Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Diary of the Dead 2 Production Begins (?)

Undisclosed

Ick...

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I heard that the movie will feature a zombie civilization and will continue in the handheld documentary style even though Jason is dead and everyone who lived through the movie criticized him for doing that.

Face it - you can't make up a rumor more ridiculous than the truth. *crying*

It's an intentional error. That is the poster's social commentary on George's legendary inattention to detail. It's a reflection of the times. I'm sorry you didn't "get" it.

I HATED the hand held camera and everyone in the film bitching about "why are you filming this???" pure crap.

George, you're gonna **** this up bad.
    "Totally Togepi!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    The glass is half full of rotting entrails Trin.

I've decided to enjoy the anticipation before the movie, since that may be the only enjoyable part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I HATED the hand held camera and everyone in the film bitching about "why are you filming this???" pure crap.

You, sir, are harshing my mellow.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

I've decided to enjoy the anticipation before the movie, since that may be the only enjoyable part.
    Good luck, Trin, let us know how that works out for you.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Imo, The handheld perspective is good in short bursts. Some aspects of the story actaully benefit from it. However, there are others that suffer from it. truthfully, I like the first person perspective confined to my shooters.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Good luck, Trin, let us know how that works out for you.
    It's working great, my friend. Thanks for asking!!

I'm not a fan at all of the first person perspective thing. I won't say it really killed Diary for me, but it sure didn't help. I felt like the whole movie was coming to me through a tunnel and I couldn't see what I wanted to see or could've seen given a third person perspective or a mixed perspective. I agree that it's good in short bursts or to bring home specific points. But the whole movie? It felt like a gimmick to me. And like most gimmicks one use is about all they're good for.
    Last edited by Trin; 25-Aug-2008 at 09:26 PM.

United States
    I'm going to ignore the zombie civilization thing. I'm just going to pretend that means "lots of them." And the whole peace thing I'm going to interpret as "putting them at peace."
    I'm thinking this could be a bit of hyper-press release-hyperbole...it certainly reads like it. I'm not reading too much into it...yet.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    It's so funny to hear GAR fans bitching about him making a zombie movie. Who could've imagined it four years ago?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Hoosier View Post
    It's so funny to hear GAR fans bitching about him making a zombie movie. Who could've imagined it four years ago?
    I know,I'am so happy he's making another zombie movie.

capncnut
    I reiterate, I thought Diary Of The Dead was okay, and I'd rather GAR would make something else other than par zombie flicks but hey, if he's happy then I'm happy.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I reiterate, I thought Diary Of The Dead was okay, and I'd rather GAR would make something else other than par zombie flicks but hey, if he's happy then I'm happy.
    Thats the problem,most people just want him to make zombie movies.Do you really think anyone is going to give him money to make a movie thats not about zombies?And thats a shame,cause he make some really good non zombie movies too.

capncnut
    Well a number of projects have flown his way, such as Solitary Isle for example, which was said to be a horrorfied Lost clone. Also, he has expressed interest in making a legitimate Creepshow sequel. I think Romero on name alone could generate enough funds in regards to making a movie outside of the zombie genre for sure.

But everything is good for him inside the zombie genre for now, so I'm sure he'll do the obligatory (and par) Diary trilogy before tackling something new.

Super Moderator

UK
    It's working great, my friend. Thanks for asking!!

I'm not a fan at all of the first person perspective thing. I won't say it really killed Diary for me, but it sure didn't help. I felt like the whole movie was coming to me through a tunnel and I couldn't see what I wanted to see or could've seen given a third person perspective or a mixed perspective. I agree that it's good in short bursts or to bring home specific points. But the whole movie? It felt like a gimmick to me. And like most gimmicks one use is about all they're good for.
    I think a combination of both worlds would have been ideal - as in, the hand-held vibe but non-first-person-view - so you'd have the immediacy and faster filming experience of hand held, but the coverage of traditional filming.

I think that would be the best angle/view personally, because indeed, first person is limiting.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I think a combination of both worlds would have been ideal - as in, the hand-held vibe but non-first-person-view - so you'd have the immediacy and faster filming experience of hand held, but the coverage of traditional filming.

I think that would be the best angle/view personally, because indeed, first person is limiting.
    Can you speak to what, as a filmmaker, GAR was buying himself by going with a total first person perspective? I mean, as a movie-goer I don't get it. Was he trying to add intensity? Was it purely to reinforce the message? Was it a gimmick?

Or asked another way, what would he have given up by showing third-person stuff here and there. In the barn, them driving up to the hospital, etc. He used the security cameras at the black compound and in the "fortress" mansion to do that anyway. He also used news clips that were obviously from a third-person perspective. There were zombies shambling around as if there was no cameraman.

Super Moderator

UK
    Diary is supposed to be someone's documentary, made within that universe - "The Death of Death". The film would be pointless if third person stuff was bunged in willy nilly here and there, so it has to all be subjective camera.

The other footage - the gathered stuff, be it CCTV or online - makes sense within the story, and is stuff accessible by the protagonists.

The whole point of the movie is the YouTube generation angle of the story, in such a situation there would no doubt be such activity going on - whether someone would make an entire documentary is another thing, but that has to happen in order to have an assembled film for us to view in the cinema/on DVD.

It's not reinforcing the message, it is PART of the message, of the point of the movie. A movie that is specifically looking at the YouTube way of life wouldn't make much sense in objective camera view.

Now, with Diary 2, the log line info seems to make it more about the story the characters are going through, rather than the story AND the central issues, which is why I was talking about it'd be neat if it sat somewhere in between subjective and objective - all hand-held, but none of it first person (or mostly none of it).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Hoosier View Post

That's not the point. If he makes a crappy film he's gonna get called on it.

This reminds me of a sports story. Michael Jordan Is the greatest player to ever lace up a pair of basketball sneakers. When he retired in 98' his legacy was cemented. Then he decided to come back in 01' And his legacy was tainted. Fans didn't want to see anything less than superman, which he was.

It's the same with Gar. After the first 3 films he was the undisputed king/Godfather of the genre. He decided to take another go at it and he tainted his legacy.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"