Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Z - Set video shows running zombies?

Great Britain
    Going to give it a try, like others have said I don't mind it either being shamblers or runners (rather have shamblers as in the book), but its a wait and see for me, might end up being rubbish anyway even with runners or shamblers, Can't save a movie if its rubbish lol.

Undisclosed
    I have to admit, based on all the filming video's found on youtube, WWZ LOOKS as epic as the book. I still detest runners!
    You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulman View Post
    I have to admit, based on all the filming video's found on youtube, WWZ LOOKS as epic as the book. I still detest runners!
    Can but hope!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulman View Post
    that is the crux isn't it? if the movie is a big, epic zombie extravaganza, then the zombies could sprout fairy wings for all i care. no, i don't like runners. i think the massive, shambling hordes of zombies that are like an unstoppable undead tsunami, are much more creepy than runners. just my personal opinion. but still, the only thing i really care about is a quality, well made movie with decent acting and well done but not over the top good violent zombie fun.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    See...that's the problem, though. This two minute spy video proves that the movie is a disaster. It's done! I've given up hope!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    that is the crux isn't it? if the movie is a big, epic zombie extravaganza, then the zombies could sprout fairy wings for all i care. no, i don't like runners. i think the massive, shambling hordes of zombies that are like an unstoppable undead tsunami, are much more creepy than runners. just my personal opinion. but still, the only thing i really care about is a quality, well made movie with decent acting and well done but not over the top good violent zombie fun.
    Depends...

Let's put you in the following two scenarios. You're on the end of a park, and a few hundred yards there are 30 zombies:-
    1) The zombies are shamblers
    2) The zombies are runners

In which scenario do you fear more for your life? Clearly (2). The prospect of dozens of fast moving zombies is obviously terrifying!!

Now, I'm not suggesting this automatically leads to a better film, but it doesn't necessarily lead to a worse film. It all depends on the script, and the over all handling of the subject matter. IMHO

Given this, there's other things in the clip in question that concern me more than the spead of the zombies.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Depends...

Let's put you in the following two scenarios.
    As someone who has nothing against running zombies, in particular, let me give you this perspective by expanding the scope of this little exercise to three scenarios...

You're on the end of a park, and a few hundred yards there are 30 zombies:-
    3) The zombies are runners who shoot laser beams out of their eyes

In which scenario do you fear more for your life? Clearly (3), but which sends chills up your spine and gives you time to contemplate the hopelessness of your situation...the inevitability of death creeping towards you with plodding but unceasing steps? Clearly not (3) and probably not even (2). As a storytelling device, you have to hand it to the classic zombie, as bringing something singular to the table that sprinters and infected usually do not.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Shambling zombies = horror film. You have time to be afraid (be very, very afraid) and it builds tension and horror.

Running zombies = action film. You don't have time to be afraid because you're already dead or about to die. There is no time to set up suspense or fear.

Fear is a creeping thing that builds, not non-stop adrenaline pumping action. If a film includes zombies running/sprinting then it might be an enjoyable action film, but a horror film it really is not. There just isn't the time for fear. Most average people are more than likely dead before they have time to concern themselves with the horror of the situation.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 11-Sep-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Shambling zombies = horror film. You have time to be afraid (be very, very afraid) and it builds tension and horror.

Running zombies = action film. You don't have time to be afraid because you're already dead or about to die. There is no time to set up suspense or fear.

Fear is a creeping thing that builds, not non-stop adrenaline pumping action. If a film includes zombies running/sprinting then it might be an enjoyable action film, but a horror film it really is not. There just isn't the time for fear. Most average people are more than likely dead before they have time to concern themselves with the horror of the situation.

j.p.
    To a degree yes... Shamblers allow a better build up, and are just plain more believable.

By runners can still deliver horror if done right IMHO.

I won't write this film off just for that choice.
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    my point about the whole film is that i care less about whether the zombies run or not than i do about having a decent, entertaining flick to watch. if the script is lively and the actors are up for it and in form, then runner vs. shambler will matter a whole lot less.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    As someone who has nothing against running zombies, in particular, let me give you this perspective by expanding the scope of this little exercise to three scenarios...

You're on the end of a park, and a few hundred yards there are 30 zombies:-
    3) The zombies are runners who shoot laser beams out of their eyes

In which scenario do you fear more for your life? Clearly (3), but which sends chills up your spine and gives you time to contemplate the hopelessness of your situation...the inevitability of death creeping towards you with plodding but unceasing steps? Clearly not (3) and probably not even (2). As a storytelling device, you have to hand it to the classic zombie, as bringing something singular to the table that sprinters and infected usually do not.
    You're sort of bending my words/example there somewhat aren't you!

I did state, "It all depends on the script, and the over all handling of the subject matter." If the script/subject matter isn't handled well, and the whole premise isn't believable then that's a big problem. And as I also said, I personally find shamblers more believable.

We're just going to have to wait and see how good/bad this film turn out.

-- -------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    my point about the whole film is that i care less about whether the zombies run or not than i do about having a decent, entertaining flick to watch. if the script is lively and the actors are up for it and in form, then runner vs. shambler will matter a whole lot less.
    +1
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    It's not running zombies that are bad. It's adapting WWZ plot to work with running zombies. You can't force running zombies into the WWZ concept. It's just a bad fit at every conceivable level.

If they're going that route their best bet is to completely divorced themselves from the source material. And if they do that it could turn out to be a fantastic movie with running zombies. But if that's the case it WON'T be the WWZ portrayed in the book.

And let's say they make a really good movie out of it by changing the concept. That may be all good and well in some people's minds, but my personal disagreement with that is that the source material has been lessened in the exchange. Anyone seeing the movie and then getting interested in the book is going to be naturally let down. Again, I'd point out the example set by I Am Legend.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Undisclosed
    "Looks like they shot this in Disappointment city folks!" just sayin'
    I SMELL SOME POO...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I don't like, but I can live with, runners but WTF was that guy doing? First he's doing some weird breakdancing moves, then bashing himself against a car. That looked pretty dumb.
    I'm agreeing with rongravy here; I watched that clip a couple of times and can't seem to shake my confusion. EVEN if the zombies are runners and EVEN if one nibbling bite does a person in, break dancing into a zombie in mere seconds is something I feel is one notch away from retarded. I'll still watch the movie, but I think I'll buy the smaller size popcorn instead of the large.
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    Laaaaaaaame. Instant undead? GTFO.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."