Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [REC] - Spanish zombie film

Undisclosed
    The Spanish version. It was anounced on Bloody Disgusting recently.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Maybe the sequel will explain what the hell the ending was all about
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Hmm, I wonder what direction it will take ("hand held cam" or an actual "movie").

Cheers for the info Slick.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Hmm, I wonder what direction it will take ("hand held cam" or an actual "movie").

Cheers for the info Slick.
    As long as it isn't Blair Witch 2 direction, then fine.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    I'm afraid the [REC] sequel is just an unconfirmed rumor. Balagueró and Plaza are currently prepping other projects (Plaza's "Circus" and Balagueró's "La dama número 13").

Here's the Spanish source:

http://www.aullidos.com/leer_noticia...d_noticia=4527

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    saw this film recently and as blown away.
    don't think its been posted yet so heres a link to the remake trailer:
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/quarantine/

looks like a shot-for-shot copy so it can't be all bad? can it?
    probably.
    but it looks like they even used the same building, would be interesting to watch anyway.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Saw this for the first time recently and was blown away, so good to have a film that adheres to the traditional conventions while still being fast paced and scary as hell. This is the film i was hoping Diary of the Dead would be.

Can't see it posted anywhere yet so heres the trailer for the remake:
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_p...ine/index.html

looks like a shot-for-shot remake so it can't be all bad right? right??
    still, some of the shots in the trailer are identical, (especially the last one) and even the building looks identical. if it ain't broke don't fix it i guess. should be interesting.

United States
    Just had a chance to see this one last night. While not "the second coming of the horror genre" as some have made it, it was pretty damn good. Seemed very realistic & captured the vibe of what it would be like to be at "ground zero" when the outbreak began.

Very tense & fast moving with some good scares in some parts (kinda like if you made a zombie movie in a "haunted house", like the kind you go through at Halloween). Downright creepy in some parts. Some fresh ideas, particularly in the twist towards the end. Confining (literally) all the action to the one, claustrophobic, environment turned things up a notch too.

A lot of people thought that "Diary" would be "Blair Witch with Zombies", but that was more how this one played out to me

particularly the ending, which while creepy and scary, seemed almost directly out of Blair Witch

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    J
    A lot of people thought that "Diary" would be "Blair Witch with Zombies", but that was more how this one played out to me

particularly the ending, which while creepy and scary, seemed almost directly out of Blair Witch
    Then apparently a lot of people made the wrong assumptions about Diary. Both films were good yet completely different, so what would be the point of anyone wishing that one movie be more like the other? It should be preferable to have two different takes on the genre, but as someone pointed out in another thread, moviegoers just want DAWN over and over.

I also believe the ending to [REC] was directly lifted from many fps video games, not the ridiculously ambiguous Blair Witch Project, and that is meant as a good thing.

United States
    Excellent summary of the movie. Spot on!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Then apparently a lot of people made the wrong assumptions about Diary. Both films were good yet completely different, so what would be the point of anyone wishing that one movie be more like the other?
    I think it's because Blair Witch made such a big splash w/ the POV technique that as soon as anyone hears of a movie being made with it, it's automatically "Oh, it's Blair Witch w/ Godzilla" or "It's Blair Witch w/ Zombies"

You're right, Diary is a totally different movie. I think it's a testament to both films (& film makers) that they're using the same method (roughly, in Diary it's more polished, which makes sense contextually, whereas in [Rec] it's rougher & more frantic, given the scenario), but both tell much different stories from much different perspectives & both work in their respective contexts (IMO)
    ---MS

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I think it's because Blair Witch made such a big splash w/ the POV technique that as soon as anyone hears of a movie being made with it, it's automatically "Oh, it's Blair Witch w/ Godzilla" or "It's Blair Witch w/ Zombies"
    You're right, people are just eager to categorize movies into a neat little boxes, and that includes those who market the finished products. Blair Witch may have brought the POV technique to the forefront, but that's what caused the film to fail for me. The filmmakers didn't trust their own actors, and so the filming style quickly became a gimmick. It was far too crude to convey any of the subtlety or creepiness of the back story, which happened to be the film's greatest strength.

I'd rather watch a film with a little more polish and style, even if it means sacrificing a bit of "realism." It's the difference between painting a picture and snapping a photograph.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 14-Jun-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    umm is there an english, latin or norwegian (subtitled) version of this? otherwise fook it.

i frakked around with enough languages in college and spanish is a language i would rather die than even pay attention to.

I'm with yah on the language bit but it looks cool. This whole 'rage' thing has promise. I like the idea of some nut cases in a lab trying to come up with the next big weapon (28 Days/Weeks) and it all goes to heck. You're right, lets get it in english though.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman6565 View Post
    I'm with yah on the language bit but it looks cool. This whole 'rage' thing has promise. I like the idea of some nut cases in a lab trying to come up with the next big weapon (28 Days/Weeks) and it all goes to heck. You're right, lets get it in english though.
    The DVD release has English subtitles. If you don't understand Spanish, watching it in English is a must. There is quite a bit of characterization that would otherwise be missed. A friend downloaded an unsubbed avi and thought the movie sucked.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Then apparently a lot of people made the wrong assumptions about Diary. Both films were good yet completely different, so what would be the point of anyone wishing that one movie be more like the other? It should be preferable to have two different takes on the genre, but as someone pointed out in another thread, moviegoers just want DAWN over and over.

I also believe the ending to [REC] was directly lifted from many fps video games, not the ridiculously ambiguous Blair Witch Project, and that is meant as a good thing.
    I think people compare POV flicks to Blair because that's where it all started. Diary was just a bad movie. I think people like the idea of going to the Dawn point because that is after the out break and the world is in a major nose dive. I think GAR blew it on two fronts. The first the POV thing. Second, going back to the start.

As for Quarantine, it looks like a great ride. Count me in. Maybe GAR needs to take a look and get his head back in the game.