Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again! Approved: BDXL 128 GB Blu-ray Disc Format

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've got one complaint about BR and it's set up. Why the fuck are some HDMI cords so expensive?? For certain 3-6 foot HDMI cords you're looking at about 30-50 dollars. WTF?

Are some of them made of gold or something?
    I got a kick ass "Monster" cable for about £20 but it's retail price was over £100!

Shows that they just mark up the price when they hit the main chain stores, they do the same with hi-fi interconnects and speaker cables because they don't make great profits on the actual electronic gear they sell.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've got one complaint about BR and it's set up. Why the fuck are some HDMI cords so expensive?? For certain 3-6 foot HDMI cords you're looking at about 30-50 dollars. WTF?

www.monoprice.com

all HDMI cables are the same why pay $100 for something you can get for $6.00
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    When they over charge for something like that you're mostly paying for a name brand. If you check the specs you'd see that they're exactly the same.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Never, ever UNDER ANY GODDAMN CIRCUMSTANCES buy ANY cables made by "Monster" - espiecally their $100 HDMI cables. Fuck Monster and their overpriced, over-hyped garbage.

Dj is right - www.monoprice.com - get all your cable needs (and a bunch of other stuff) directly from them. The EXACT same "Monster" cable that costs $100 (gold plated, ferrite core) is around $6-8 USD and is the same quality and build.

I'll never understand how Best Buy sells those $100 HDMI Monster cables with a clear conscience.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Never, ever UNDER ANY GODDAMN CIRCUMSTANCES buy ANY cables made by "Monster" - espiecally their $100 HDMI cables. Fuck Monster and their overpriced, over-hyped garbage.

Dj is right - www.monoprice.com - get all your cable needs (and a bunch of other stuff) directly from them. The EXACT same "Monster" cable that costs $100 (gold plated, ferrite core) is around $6-8 USD and is the same quality and build.

I'll never understand how Best Buy sells those $100 HDMI Monster cables with a clear conscience.

Because like many other things in our society, the sheeple are uninformed and don't know better.

They figure you get what you pay for and it must be that much more expensive for a reason. They defer to the "expertise" of these guys and get fleeced in the process.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    You are making it WAY too difficult, dude!

720p, 1080p, and 1080i - while some people don't understand that, YOU of all people do! you cannot tell me that's confusing for you.

The people who don't understand that stuff shouldn't have it anyway and should stick with their SD dvd player. If you DO understand it, and dammit MZ, I know you do! Then it should be no problem to understand profiles, cables & resolution.

Now, as far as re-puchasing your DVD catalog in BR - hell no! I own a shit-ton of DVD's, but guess how many BR discs I have? less than 20. Only buy the shit you know is a worthwhile upgrade. If it's not, then stick with the standard DVD disc and let your player up-convert it.
    1) No, the motherfuckers that force everyone to buy all this shit are making it too complex.

2) The 720p etc thing doesn't confuse me much - but that's not the point - I'm not like the average tech-schlub out there, and as everyone knows, the masses are idiots. They can't figure out this information - they can barely grasp Pan & Scan versus Widescreen, so how the fuck are they going to figure out 1080p versus 1080i - even I don't know wtf that's about (I've not been interested, so haven't wasted my time on it - if I'm not buying into all this shit, why research it, in other words. )

3) A bit fascistic to deny people technological advances (people with handfuls of cash they're retardedly desperate to fritter away with no idea) - especially when, one day, it'll overtake and they'll have no options. Again - for mass up-take, it's got to be cheap and retard-proof.

4) If you're only getting a few BR's, then what's the point? It's too early for most as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    MZ is like a Blu-Ray dinosaur man!
    You bet your ass I am - I'm a Tyranosaurus-Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    all HDMI cables are the same why pay $100 for something you can get for $6.00
    I had heard that really cheap HDMI cables weren't as good as decent cables (some techno-babble I don't understand) - not the really expensive ones, as those are - indeed - overpriced nonsense (*ahem* what was I saying about expense, again? :sneaky) ... so you have to get one that's about £20 ... and fuck me, the cable should come with the fucking unit. I mean goddamn, people.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Expense.

You have the tv. 150-200 bucks for the player. 20 bucks for a cord.

So that's 220. About the same for a top of the line DVD player. Expensive!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

I had heard that really cheap HDMI cables weren't as good as decent cables (some techno-babble I don't understand) - not the really expensive ones, as those are - indeed - overpriced nonsense (*ahem* what was I saying about expense, again? :sneaky) ... so you have to get one that's about £20 ... and fuck me, the cable should come with the fucking unit. I mean goddamn, people.

All Bullshit MZ, all of it Bullshit.

I worked for the company that made OEM Harley Davidson batteries and the same exact thing, just different color case for Aftermarket brands, yet Harley went on this tirade in the press about Non Harley OEM parts and what not... that was when the owner of the company went on record to say they are mfg. exactly the same. One has a name stamped on it that you pay for, the other does not and you save $75.00

Trust me MZ, all HDMI cables are made the same using the same material and process. even my Verizon FIOS guy told me that, although he didn't need too as I was using HDMI before he came around, but he was kind enough to give 10 extra cables so I have extras.

Stop being a cheap ass and go buy a fucking BR player.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 01-Jul-2010 at 06:22 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    -Now the discs are as cheap, if not cheaper than DVD.
    Where are you seeing Blu Ray movies for cheaper than DVD's??? Everywhere I've seen it's still the same as it was before: new Blu Rays = $19.99-29.99 ; new DVD's = $9.99-17.99

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've seen blu rays on sale for as cheap as 10 bucks but that's a very select group.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well if you go into a big store like Wal Mart or Best Buy the new releases are more expensive, but if you look in the right place they're cheap. If you must get them from one of those stores, give it a week or two and they mark them down considerably. They raise the prices like a mother fucker when it's new....

I prefer Amazon and the like for my purchases. Most of my Blu Rays came from there and were less than 10 bucks.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1) No, the motherfuckers that force everyone to buy all this shit are making it too complex.
    How so? Just like Dj said. Get a player (with an ethernet port), get a disc, get the TV - which I think you already have - and get the cable. How hard is that? The only way it gets "complex" is when someone makes it more complex than it needs to be. MZ, trust us, both Dj and I have been around the block with this stuff (him more so than I, but I learned REAL quick) and we would never point ya in the wrong direction.

The 720p etc thing doesn't confuse me much - but that's not the point
    Yes it is this point you coovan snorting nut! We're talking about a BR player for you, not the technically less advances schlubs out there.

and as everyone knows, the masses are idiots. They can't figure out this information - they can barely grasp Pan & Scan versus Widescreen, so how the fuck are they going to figure out 1080p versus 1080i - even I don't know wtf that's about
    You're telling me you don't know the difference between 1080i and 1080p? Or the difference between pan & scan and WS? I definitely think you've been hitting the coovan with Zombie Man.

i = interlaced scan
    p = progressive scan

If you're only getting a few BR's, then what's the point? It's too early for most as a result.
    Because the difference between HD and non-HD is astounding if you get the right discs. The ONLY reason I only have "a few" is because of the studios and their inconsistent remastering of discs. I seek out the "Best of the best... SIR!" I don't but shit I already have on HD-DVD or that isn't worth the upgrade. Like I said, we're in a transition period of the "dvd-to-BR" era, and some studios don't want to take the time to remaster movies correctly, but some of them do a STELLAR job of remastering the discs - so much so it makes the Standard Def DVD look like it was filmed the first week movie cameras were invented. As technology progresses in the scanning & remastering of these movies to HD, all the studios will catch up, buy new equipment for this purpose and start cranking out EXCELLENT versions of every BR. It's just a matter of time, and not that much either. Remember, "Moore's Law"

I agree, but your printer doesn't come with a cable either, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    All Bullshit MZ, all of it Bullshit.
    Dj is correct.

Think about it this way MZ - the signal on an HDMI cable is digital. It either makes it to the TV or it doesn't. The 'quality' doesn't matter as far as the cable is concerned. It did back when we were using component cables (the red, white & yellow ones) but now? in the digital age? doesn' t matter one bit. It either makes it to the TV and comes out the same as a $200 cable or it doesn't. There is no 'inbetween' in digital. 1's and 0's my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Where are you seeing Blu Ray movies for cheaper than DVD's??? Everywhere I've seen it's still the same as it was before: new Blu Rays = $19.99-29.99 ; new DVD's = $9.99-17.99
    I see BR's all the time for less than $20 here - sometimes less than $15 - however, the caveat to that is that it's usually during the first week of release. Once it's been out, the price goes back up unless it's on sale...and I still see standard def DVD's going for $17.00-$19.99 USD around here, so I think it just depends on how much of a bargain shopper you are.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 01-Jul-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How so? Just like Dj said. Get a player (with an ethernet port), get a disc, get the TV - which I think you already have - and get the cable. How hard is that?
    Pretty friggin' hard it seems

Dj is correct.
    Aren't I always?

I see BR's all the time for less than $20 here - sometimes less than $15 - however, the caveat to that is that it's usually during the first week of release. Once it's been out, the price goes back up unless it's on sale...and I still see standard def DVD's going for $17.00-$19.99 USD around here, so I think it just depends on how much of a bargain shopper you are.
    Best Buy and Wally World reduce prices of BR's on launch date to below DVD price to swing customers to BR.

However, i do most pre-orders through Amazon which is usually 50% of what the Best Buy Launch price would be... Bargains you just gotta hunt them down.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's true, but what kind of bizarro universe logic is that? Things normally get cheaper the longer they've been out.

I guess it's an incentive to increase early sales.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    It doesn't say that anywhere in that article. You can also update your firmware with discs, if you can't connect to the internet.

i never said i read an article,homie.