Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TWD 2x03 "Save The Last One" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

England
    The head shaving thing was cause poor ole Otis had pulled a lump of hair out of Shane in desperation

-- -------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    This as far as I recall there was no major discovery or incident.
    I think he went to get Andreas gun which i presume he had hidden from her cause in the next scene he's giving it back to her
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Twitching

United States
    Hmm,
    It's completely unsupported, but yea, I could see Dale concealing the fact he saw (or make it even murkier, THOUGHT he saw a Sophia-shaped Walker which he could tell was a girl-child, but from behind, at a distance, and at night had no way to be sure) a dead/undead Sophia while it was just him and Carol. The only "hole" I see in that is this: If Dale saw a Sophia-Walker, or even a possible-Sophia-Walker, why wouldn't he take Daryl aside and quietly tell him so that come morning, Daryl could track and put down the child-zombie to eliminate the possibility of it wandering into Carol's field of view and definitely cause the loss of her sanity, and possibly even the loss of her life if, in massive denial of reality, Carol ran to embrace "her little girl" and got a chunk taken outta her for her trouble.

Again, I could see Dale keeping whatever-it-was to himself if it was Sophia-related while just him and Carol, but there's that scene near the side door to the RV where he gives Andrea's gun back that would've also provided excellent opportunity to say something to Daryl or Daryl and Andrea both. Would just seem really weird (though considering Dale feels entitled to keep critical info that could easily affect the survival of the group to himself when it suits him/to control the group's actions...) but not beyond the plausible for him to sit on such info until the group was more consolidated. Even with Daryl, Andrea and Dale there, if Carol overheard anything like that about Sophia they'd basically have to hogtie her and take turns watching her, all while also watching out for Walkers. A tall order for 3 people, especially if Daryl headed out to terminate Sophia-the-Walker and left Andrea and Dale to deal with an unbalanced Carol.

Still, is an interesting open question.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    The head shaving thing was cause poor ole Otis had pulled a lump of hair out of Shane in desperation

-- -------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

I think he went to get Andreas gun which i presume he had hidden from her cause in the next scene he's giving it back to her
    This is what I was thinking on my drive home... it impossible he hid it in a car so she wouldn't find it.

Last edited by Thorn; 02-Nov-2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: to edit

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I was scratching my head with that one. You're missing a clump of hair, so you're going to shave your head? That should have made it more obvious, not get rid of the evidence....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I was scratching my head with that one. You're missing a clump of hair, so you're going to shave your head? That should have made it more obvious, not get rid of the evidence....
    Not only that but hair can come out a million ways.. .a zed grabbed it, it was caught on a fence/tree/zipper?/Window. I am more talking about the symbolic need to have him shave his head in cinema though, generally you don't waste time with things like that in an hour long show unless it A) has significant meaning to character development B) Is part of a major plot point.

So either it is good story telling through symbolism, or zombie Otis is going to come shambling home looking for some home cooking shot up, with hair and DNA in and on his hands from Shane making it even harder to explain off. That seems extraneous to me, you just do the gun thing and he deals with it poorly... it is enough to move the plot further IMO.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    SHANE.... YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!!

WOW, all I can say right now... I know I am 4 days late, but I got a new job and been busy tweaking All in the Game.

What a great moment, but at the same time... WTF?

I will say some of the best zombie footage shot for this show, was shot in those scenes.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Shame on you Shane, acting and now looking insane.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Otis.....

had a generic death coming, so it makes more dramatic sense that they made it important....

United States
    Just watched last sunday's episode again (yeah it was that damn good). Noticed in the short for next week's episode a scene where Shane (I think it was Shane) places Rick's pistol down on a map that they're all gathered around looking at. It was a close up of the hand placing the gun on the map so it's likely Shane's hand. If they bothered to show that close up scene, I think that it's an important plot point.

Rick is going to be at least somewhat suspicious about how his gun which he originally lent to Otis somehow got into Shane's possession, especially since in the sneak peek for #204, Shane relays that they "were down to pistols" when Otis sacrificed himself.

Oh this is going to be goooooood!
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 04-Nov-2011 at 06:01 AM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States

England
    Damn, Shanes an arse! Otis didnt deserve that, its clear the cracks are getting ever wider in Shanes sanity too! Great episode, I'm just getting really sick of the commercials on FX, its like the shows barely been on 2 minutes before the next 5 long minute ad break, its really breaking the immersion for me I'd watch online but I dont like sitting at my desk to watch TV programmes, and I cant hook my PC up to a TV!

Ireland
    Your DVD player or Blu Ray probably has xvid playback ability Tricky. So, get the episode of the web and watch it through a memory stick (if your player has a USB slot) or burn it to a disk.

No ads!
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Damn, Shanes an arse! Otis didnt deserve that, its clear the cracks are getting ever wider in Shanes sanity too! Great episode, I'm just getting really sick of the commercials on FX, its like the shows barely been on 2 minutes before the next 5 long minute ad break, its really breaking the immersion for me I'd watch online but I dont like sitting at my desk to watch TV programmes, and I cant hook my PC up to a TV!
    Seemingly it's just us two Brits who watch it on FX! All the other Brits download it, the cheeky gits.

It seems that on FXUK, we get a solid 15 minutes, then adverts, then 7 or 8 minutes, then adverts, then another 7 or 8 minutes, then the final ad break, then however long is left of the episode (which is about 42 minutes without advert breaks).

Anyway - the episode itself - well, I had already guessed that Shane would shoot Otis and use him as bait while he made his escape ... why did I come to this conclusion days before seeing the episode? Because of some random comment by some idiotic prat somewhere on the web (can't remember where now, but certainly not here on HPOTD where everyone is being very good and respectful about spoilers) ... anyway, it was some topic of discussion type thing that went something like this "So what do you guys think of Shane's actions?" ... well considering the context of episode two, with just him and Otis at the school surrounded by zombies and they need to get back, it's pretty fucking obvious that his action was shooting Otis. *sigh* So yeah, that surprise was spoiled by one random comment somewhere out there on the internet that I'd read before I'd even realised I had read it ... but regardless of it being spoiled by some twirp that doesn't think hard enough, the actual twist in the episode was a great one.

It certainly makes Otis a far more important character than he ever was in the comics - heck, 2x02 made him infiinitely more important, but his death makes him all the more important. I think this is going to prove to be a great avenue for plot development, as well as character development for Shane ... I think it was after Shane was killed in the very first trade paperback (as has been mentioned many times by Kirkman, so I can't see that info as being a spoiler to anyone on here) that Rick really started having to tread into unknown territory where terrible decisions (no choice being ideal) had to be made ... so it's interesting that perhaps it's Shane who has to do that first, and then once we inevitably lose Shane it'll be Rick's turn - although you can see the seeds of the sorts of decisions Rick will have to make being sewn.

The look on Dale's face, this apparent shot of Rick's gun - all these sorts of things are going to make for some excellent character conflict - particularly in bringing these two groups together ... so from the get-go, the relationship of the two groups is based on a horrific near-fatal accident, and then betrayal possibly tinged with revenge and/or selfish intent.

The way I took it from the episode, Shane did it from simply practical means - the geeks were going to gain on them eventually, he needed a distraction to slip away, and Otis was that distraction. It's these sort of awful decisions - where people are pushed to brutal extremes - that make the comics so great in my view (I just got myself volumes 7 and 8 of the trade paperbacks ... been meaning to catch up on them a bit for a while). So I think he viewed it in purely brutal practical means - in an almost 'animal kingdom' way, where there is no such thing as personal conscience.

I think it's interesting to note that Shane doesn't "stay" when Lori tells him to. He's clearly ashamed of his actions, and utterly haunted by how far he's allowed himself to go.

Zombie wise - some excellent stuff - I really felt that they were surrounded and fucked from all angles. That added to Shane and Otis' desperation - everywhere they turned, they were being tracked down - and being injured, lugging heavy gear, you're going to get more and more exhausted until you can barely move. The geeks don't get tired, they keep coming at a steady pace and eventually they'll catch you - and that point was coming very soon - so Shane made that astonishing decision. Wow - they really played that moment, huh?

I'd say that Shane shaves his head to try and 'cover up' the bit of hair that's been yanked out (I don't think you could hide that by a comb over ) - but also I think he does it out of emotional reasons. He clearly sees that he has gone somewhere he never thought he'd go - he's trying to remove the vision of what he used to be - he doesn't want to be reminded of his old self. Since the zombie apocalypse began he's done awful things and seen awful things, and now he's crossed a line that you'd never cross in normal circumstances - hence shaving his head.

One nitpick - I think they need to be a bit stricter on their zombie extras when it comes to speed ... the Hinzman Hobble is sometimes being stretched a tad here and there in the odd shot, but only by some of the zombies, not all of them. So they need to be a bit more consistent with the speed of the hobble.

Rick didn't have much to do this episode, but it wasn't his episode - it was Shanes - but we did get some time with Glenn too, as he's not been in much of the first two episodes.

I also hope they wrap up this Sophia thing soon too - we didn't see her in that clip, but perhaps she's off camera in the house sleeping or something, because I can't imagine they'd all be hanging around doing that when a girl is still out there missing. So whether she's dead or alive, we don't know, but I'd hope that they find her in episode four.

Finally - the zombie hanging by it's neck was awesome - the legs having been eaten away was a gleefully gruesome touch. It's also good how they paired Andrea and Dale together - the former is in a confused emotional state, the latter is in purely practical harsh reality mode, and I think Andrea learns something from that ... but as I've said before, hopefully we'll see a softer side to Daryl when he finally gets the chance to pause for a moment without looking over his shoulder.

As for episode four, I wonder if we'll get to see

the barn full of zombies.

Dead

United States
    I think the scene where Dale walks off and leaves Carol on top of the RV was done to convey the idea that Carol can't use a firearm. Because Dale tries to give her his rifle to keep watch while he's gone, but Carol won't take it and says "I don't know how to use that". It's setting the situation up for everyone to have to become able to handle themselves. As it is they're all subject to each others weaknesses and inabilities. They function as a group of individuals, not as a cohesive team of survivors that can look out for each other.
    I'm just getting really sick of the commercials on FX, its like the shows barely been on 2 minutes before the next 5 long minute ad break, its really breaking the immersion for me
    I couldn't agree more! It's aggravating, and it gets worse toward the end of the episode. What's even worse is that they won't allow you to fast forward through the ads when you watch it "on-demand" anymore either. Although, it's not on FX here, it's on AMC.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Seemingly it's just us two Brits who watch it on FX! All the other Brits download it, the cheeky gits.
    Hey i watch it FX too.. a workmate of mine actually offered me the entire season 2 on DVD and i went mad at him! Part of the fun is watching it build up week by week and making guesses as to what happens next..

I Dont post much on it becuase i really dont know what i can add, everytime i come on here and read the topics all my questions or what i would have posted seem to have been covered already lol