Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mad Max: Fury Road (film)

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Reviews seem very +ve - http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/M...oad-66583.html

Mad Max: Fury Road is a special film. It’s bombastically entertaining and action packed, but it doesn’t disregard emotion and story; and it’s a fitting follow-up that will make lovers of the Road Warrior giddy. But it’s also entirely accessible to those who have never even heard of the Mel Gibson-starring films. It’s a tremendous cinematic experience courtesy of George Miller, and a must-see.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    IGN gave it a 9.2 ... sure, they're not really a film reviewing outfit at all, but they dug it nonetheless.

I'm trying to organise a cinema trip with some mates to see it, but it's like pulling teeth to get any bugger to do anything these days. We'll see...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Woah. Saw it Saturday. What a ride. Definetly worth a trip to the cinema.
    It's all very practical, with stunts, extensive car chases and beautiful shots. There's little CGI, I counted only very few instances.

Unlike the original films, the movie is very colorful tho. It works, but it doesn't look at all as trashy as the originals - for better or worse.
    Apparently, the guy playing the villain is the Toecutter from Mad Max 1.

Super Moderator

Germany
    I saw it Saturday, and thought it was awesome.

What I found interesting was the the actor that played the main bad guy from Mad Max, Toecutter:

played the main bad guy in Fury Road, Immortan Joe:

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I saw it Saturday, and thought it was awesome.

What I found interesting was the the actor that played the main bad guy from Mad Max, Toecutter:

played the main bad guy in Fury Road, Immortan Joe:

He's aged well!
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    What a film. It felt like it belongs to a different era of filmmaking despite the big budget and fast editing (zillions of shots).
    The world building, costumes, attention to detail and the will to not use CGI to defy the laws of physics in an action film like this are so unlike anything in the cinema nowadays ...
    Never thought I'd write this but the script and they way the characters were portrayed never made me miss Mel, not even for a second.
    And then there's the pacing: the film is so relentless, the only thing that comes close as far as I can remember are the first 40 minutes of the second Evil Dead. It's not a rollercoaster ride, it's sitting in a damn rocket being shot into space as far as 'speed' is concerned. That Miller not only managed to smuggle in a lot of subtext (like many great westerns it's also a political allegory) but also kept his focus in the editing room with such long and complicated action scenes is nothing but a triumph. The film uses 'space' so well you'll always know what is going on and who is where doing what in the midst of all the mayhem.

A sequel to beloved genre films, decades after the release of the last one (Phantom Menace, Land of the dead, ...) shouldn't be this good. This one shatters your expectations.
    Go see it.
    Last edited by krisvds; 20-May-2015 at 04:42 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Came out with slightly mixed feelings, most likely because I went in expecting too much on a wave of +ve hype.

First of all, I loved the film. It's bold, different and doesn't give a f*** about beinbg un-PC. Where else have you seen fat ladies being milked?

The action in some sections is practically artwork, and the fact it's being done in the flesh/in the metal, rather than simply using CGI, adds to it.

The only things I had a problem with were:-
    1) It didn't seem to illude to an apocalypse as much as it could (should?) have? I would have expected just a few more nods in some fashion to how messed up the world was now. But this is minor.
    2) Some plot/emotional elements seemed a little lost. It's almost as if the film has been edited down and some explanations/sections have not reached the screen. The most obvious example of this is Furiosa reaching her old clan/group? (a) They were seemingly only 2-3 days drive away and it took her 20 years to bother to go back? (b) The film tried to evoke some huge emotional dump on the audience when she found out the group/clan were all but gone, but we were given so little information about it, it all felt very very flat (IMHO). A little more back story of what the group was about, and her connection to them, could have meant some emotional connection for the audience...

Any, clunky at times, but ultimately a great visual and action spectical. Here's hoping the next can bring more of the same, and also bring in a little more story/emotional elements too!

8/10!

ps: Some the props/cars were beautiful!

EDIT:-

Have any of you seen the suggestion that we aren't watching Max in this flick but in fact the ferile kid from Mad Max 2 with the boomerang?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Mad-M...ver-71559.html

Thing is it actually has some legs! I'll swear I saw "Max" holding a boomerang in the movie? And of course that would account for his lack of dialog and unwillingness to say his name?

That said, he does start the film by saying he was a police office and his name is Max?
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    2) Some plot/emotional elements seemed a little lost. It's almost as if the film has been edited down and some explanations/sections have not reached the screen. The most obvious example of this is Furiosa reaching her old clan/group? (a) They were seemingly only 2-3 days drive away and it took her 20 years to bother to go back? (b) The film tried to evoke some huge emotional dump on the audience when she found out the group/clan were all but gone, but we were given so little information about it, it all felt very very flat (IMHO). A little more back story of what the group was about, and her connection to them, could have meant some emotional connection for the audience...
    while I see what you mean with your 'furiosa's clan was only a 2-3 days drive away ...' argument let's not forget it was a pretty lethal 2-3 days drive away through very hostile terrain. We find out she was abducted by the immortan's tribe when she was a very young child (7000 days ago!) so he could have told her anything about her past when she was growing up. Maybe she only found out recently about her past and this triggered her road to redemption? Also: if I were to drive two to three days straight I'd end up in the south of spain. Not exactly a trip you undertake lightly? Now in a world where I'd be in the employ of an insane and violent dictator and precious little gasoline to go round ... You get what I mean.

Anyways the fact that so little was explained and virtually no one was given a backstory felt very refreshing to me.
    Still a bit blown away by it to be honest.

On the Max as the Feral Kid theory? I feel it's a bit pointless to put the Mad Max films on a timeline; to me they are closer to what Sergio Leone did with his 'Dollars' trilogy: there's the recurring mythic figure of a 'man with no name' but storywise there's little to no continuity. It could even be a different 'Max' every film. In the end it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by krisvds; 21-May-2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    On the Max as the Feral Kid theory? I feel it's a bit pointless to put the Mad Max films on a timeline; to me they are closer to what Sergio Leone did with his 'Dollars' trilogy: there's the recurring mythic figure of a 'man with no name' but storywise there's little to no continuity. It could even be a different 'Max' every film. In the end it doesn't really matter.
    Agreed with this. Especially considering he undergoes the exact same inner journey in the latter three films. He starts out caring only about himself, doing whatever needs to be done to scrape by. Looking out for number one and nobody else. Then he gets beaten, broken or forced into cooperating and in the end he sacrifices himself to let others live.

Administrator

England
    while I see what you mean with your 'furiosa's clan was only a 2-3 days drive away ...' argument let's not forget it was a pretty lethal 2-3 days drive away through very hostile terrain. We find out she was abducted by the immortan's tribe when she was a very young child (7000 days ago!) so he could have told her anything about her past when she was growing up. Maybe she only found out recently about her past and this triggered her road to redemption? Also: if I were to drive two to three days straight I'd end up in the south of spain. Not exactly a trip you undertake lightly? Now in a world where I'd be in the employ of an insane and violent dictator and precious little gasoline to go round ... You get what I mean.

Anyways the fact that so little was explained and virtually no one was given a backstory felt very refreshing to me.
    Still a bit blown away by it to be honest.
    I'd be very interested to find out there was more explanation there in the script which was cut. ie: There was this big (supposed) emotional moment and because we knew nothing it all felt a little lost IMHO. I actually sort of cringed as the music swelled, and tears flowed, and I sat there thinking, what are we actually supposed to be upset about on her behalf?

the Max as the Feral Kid theory? I feel it's a bit pointless to put the Mad Max films on a timeline; to me they are closer to what Sergio Leone did with his 'Dollars' trilogy: there's the recurring mythic figure of a 'man with no name' but storywise there's little to no continuity. It could even be a different 'Max' every film. In the end it doesn't really matter.
    I don't think the theory is right, BUT I'll swear Max was holding a boomerang in a scene? If so, a homage (like the music box)? Or a "hint"?

Personally I think it just "Max"
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    What's up with the guitar playing feakazoid?
    That was just silly. The rest of the movie was pretty good. Very visually pleasing, though I'm sure it was the bomb at the theater.
    I will say I really don't get the hype, though, like it was the best thing since... titties?
    I'm down for more, though, don't get me wrong. I thought it was a remake, but I was wrong. I read Hardy is down for a bunch more...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    What's up with the guitar playing feakazoid?
    That was just silly. The rest of the movie was pretty good. Very visually pleasing, though I'm sure it was the bomb at the theater.
    I will say I really don't get the hype, though, like it was the best thing since... titties?
    I'm down for more, though, don't get me wrong. I thought it was a remake, but I was wrong. I read Hardy is down for a bunch more...
    Yeh, that grated with me too! Especially when (if I recall correctly) for some reason that vehicle was towards the front of the chase? Why?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I presume it was a play on drummer boys and pipers in armies of old. I actually liked the guitar and drummer freaks. It suited the film.

All in all while I thought the film was much better than I reckoned it was going to be, I still prefer 'Mad Max II' and 'Mad Max III'. They feel more post apocalypse. 'Mad Max: Fury Road' looks like it's happening on another planet TBH.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....