View Poll Results: What did you think of Survival of the Dead?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it.

19 13.01%
  • Liked It.

53 36.30%
  • Meh, neither here nor there.

25 17.12%
  • Disappointed.

29 19.86%
  • Hated it.

20 13.70%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you who **have seen** Survival of the Dead - - - opinion poll!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So you are suggesting that the heroes should have hovered over the gang with the helicopter? The gang with machine guns, grenades, and who knows what else? I just don't see that being a smart idea at all. They take enough fire in that helicopter and they're fucked.
    Hit and run? Yeah, hit and run.

I don't know how high a bullet can be shot straight up, but I gotta figure I can throw molotovs down from higher than they can retaliate. Especially since bullets shot up come down too.

The low on fuel point is a valid one. But that gets into the whole "wtf were they doing" angle. I would've made securing fuel for the helicopter a very high priority, especially if I have a couple or 10 trucks just sitting around to scout and haul.

My biggest fear would be them finding where I land, refuel, and rest.

I still want to see Dawn of the Dead 1.5 where Peter and Fran fly around in the helicopter dropping stuff on the bikers day and night, stopping only to rest and refuel. That'd be a fun movie.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Super Moderator

UK
    Realistically, in terms of fighting back, they could have taken careful pot shots from multiple positions on the roof - using distractions. One shoots, then scarpers, while the biker's attention is distracted, the other shoots from a different position before scarpering and then they just repeat the process like that.

Fran, being fairly pregnant, wouldn't be able to help an awful lot - indeed it'd make sense for her to stay clear of it for the safety of the unborn child.

Using the chopper wouldn't have been a good idea, especially as you'd want to conserve the remaining fuel you have in case you needed to escape (as they eventually did).

So really, carefully picking them off from the roof, in a hit & run fashion, would be the best way to do it if you were going to fight back. The biker's wouldn't have found the way up to the roof as they'd perfectly covered up that entrance, it was only Flyboy zombie's residual memory that scuppered that plan (I've always been annoyed that they never closed those large steel doors and locked them, by the way) ... the Biker's would have no clue about that fake wall.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Never thought about that door thing. Maybe they kept them open as a back up plan. If for whatever reason they couldn't use the elevator/shafts to get back to the room, they could bust through the wall?

It definitely wouldn't be hard to go through it. Seriously....who makes a wall out of cardboard?
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Apr-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So you are suggesting that the heroes should have hovered over the gang with the helicopter? The gang with machine guns, grenades, and who knows what else? I just don't see that being a smart idea at all. They take enough fire in that helicopter and they're fucked.

Either way they went, they were far out-numbered and out-gunned. If they had picked them off from the roof they would have dropped a few, but they wouldn't have forced a retreat. Not three guns against hundreds(?), at least. And using the traffic report chopper that's low on fuel as an attack vehicle? Something about that just doesn't jive with me....

The only wise alternative from how it played in the movie is to take off and just get the hell out of there when the bikers arrived. No matter what they did to try and save the mall, it was destined to be overrun by the bikers and zombies. There was no stopping it, imo.

All this makes me wonder what if Roger had lived. We see What Peter, trained swat probably with a military (nam?) Backround, was able to do singlehandedly. He tore them a new asshole, probably decimated a good percentage of their gang.

If he would have had his little buddy at his side they might not have gotten through the front door.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    in the book, roger is the one with the 'nam background, never says about peter being in the military.

as for survival, isn't it available to download sometime soon? i gotta see what all the fuss is about...

United States
    to answer my own question, survival of the dead is available on xboxlive right now for those who've not seen it...

however, they are asking 800 ms points for an SD rental, 1200 for an HD rental. fuck microsoft (yeah, you heard me cooper), there's no way i'm paying that much for a godddamn rental.

guess i'll just wait or check other outlets, such as netflix, on demand, etc.

Canada
    Just download it.

United States
    holy fuck this movie is terrible so far. people aren't shitting about how campy it is. it's like watching a live-action zombie cartoon on sci-fi with the largest amount of shitty cgi-effects ever.

no kidding, less than 10 minutes in and i'd already seen more crappy cgi zombie deaths than land and diary combined. the accents are terrible, totally moronic characters...only 35 minutes in and i'm throwing in the towel, think george needs to do the same.

at least with the "...of the dead" films. the magic is gone, mr. romero, move on to something else.

i may try to finish this later, but wow....

and i know that i was just gripin' about the "100+ bitches about (movie title)" threads, but i imagine one for survival would practically write itself. get to work, somebody.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 30-Apr-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Undisclosed
    I liked it, better than Diary by a long shot. The story was good IMO and was not as over the top as I feared from the early reports. The gore was good, the acting was pretty good and for the most part I liked it quite a bit.

I found inconsistancies annoying at times. I was not sure how you kill a zombie with a foam fire extinguisher that way and some of those kills put me off. If he just beat it I am fine but that just got me a bit and some of the CGI always puts me a bit out of it. The zombies riding the horse was really strange to me, just that she could stay on it. Then all of the sudden at the end she decides to eat it. She was on it all that time and all these other zombies just decided they could eat animals too? Seems like they should have done that sooner on, but ok I guess.

The thing that sort of got me at the end was the sort of wondering implication that any of the sides were really right. IMO Patrick's was with the need to put them down. I do not see how them eating everything else helps matters. They still like to eat us more than anything else, it just means they will basically try and wipe out life which we are a part.

United States
    I was in England for 2 weeks and picked up a copy (5 pounds at Tesco) to watch. After my first viewing, I am pretty luke warm either way. It's nothing outstanding but nothing horrible either. My biggest complaint (as others have stated) is the poor CGI...espcially the heads on poles scene.

I was concerned it would be too slapstick but that wasn't the case to me. Hopefully I get another chance to watch it again soon and develop a better feeling of it.

Undisclosed
    Some quick views: Watched it via PPV last night and was pleasantly surprised. Not as bad as I heard online - actually liked it. I thought it was much better than Diary. Acting was good as were the characters.

Although it is strange that normally you can tell a GAR film just by watching a few scenes. If this one had the credits cut off and I saw it - I don't think I would have known who made it. Felt like GAR in the scene towards the end - shoot out/zombie feast. Previously in Diary, only felt like a GAR film in the scene where the kids meet up with the soldiers in the building. Perhaps his earlier films, it's the way they were shot/lighted/edited/scored - Can't put my finger on why just those scenes though in Survival...

Music in Survival I didn't care for at all. Overall I liked it and found it entertaining. Thought it was a definite improvement over Diary.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post

Music in Survival I didn't care for at all. Overall I liked it and found it entertaining. Thought it was a definite improvement over Diary.

I totally forgot about the music...which explains how I feel about it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Whatever happened to Harrison doing the score, anyway? That would've been a nice reunion.

Super Moderator

UK
    Whatever happened to Harrison doing the score, anyway? That would've been a nice reunion.
    Scheduling conflict, wasn't it?

I don't get all this complaining about the music - I quite like it - especially the track that plays over the DVD menu which is featured in the movie.

Considering the Western overtones, more of a Western vibe might have been an idea, but nevertheless I dig the score. I don't understand the hatred some people lump on it.

Undisclosed
    Maybe the same thing that happend with John Carpenter not being allowed to score Land Of The Dead (would have been amazing).

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jj...orge-a-romero/

How they let GAR make a movie and then not let him score it the way he wants to is Sadly makes you wonder how much control he has over the edit/etc..