Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Hobbit" (film)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Yeah there were several good ones in the 1980s, but those were all before Willow. My point is that Willow was the last until the LoTR and Potter movies came out. That was a drought of well over a decade.
    Really? There must have been something surely?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Really? There must have been something surely?
    Well, admittedly the "even halfway decent" criterion is rather subjective. :P Here's Wikipedia's list of fantasy films from the 199s. Some might rank a few films from this list above Willow. Dragonheart, possibly? Hook? Seems pretty bare to me, though, for fantasy like we're talking about here.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Well, admittedly the "even halfway decent" criterion is rather subjective. :P Here's Wikipedia's list of fantasy films from the 199s. Some might rank a few films from this list above Willow. Dragonheart, possibly? Hook? Seems pretty bare to me, though, for fantasy like we're talking about here.
    See, DragonHeart was an attempt at High Fantasy that went all Kiddie. Hook. .was Peter Pan. . more Fairy tale than a High Fantasy. . sword and Sorcery type story. I would say, the 90's were pretty dry.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    See, DragonHeart was an attempt at High Fantasy that went all Kiddie. Hook. .was Peter Pan. . more Fairy tale than a High Fantasy. . sword and Sorcery type story. I would say, the 90's were pretty dry.
    Technically those all fall under the heading of "Fantasy".

To expect every Fantasy movie coming out to adhere to a Tolkeinian or Conanistic vibe is limiting and damaging to the genre.

(Conanistic? I better get some coffee)
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Oh I agree. . all Fantasy. . .but Decent Adult fare? nah. I never expect all Fantasy to fall under that category. . .not at all. . . . .but I would like the continuation of decent movies under that category. I mean. . I love zombies movies, and I want them to make more GOOD zombie movies. But do I think that all horror movies should be zombie movies? I don't remember restricting the entire genre with a desire for more good serious adult fantasy movies. . . .

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    To expect every Fantasy movie coming out to adhere to a Tolkeinian or Conanistic vibe is limiting and damaging to the genre.
    Right, not every fantasy movie needs to fit that mold. But asking for at least one every decade or so doesn't seem so unreasonable.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Looking over the Wikipedia list there. . . The 13th Warrior. . . that was pretty decent. . .I wouldn't call it fantasy tho. . . .not really. . . .it was a more "realistic" telling of Beowulf with a tribe of Neanderthals taking the place of Grendle. Still. . .Pretty good movie.

United States
    Right, not every fantasy movie needs to fit that mold. But asking for at least one every decade or so doesn't seem so unreasonable.
    Personally I would like more than one every decade. . .but I'll take what I can get. Let's get a remake of Hawk the Slayer with some money behind it. . . . .I'd go for that!!

Administrator

England
    Seems Jackson is confirmed to direct... With a budget of $500,000,000!!!!! dollars

Guess they just need to get the unions sorted now!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Seems Jackson is confirmed to direct...
    Cool by me I would have welcomed a slightly different take, but this is still great news in my book.

With a budget of $500,000,000!!!!! dollars
    That's a shedload of zeros!
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 06-Oct-2010 at 02:22 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Two films at 250 million each. Sounds about right for big blockbusters these days. Hopefully they'll turn out good so Jackson can get back to the smaller films he does best. Still waiting on his promised big budget splatter film...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Two films at 250 million each.
    Good point, forgot they were breaking it up and just assumed that the total was for one whopping film, which scared e a bit, because that much money for one film buys waaaay too much green-ghost cgi, for my tastes

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Officially greenlit this week

In the agreement completed this week, Jackson's deal was finalized and MGM and Warner Brothers agreed to give the project its long-awaited greenlight. The greenlight means that millions of global fans for the revered J.R.R. Tolkien property can look forward to a prequel to ‘The Lord of the Rings,’ which was one of the most successful movie franchises in movie history.

Jackson was already on board to write and produce "The Hobbit." But because of financial turmoil at MGM, which owns half of the franchise together with Warners' New Line Cinema, the project became one of the most torturous in Hollywood history.

I'm surprised MGM is going ahead with it. Being in huge financial trouble and all...

Administrator

England
    Greenlight Jackson directing! So I would hope that means the same team as LOTR

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47057

---------- Post added 22-Oct-2010 at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 16-Oct-2010 at 04:37 PM ----------

Cast news...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47150
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Looking over the Wikipedia list there. . . The 13th Warrior. . . that was pretty decent. . .I wouldn't call it fantasy tho. . . .not really. . . .it was a more "realistic" telling of Beowulf with a tribe of Neanderthals taking the place of Grendle. Still. . .Pretty good movie.
    thats a great movie, been on bcc3 a lot recently, totally awesome.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

i think the dude playing biblo was wise to pick it over another series of sherlock, if ones going to make his career known worldwide its gonna be this.

Plus i hear tell Mckellin and serkis are both reprising there roles as gollum and Gandlaf. Because honestly, who else could do the same job as his performance as gandalf the grey?

i'm pretty fucking excited at that. but also get the feeling this could have been in production 2 or 3 years ago if every sorted all this shared license problems and the like faster, y'know?