Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead: Episode 2: "Guts" (SPOILERS!)

Twitching

United States
    Maybe you're ALL on the right track,
    What if Zombie "Prey Recognition" is based on multiple pieces of information, that when COMBINED trigger an attack? For example: Zombies tend to move very slowly, with many of their muscles slack and their balance seeming a bit off. This could be what we call "The Sight Factor". Ie: Zombie instinct tells them that two-legs who move like them aren't likely food. Zombies tend to reek of gore/blood and waste, with an element of rot. Again, pre-programmed instinct could flag this as "The Scent Factor", in which that which smells rotten and gore-covered like them is not food. Moving along, zombie instinct recognizes that other zombies make short, or at best long single-note/sound/pitch noises, such as groans/wheezes/growls. Making sounds imitative of these could fool the "Sound Factor" of their instinct.

Finally, like many predators, zombie instinct may have a trigger that says "If it runs/tries to avoid me/us, it's food." Much like turning your back and moving away from a big cat, or running from an aggressive dog can move the encounter from a tense expression of hostility to an outright attack.

Taking this theory to its logical conclusion, Individual(s) who a) Move like zombies, b) Reek like zombies, c) Sound like zombies, and, finally, Don't try to evade the zombies, and remain calm as they continue to mimic the Sight/Sound/Scent-based zombie behaviors Could very well avoid triggering an attack/predatory response from the zombies around them since at that moment nothing about them fits the profile in the Undead Instinct Template of what they (the zombies) identify as prey.

Non-sentient/unthinking or not, the zombies MUST BE able to discriminate between their own kind and live human prey. If they didn't have such a capacity then every zombie who died of a very minor bite (that they later sickened, died and reanimated due to) and ISN'T covered in gore because it hasn't succeeded in acquiring a Prey-item would get mobbed and chewed on by their own kind.

One way or another, understood or not, it's only common sense that such undead predators must have a prey-recognition capacity. If it's a basic multi-part mechanism like the theoretical one I explained, all well and good because it's simple enough. However, what if it's a less cut and dried or more complex mechanism that you either can't reason out and thus evade the basis of, or one which you can do nothing about?

For example, what if the zombies have become sensitive to the "aura"/electromagnetic field which can be visually captured by Kirlian Photography, or even (like sharks) are in possession of a sensitivity to the bio-electrical discharges and the resultant low-level corona of energy created by the actions/movement of living muscles? If that was the case, it would explain the infamous but inexplicable ability of zombies to somehow "sniff out" structures in which multiple human beings are trying to law low inside of, wouldn't it?

So there's plenty of potential ways a zombie could identify prey without having the reasoning power of a field mouse. Conversely, like everything else perception-related, the more complex the zombie's prey-recognition mechanism is, the more potential means of defeating/misleading it that exist.

So no, didn't have a prob with "fooling" the zombies during Rick and Glen's "zombie walk"....course that's just personal taste.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yes but having the guts on them didn't make them look like zombies. It just made them look like, well, humans with guts on them.

That being the case it would imply that smell is the determining factor by which they distinguish their prey.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    If I had to pick one as being mroe silly than the other....it's the zombies having a sense of smell. That's more outlandish than the bikers being overly confident...
    It's not only a sense of smell.

It's a sense of smell so powerful that they can "smell" a living person from a dead person, even in a mass of dead people.

It's a bloody stupid idea.

In fact I rank it up there with the 100 yard dash zombies from Yawn 04.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Norway
    If I were blind and standing in a pack of zombies, I would not only be eaten but I would not be able to smell living people besides me. So if the smell is key then they have a better sense of smell than humans. However I think a combination of all the senses are necessary for a zombie to discern who is a zombie and who is dinner. Sight, smell and sound. They dont need to be stupid when it comes to noticing humans, they could be like autistics good at some thing but bad at other things.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Who's to say that the plague does not cause some olfactory mutation by which they can detect living flesh from dead?

Is that so far fetched? I mean, we're already talking about the dead walking...

Twitching

United States
    Umm,
    Not to be confrontational, but didn't I just suggest a multi-faceted Prey Recognition mechanism as a possible explanation of how zombies determine who to chew and who to ignore/stagger alongside of in search of someone to chew?

That, and if a virus were going to mutate an undead's capabilities far beyond the human extreme in some respect, the mechanisms I mentioned would be far more efficient than simply an acute sense of smell that would be CONSTANTLY barraged/smothered by the smell of rot, gore and decay.

I still put forward that if it isn't a COMBINATION of Sight/Sound/Smell at work, then it's something even more precise and indisputable. I have difficulty blaming just scent though, else why as many have pointed out did a bit of rain make the critical difference? After all, we don't see zombies mass-attacking either other during every rainstorm. Something ELSE in whole or part must be the trigger identifying prey.

Ireland
    Well, as somebody once said "Death is a disability, it's not a superpower".

It's a sentiment I agree with wholeheartedly.

They're rotting re-animated corpses, not uber monsters. How they "sense" their prey should be simple. It's the guy whose running away from them. That's the only thing they need to spring them into a frenzy. They shouldn't be able to smell things that would be impossible for a fully functional human being and they shouldn't be able to run the 4 minute mile. They also shouldn't have x-ray vision, invisibility or be able to fly.

They're supposed to be dead flesh, that's still rotting away...

...and that should include their olfactory nerves.

The bottom line is, is that it was was just an ill-thought out concept from Kirkman.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 11-Nov-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    There's also another possibility... that the characters and audience assumed that the Walkers were sensing pray based on a sense of smell, but they actually weren't. Would explain why the rain (or more likely, the running) did somehow cause the breathers to become detected, even though that wouldn't have really affected their scent. People make incorrect assumptions all the time that have a desired effect, but because of a different reason than the people think.
    Last edited by Gryphon; 11-Nov-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added more :P

Super Moderator

United States
    Water + sonar-capable zombies = location of future victims

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    gryphon's got a good point and I had considered that as well. Maybe rick was wrong and it wasn't smell at all. Hell....as someone else mentioned, maybe it was just because they were acting dead much like the characters in Shaun. I'm only up to about issue 25 in the comics, but I believe it's never really settled in there either(the part this scene is based on, anyway). Rick believes it's the smell, but maybe it's just because they were creeping along at a dead man's pace rather than running and screaming...
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Nov-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: .

United States
    well, didn't think this was worthy of starting another thread, but AMC has apparently decided to cancel their original series, rubicon. i never bothered watching a single episode and it didn't look at all interesting to me. so that's cool, now i won't have to ever sit down and watch all the first season to catch up on it.

and this means a bigger budget for AMC's other great original series', those being The Walking Dead, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've never heard of anyone really caring about Rubicon. It's always like "Breaking Bad and Mad Men are phenomenal! Never seen that Rubi-whatsit."

I don't even remember ever seeing it on the air. When did air? Three in the morning? Or maybe they just never advertised it...
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Nov-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've never heard of anyone really caring about Rubicon.
    I remember hearing how thoroughly unimpressed a few of my friends were with Rubicon, too, and I just never gave it a chance.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    it aired during the normal timeslot for their originals shows, sundays at 10/9c. its first (and only) season aired this year between season 3 of breaking bad and season 4 of mad men.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    anyone know how the episode 2 ratings did?