Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Blu Ray and DVD Release

Undisclosed
    I pre-ordered the blu-ray for $27. I'm not thrilled that there aren't alot of extras but I'm the type who watches the extras one time and then never bothers with them again. I have over 1,300 dvds and over 200 blu-rays. This will be my first television series in my collection. That says alot for me. I absolutely LOVE this show and can't wait to have that blu-ray in my greedy little fingers!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zomtom View Post
    I pre-ordered the blu-ray for $27. I'm not thrilled that there aren't alot of extras but I'm the type who watches the extras one time and then never bothers with them again. I have over 1,300 dvds and over 200 blu-rays. This will be my first television series in my collection. That says alot for me. I absolutely LOVE this show and can't wait to have that blu-ray in my greedy little fingers!!
    Same here. I watched the extras on all my Blu Rays... once. Watched the movies several times, though... maybe Day of the Dead too many times...

England
    Quote Originally Posted by zomtom View Post
    Welcome Zomtom

Definately giving this a miss. Im an extras whore, and quite frankly, not including even one commentary is unacceptable for me to give over cash for this. Only Uncle George gets that loyalty from me.
    Im going to go my usual route instead and i'll let you people know whether i agree with the pic and sound quality in a few hours

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Well, i've watched the first episode and its mixed feelings for me.
    I thought the broadcast version was quite good bearing in mind the look they were going for and parts of that jumped out at me and made me go wow. There are a lot of soft shots in the pilot and they are no better here. Generally i didn't notice much improvement with the bluray apart from when Rick enters the city. Detail is excellent and the crane shot pull back on the swarming zombies is crystal clear. The dark scenes with Morgan and Duane in the house are also noticably clearer and colour is much better all around.
    Audio is difficult to judge yet because there has only been a few gunshots and ambient music but the dialogue is spot on and again crystal clear.

Btw the opening scene with Rick pulling up in the cruiser is a great homage to Night. Not sure why its taken me this long to make the connection

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

OK. After watching episode 2, this has become a definate purchase for me. The video and audio really shine in this episode. It was probably a stylistic choice by Darabont and the DP for the pilot to have lots of soft shots. There are very few ones here and as a result the bluray is a big improvement over the broadcast version. The colour reproduction is excellent resulting in a much more balanced picture. Very impressed.
    The audio is also a big step up as well. The coming storm is always in the background building in intensity and menace. Still waiting for the shotgun blasts and chaos in ep4 though. That will be the real test of how good the audio is.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 26-Feb-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: hmmmmmmm
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm gonna play the stickler and say "fuck that". They're still saved on my DVR.

Until they give some REAL special features, AMC and Anchor Bay can count me out.

It's really insane considering this is their biggest show yet and their "lesser" shows have had better special features. I'm banking on a future release before Season Two. Slightly better video quality doesn't make it worth the purchase, imo...

England
    I agree. If people are not bothered about an upgrade in pic and audio quality then the broadcast 1080i version should be sufficient for most. Still gutted about the lack of new extras though. Just 1 commentary would make it more appealing to a lot more people.

MY HOME CINEMA

Just been bitten

United States
    The lackt of audio commentaries is profoundly disappointing. They're my favourite special feature. It's just bizarre of AMC not to put any on. Mad Men (which I've purchased every season of) manages not one, but two commentary tracks for each episode. I'll rent TWD, but I won't buy it unless they put out a version with better special features.
    God is Santa Claus for adults

United States
    Yeah, if I made a show as kickass as this was, I'd have no trouble filling several commentary tracks up with my endless babble.
    I guess some people just aren't into it. Look at Matt and Trey of South Park. It's like pulling teeth to get them to do a few minutes of commentary for each episode of a show that made them rich as flipdoodle. Gazillionnaires, even.
    I love commentaries, and it's kind of become habit to put one on and fall asleep to it nightly.
    I need more useless information.
    Now, please.
    Stop being stingy.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    I received the Blu-Ray press kit a few days ago. It came in a bloody-boot-print-stamped envelope, and I wonder how freaked out my mail carrier was...

England
    Another review of the bluray here

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4289...ngdead_s1.html

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Sevin View Post
    I received the Blu-Ray press kit a few days ago. It came in a bloody-boot-print-stamped envelope, and I wonder how freaked out my mail carrier was...
    LOL perfect

United States
    just viewed my local best buy flyer, they are saying 17.99 for the dvd, 22.99 for blu-ray.

United States
    I bought the first season two days ago, and watched the first episode last night. I liked it but feel jipped about the total episodes. Six, are you kidding me? Since when does a season merely have six episodes?
    I feel like I'm going to have to ration them and try to savor such a small morsel, like imagine if I was in my bomb shelter and a stranger came knocking.
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jded View Post
    I bought the first season two days ago, and watched the first episode last night. I liked it but feel jipped about the total episodes. Six, are you kidding me? Since when does a season merely have six episodes?
    Welcome to 2010....

Six episodes is actually better than most shows. Usually a pilot episode is ordered and then if it's effective, they order a full first season. In TWD's case they approved six episodes WITHOUT that initial pilot. So AMC actually took a huge leap of faith and gave us more than normal...
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Mar-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Welcome to 2010....

Six episodes is actually better than most shows. Usually a pilot episode is ordered and then if it's effective, they order a full first season. In TWD's case they approved six episodes WITHOUT that initial pilot. So AMC actually took a huge leap of faith and gave us more than normal...
    Yeah but still, think back to the days of The X-Files. You got roughly 24 episodes in a season. What, is TWD short on ideas? You have to wonder. But then how many freakin issues of the comic are there already? That's more than enough to where they could have given us a dozen to chew on.
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wait....Apparently you don't understand what happened with this series...

If they had taken the normal route and ordered a pilot, we wouldn't have seen a first season until much later. The normal practice is to have a pilot episode for the studio executives to review and if they approve of said pilot, they order a first season. So in the case of TWD, they skipped that process and approved six epiosdes straight off the bat.

We were extremely lucky to get that.....
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Mar-2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: .