Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overated horror movies...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser235 View Post
    5) The Birds
    The Birds is pretty awesome. Consider that it's a survival horror movie, with people stranded in a place with no help coming. It might as well have been the prelude to Night of the Living Dead. I don't know how it can be considered overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser235 View Post
    7) The Exorcist
    Exorcist was just piss-ya-pants scary at the time.

Tapped into religious/afterlife fears? Check.
    Based on a true story? Check.
    Lead actress couldn't appear in public cause she scared people? Check.

Dawn of the Dead overrated? No ya did-unt. I'm not hearin that!
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    I don't know, The Exorcist never did anything for me either. I saw it as a teen and to this day I wonder what all the fuss was about.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I don't know, The Exorcist never did anything for me either. I saw it as a teen and to this day I wonder what all the fuss was about.
    Some teen chick shoving a cruifix up her snatch doesn't make you wanna sit and say... hmmmmm, this might be interesting
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Some teen chick shoving a cruifix up her snatch doesn't make you wanna sit and say... hmmmmm, this might be interesting
    Gary, I didn't know you were at the same Goth club I was at the other night...

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    It does, and it did, but then I watched it and was pretty much bored by it.

I'm just not into the demon/posession kinda flicks. I haven't found one yet that I really liked.

United States
    For me . . .the Catholic symbolism was a big part of the scare in the Exorcist. I do find that Catholics, parents, and very religeous people seem to be the groups most effected by the Exorcist.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Exorcist is a perfect example of the "less is more" horror we were talking about in another thread. The tension and spooks that film creates within the first 2 acts without any effects or "monster" reveals is amazing to me. By the time you get to Regan's full transformation and the exorcism you're ready to believe anything.

Fantastic film, imo.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The Exorcist is a perfect example of the "less is more" horror we were talking about in another thread. The tension and spooks that film creates within the first 2 acts without any effects or "monster" reveals is amazing to me. By the time you get to Regan's full transformation and the exorcism you're ready to believe anything.

Fantastic film, imo.
    Agreed and I also think The Exorcist 3 is very underrated and a great film with excellent atmosphere.

Ireland
    I think the main reason why 'The Exorcist' works is because the whole crew involved takes it incredibly seriously. It's a hokey story on the face of it, but everyone involved plays it very straight.

Far too often, modern "horror" films inject stupid and completely un-necessary humor into a film. I have no idea why to be honest, it almost universally never works.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    That's just the point--it's the same movie. Almost exactly the same. Ditto the remake of Ju-on better known as The Grudge. They even filmed it in Japan among all those similarly-looking Asian peoples.
    See, the ju-on remake gets a bad rep for being a remake like so many other "horror updates". But the grudge is a case the same to the evil dead 2. its the same director going back to his own film with money to make alterations. Honestly i like them both but the original hasn't aged well and the movie is far, far too long for the one trick subject matter. Not only did i find his second attempt a more competent film in terms of cinematrography, but a scarier film. It's a shame some of the story didnt make the culture translation too well.

But then i don't remember samara in the ring being a psychic hermaphrodite whos came from the sea either so...

-As for the original post, yeah, texas chainsaw is so overrated. for one thing its got the worst pacing of any "cult" horror film. By the time the girls tied to the chair at the family dinner table i could not give a fuck what happened to here and got bored and wanted to leave.
    -that would probably explain the numbers of people running from the cinema its just too long and gets boring.

as for blair witch you like it or dont because of its fps nature, you put yourself into there shoes and only get out of the experience as much as you put in.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    The Birds is pretty awesome. Consider that it's a survival horror movie, with people stranded in a place with no help coming. It might as well have been the prelude to Night of the Living Dead.
    Bingo! You might as well call the original King Kong overrated if you can't give it up for The Birds at this point. Just wait, they'll besmirch it with a CGI remake.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    See, the ju-on remake gets a bad rep for being a remake like so many other "horror updates". But the grudge is a case the same to the evil dead 2. its the same director going back to his own film with money to make alterations.
    It's more like a low-budget Japanese director jumping aboard the cash-rich Hollywood/J-Horror gravy train.

Ju-on was originally a very low-budget (even for Japan) made-for-TV movie which included a sequel. It was made because Ring was such a huge breakout hit, although ghost stories in Japan have always been popular. Just prior to that time, there had been a series of haunted school films, Gakko no Kaidan, though the emphasis was less on horror and more on the supernatural.

Anyhow, when the made-for-TV versions did well enough, the director received a larger budget to lens a feature version. This is where he truly fine-tuned the concept and made his alterations. The subsequent Hollywood remake with Sarah Michelle Geller is just a bad copy.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 23-Jun-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    the blair witch project. nothing else even remotely comes close. the most over hyped piece of dung that has come down the pike in a long time.

yeah, it's scary alright - if you are 7 fucking years old.

what a profoundly stupid, stupid movie.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    the blair witch project. nothing else even remotely comes close. the most over hyped piece of dung that has come down the pike in a long time.

yeah, it's scary alright - if you are 7 fucking years old.

what a profoundly stupid, stupid movie.
    It's a polarizing film, no doubt about that. People either love it or hate it. I personally love it and think it's a great work of film-making (the documentary filmed along with it on the DVD where they interview 'family' members, etc., should be watched along with the film as I think it goes along with it for a more complete story). One of the main reasons I love "Blair" so much is because it is open-ended -- was it a bunch of pissed-off rednecks that did them in? Was it an escaped convict? Was it the witch who had come back for vengeance? You never know -- and they don't attempt to cheapen the film by showing some silly CGI monster which would have ruined the film or slap some "explanation" onto the end of it. It is what it is. What works best about "Blair" is that you just don't know, and this is why I appreciate it as much as I do. Often times a horror film can be frightening up to the moment the monster/creature/etc. is shown -- and then it stops being scary.

I will say the second one ("Book of Shadows") is not very good though -- although the goth chick in that flick is extremely attractive.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post

I will say the second one ("Book of Shadows") is not very good though -- although the goth chick in that flick is extremely attractive.

j.p.
    I agree with you on the original but not the sequel. I thought it was a quality film. IMO if it was called anything besides BW2 it would have done better.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Kim Director... *drool*

I think even though I didn't care too much for the 2nd Blair Witch, it was much better than the first. I find it hard to believe they spent as much as they did on the first film to run around in the woods with a camera. Hell, Dj makes feature length films for half the cost (possibly even less than that) with more locations and actors, so I'm not impressed. Especially considering what was in the film. They could've done that movie for the cost of the camera alone over a few weekends.

I will say this though: kudos to them for accomplishing what they did with BW, it's just, I guess I don't "get it" or it just didn't grab me like it did others.

Either way, BW2 was more entertaining and much more coherent (which says a lot considering the content of the flick) than the first. Not to mention it's the first time I got to see Jeffrey Donovan in action. Now I see him every week on Burn Notice - dude makes a kick-ass spy.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 24-Jun-2010 at 12:26 PM.