tune over that shitty film, for sure. and after seeing the pilot for TWD, it'll be even more unbearable.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjacktorrance View Post
    OK. the thing is that thereīs nothing really new in the kirkman comics. itīs a more developed zombie universe and thatīs cool, but they keep taking ideas from all Romero movies. Remember the "gladiator" scene , the governor etc..
    There is nothing new . . . . .period. I don't think that Kirkman is "copying" Romero so much as exploring the same themes. When you have a zombie movie or comicbook or newletter or whathaveyou, you are going to touch on the same types of themes over and over again. Hell Romero admits that he stole the genre from Richard Matheson. . .so I really don't see your point Jack. "Nothing new under the sun." Everything is "stolen" from something else, if you look hard enough you will find that everything you like has been done before and even better, and if you continue down that jaded road you will end up with a good case of the crazies. . . .
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I know a large percentage of people on this board, myself included, have read the series to one degree or another, but please wrap spoiler tags around material you're refercing from future issues.
    I was actually just about to suggest a mod adding *SPOILERS* to the title of this thread...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    yeah, i know. i read the comics. and i assure you that the comics keep taking ideas of the 6 romero zombie flicks and otheres expanding it.also the ongoing series will keep the same shitty CGI blood that makes romero fans angry in his lastets filcks. i assure you that survival has more real headshots than this first pilot. thatīs it.
    Did we watch the same thing... TWD had more realistic headshots than any of romeros new stuff. You must be blind.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The CGI blood is there, but it's not quite as obvious as some of the latest flicks. Especially Land. There's a few CG blood shots in there that make me gringe.

It's funny that the CG looks better in a TV show than it did in a feature film..
    Because Darabont insisted it be done right and not rushed.... Romero rushed all his work, mostly because of time constraints, but Darabont and Hurd insisted it look the best it could look.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm fairly certain that DJ was meaning Romero's latest offerings. Land, Diary, and Survival.
    Pretty much..

yeah you can stand cgi blood if itīs in a grade A tv series. your assesment itīs your opinion. For me itīs clear that the inicial escene of land o f the dead itīs far away of all the 2000īs zombie movies and so on. even this pilot. thereīs a diference on a well directed secuence and a diferent and fresh zombie story.Land and survival are these.
    Land and Survival are total shit, and I now have to admit your opinion is worthless. Sorry Jack, but in this instance you are wrong. Darabont has clearly upstaged Romero and you need to accept this FACT and move on.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Well, at least we're off to a good start.

TWD was what, 90 minutes? Which means it was really an hour's worth of material. Considering GAR's latest 3 films were less than 2 hours long, I think we can certainly assert one thing: this episode of TWD was fantastic, and better than anything GAR has done since Day. We don't need a whole season to tell us that.

Even if the rest of TWD sucks balls, Darbont already trumped GAR's last 3 films in every way possible... in one episode.

That says a lot, my friend.
    Excellent point Lou and I agree 100%, the pilot episode of TWD was 1,000,000 times better than Romero's last 3 efforts and I have already watched the pilot 2 times tonight alone since I got back from philly.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 02-Nov-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: WHY WHY WHY do we need this?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Dying

United States
    I have to agree with the majority, this initial pilot is better than anything Romero has done post-Day. Its miles ahead of Diary and Survival.

But I still love Land. Maybe since its the first zed film I saw in theater, but I think with some adjustments Land could've been one of the best ever. (No more Big Daddy, a better actor to play Riley, at least a half hour of more footage but also some cuts to the rest of the movie.) With a more serious tone, something along the lines of this very pilot we're discussing, Land woulda been the tits.

Undisclosed
    Romero has not made a decent movie since the 1980's. You can nitpick the TWD all you want, but its head-and-shoulders above anything Romero has done in a LONG time. Depending on how the balance of season one goes, it may turn out to be better than anything and everything Romero EVER did.

People that nitpick TWD should go back and watch early Romero with a critical eye. There are continuity errors all over the place. Romero's characters make stupid decisions left and right. Not to mention they are mostly unidimensional stereotypes.

Don't get me wrong I love Romero zombie movies, but trying to argue that Romero is some sort of movie genius is very difficult. He is the creator of the modern zombie meme, nothing more, nothing less.

United States
    well said, panic.

i agree on all points.