Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Season finale - "TS-19"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    After just re-watching this episode, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Dylan at the end. Tomorrow Is A Long Time was a nice fit for the season closer
    i was pretty impressed by that. as a matter of fact, the first season of mad men ended with a dylan track, "don't think twice it's alright", one of my favorite songs by him. it really fit the mood that episode ended on, and last night's TWD's inclusion of dylan had me smiling thinking of how great both those shows are. then i got to thinking that there's a high probability that the dylan song finishing the season may have been intentional due to how MM season 1 ended. just a thought.

EDIT: i also tend to think jenner wasn't "evil", just traumatized and wore-out. if they'd have had to end up killing him and finding an escape, that'd be different. but he was merely trying to be (in his mind, at least) merciful about things.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 07-Dec-2010 at 03:43 AM. Reason: ...........................................................................

United States
    After just re-watching this episode, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Dylan at the end.
    What, you mean this?

Dylan in The Walking Dead

I was surprised at their choice

United States
    moon, you are a class act. that shit was hi-fuckin-larious...

but you really should have thrown a "that's what she said!" in there...
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 07-Dec-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: ............................................................................

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    moon, you are a class act. that shit was hi-fuckin-larious...

but you really should have thrown a "that's what she said!" in there...
    D'oh! Spur of the moment thing. Plus they only give you 10 to work with. Oh well.

United States
    After just re-watching this episode, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Dylan at the end. Tomorrow Is A Long Time was a nice fit for the season closer.

Yeah I was trying to forget actually. Not a Dylan fan. . . at all really. . and the choice jarred with me and stood out from the final scene as a distraction. Didn't like it.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Have to agree with those objecting to the scientist being called "evil"...he was broken, damaged and beaten. He only stuck around because he made a promise to his wife (who he watched die, re-animate and then had to put down himself...all while taking scientific notes).

He also probably had a far bigger grasp of the sheer scale of the situation as well, he watched the lights go out...not just in his neighbourhood like most survivors, but all over the whole planet (and at some of the best prepared and safest places to be based), I don't believe he was exagerating when he called it an "extinction event".

I felt sorry for the guy, at worst he could be called misguided or defeated...not evil in my view.
    Agreed Legion, The guy was not EVIL... he was not sitting there rubbing his hands together with a devilish smile going... Muahahahahahaha... i shall lock you in and you watch the boom. If you try to leave I shall yell MULDOOOOOON!

I felt Dr. Jenner was a great part of the episode, and I think the CDC story arc, while short was great stuff, especially with the virtual MRI showing how the zombification process starts. Then finding out the originals of TS-19 in relation to the event was like WHOA!... it made somuch more sense on why he had more or less given up and seemed broken... however, anyone tyhnking the CDC contingency plan was far fetched has clearly lost their mind (Not anyone here, but I have read that on other forums and boards)

Now I am not 100% famailiar with the entire CDC and how it handles things of this nature (Devastating events) However, this episode would make a great argument for the US government to go solar in a facility like this to keep the lights on and everything functioning so they could contune their research.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 07-Dec-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: FUCK THIS REASON BOX SHIT... SOMEONE DISABLE THIS AS IT IS A MAJOR PAIN IN THE FUCKING ASS
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    I couldn't agree more with DjfunkmasterG about Jenner. I thought he truly believed his way out was the best and most humane way out of an endlessly violent, brutal and ultimately futile existance. To me, it's no different than any characters in the genre, past or future, who chose to eat a bullet after being hopelessly surrounded or finally realizing what exactly the big picture looked like.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Now I am not 100% famailiar with the entire CDC and how it handles things of this nature (Devastating events) However, this episode would make a great argument for the US government to go solar in a facility like this to keep the lights on and everything functioning so they could contune their research.
    I would imagine....well...HOPE that they've already got that set up. How stupid would it be to run on fuel? But hey....it is the government, so...

And I would also think they have a back up plan for total failure of the facility, much like the show. It would probably be something more contained, but there's no way they would let everything sit and possibly escape in the event of near human extinction. It shouldn't be a huge bomb, that's for sure. They'll have another Gone With The Wind on their hands.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    OK, here are my thoughts -

First the positive:

The opening hospital scene was fairly effective. Although thicker hordes of the undead in the hallway and clogged through doors would have added weight to the theory that they somehow overhwhelmed the military. The scene also shows Shane as a much more complex character than he had been drawn thus far. Also, I felt the dialogue, acting, and performances were strong throughout - by all characters, something that had been spotty in the series thus far. I was relieved also that there was an explanation of the varying times it takes for a corpse to turn.

Now the negative:

Was this escape from the walking dead or escape from the time bomb? Why was the antagonist of the show an automated building set to blow up and not the walking dead? Zombies once again were scarce until the few at the end that were cut through like butter (again making the zombie hordes appear all too vulnerable). The show seemed like a low budget SyFy version of '24', complete with the awful CG that was the final explosion. Also, how could Rick thank the Dr. at the end when in fact he had held them up for nearly an hour and was basically trying to kill them? That seemed awkward and unbelievable to me. Also, the theory as to why the Dr was alone still doesn't hold water for me. If you want me to believe in a world that hopeless then you better damn well convince me the zombie population is a potent, unrelenting menace in mind blowing numbers and I've seen little of that in this series.

The good news is the rating kicked ass and we're likely to see a marked improvement in budget and production quality next season.

On another note, on the whole TWD vs. recent GAR films, my two cents is the Land stands with the first three while Diary and Survival were pretty awful. And imo only certain episodes of TWD (certainly not all) were better than Diary and Survival. Episode 1 was probably better than Land though.
    Last edited by Gemini; 07-Dec-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: .

Norway
    For the record I thought Land sucked, Diary was a mixed bag and Survival was bad.
    As for the bomb going off I dont see any problem with that, you can rig explosives to destroy a building without doing much damage to the surrounding area and it would kill viruses and seal them underground.

Administrator

England
    Well, I have to say I enjoyed the final episode. Some nice techno-science babble and some interesting character play and tension!

Loved the opening flash back scene!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I enjoyed the final episode, it was great as a stand alone episode, maybe my 2nd favorite of the 6, but it left me a little underwhelmed as a season final. Next season I'd like to see a few more walking dead milling around in the background, and some more of the flash back scenes for sure.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States
    Maybe a nitpick, but did Rick really just forget he had a grenade all this time? Rick should have been madly searching for that grenade as soon as it went missing. I mean what if one of the kids got their hands on it for goodness sakes! And what was Carol's reason for hiding it? That made no sense for me.

United States
    I really enjoyed those moments from the entire season that had the whole Dawn and Day "vibe" going
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, I have to say I enjoyed the final episode. Some nice techno-science babble and some interesting character play and tension!

Loved the opening flash back scene!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    I really enjoyed those moments from the entire season that had the whole Dawn and Day "vibe" going
    Agreed with you both there, I really dug the finale. Outside of the first episode, TS-19 was my second-favourite episode (Wildfire being my favourite ... outside the season opener).

Will pimp my full thoughts in due course, but suffice to say I loved it. It was like Doc Logan's research remade for the 21st century.