Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Django Unchained (film)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Damn, we're on the same wavelength today, Bass.
    What, you like Twilight too?

*head about to explode*

WTF is going on here!? Who are you people and what did you do with my HPotD brethren?!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    What, you like Twilight too?

*head about to explode*

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States

Hey man, I'm dumb as a brick - if I couldn't understand and comprehend what you typed, what do you think a graphic like that is going to do to my brain?

It's cool Aces, I got it. You and bass secretly love Twilight. It's ok. We understand, and we promise we won't tell anyone else about your penchant for sparkly, doe-eyed, teenage vampires in love.

Last edited by LouCipherr; 15-Jan-2013 at 07:29 PM.

United States

It's cool Aces, I got it. You and bass secretly love Twilight. It's ok. We understand, and we promise we won't tell anyone else about your penchant for sparkly, doe-eyed, teenage vampires in love.
    Now Lou, we must not judge. Just because....wait!, What tha'! *GEORGE LUCAS!!!* *WHATTA YOU DOIN' HERE!!! *I.....

*NO!!!! BAD GEORGE LUCAS!!! BAD!!!*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 16-Jan-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Ireland
    Feckin hell...I actually LoL'd.

I'm all set for the day now!
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 19-Jan-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: I was pissed at the time and no one wants to hear me bitch :p

Administrator

England
    Watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

However, I thought Tarantino's cameo was uncharacteristically quite poor!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

However, I thought Tarantino's cameo was uncharacteristically quite poor!
    His one-off stuff usually is. He's a pretty wooden guy. Best role I've seen him in, which he was great for, was Jimmie in Pulp Fiction and that was because his 'woodeness' helped with the deadpan delivery.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Jimmie in Pulp Fiction
    When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead Nigger Storage"?

Classic line!

He was good in "From Dusk Till Dawn!"
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead Nigger Storage"?
    "You know why you didn't see that sign? Because storing dead niggers ain't my fu*king business, that's why!"

Loved his part in Pulp Fiction, but yeah, his "cameos" (if we wanna call 'em that) in Django really weren't anything to write home about.

Super Moderator

UK
    Still to see Django Unchained - but want to.

I re-watched Death Proof (in the Grindhouse cut) and Inglourious Basterds this week though. He's alright in Death Proof as he doesn't have much to do in the bit of the movie he's in, he's really only got one proper scene (the Chartreuse bit).

Fine with him in Pulp Fiction - fine with him in Reservoir Dogs - also very much fine with him in From Dusk Till Dawn (good point, Neil) ... perhaps not great performances as he's not a professional actor, but I've never been bothered by his cameos/bit parts as some folks out there have been. Not seen his cameo in Django yet, mind you ... so we'll see how I feel about that in due course.

Back to IB - I still think 15 minutes could have been trimmed out of it at the script state, and perhaps with some clever editing even at the edit suite stage, but it's a damned good movie that. I haven't watched it since 2009, and this was my third viewing - a damn good flick. A bit too talky in places, yes, but damn good and it feels appropriately epic.

I will concede that, yes, a lot of dialogue in Death Proof ultimately doesn't 'go anywhere', but on the other hand it's what I consider to be a "hang out" movie - I hang out with these characters and shoot the shit - kind of like with Dazed & Confused. I'm not comparing them as movies etc, so don't get your panties in a bunch, but just in the general vibe of hanging out with the characters like a fly on the wall. DP is a relaxed sort of flick - until the petrol starts pumping - and I've said it before and I'll say it again. Kurt Russell kicks flippin' arse as Stuntman Mike. Mysterious, then charming, then downright creepy, then flat-out dangerous, then sort of a charming rogue, then a wailing pussy who gets what he's owed - a crackin' performance.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I re-watched Death Proof
    MZ - you're a closet masochist, aren't you? Admit it. It's ok, you're among friends...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Kurt Russell kicks flippin' arse as Stuntman Mike. Mysterious, then charming, then downright creepy, then flat-out dangerous, then sort of a charming rogue, then a wailing pussy who gets what he's owed - a crackin' performance.

Hell yeah

Super Moderator

UK
    MZ - you're a closet masochist, aren't you? Admit it. It's ok, you're among friends...

My enjoyment of Death Proof is entirely unconnected from my time with Mistress Olga and her dungeon of sauciness ... ... wait! I've said too much...

Hell yeah
    Top banana.