Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal thread

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    AC/DC is not a metal band; they're just dirty, bluesy, rock & roll... not to mention possibly the catchiest band in history.

Also, the song "Cyanide" by Metallica SUUUUUUUUUCKS. I couldn't make it all the way through.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Well that means Black Sabbath aren't metal....they fit that criteria.

ACDC write loud, anthemic rock songs based around solid beats and distorted guitars, they're a metal band. The very least you could call them would be "Hard Rock"....but then Judas Priest have fit that criteria and have always been thought of as a metal band.

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I agree and when Borland bounces them Bizkit choruses, it's a f**king moshfest. As s**t as the band was.

Yes, before you peeps interject, I know Slayer and Pantera rule. I'm just saying...
    You know Bore-land only plays a riff once, then dupes it over and over in pro-tools for recording?
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 23-Aug-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Nooo... you can not compare Black Sabbath and Judas Priest to AC/DC; the music isn't even remotely similar. I suggest you go listen to an album by each of these bands, then you'll realize the two are metal and the one simply isn't.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Nooo... you can not compare Black Sabbath and Judas Priest to AC/DC; the music isn't even remotely similar. I suggest you go listen to an album by each of these bands, then you'll realize the two are metal and the one simply isn't.
    heavy blues - ACDC (any album)
    heavy blues - Black Sabbath (any album)
    heavy blues - Judas Priest (who change every album but in particular Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings of Destiny)

Just because ACDC don't use the "magic three" (the three notes used in War Pigs by BS - which is a staple of heavy metal music) doesn't mean they aren't metal...the very least you could call them would be heavy rock...but that's a bit of a push. Deep Purple are heavy rock...Jimi is standard "Rock"...ACDC are metal, they play fast, blistering riffs, anthems, and just look at their audience!!

which if you think about it...Kiss would be more "heavy rock"....ACDC are heavy man....just not thrashy....not brutal, but still very metal...

But any band that uses Gibson SGs and plays to an audience of leather, denim and stud wearing rockers are a metal band....IMO!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bah, we extremely disagree. No offense, but, that post completely null in voids anything you have to say about metal to me.

My even bigger gripe? The fact that you say Deep Purple ISN'T metal...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Bah, we extremely disagree. No offense, but, that post completely null in voids anything you have to say about metal to me.

My even bigger gripe? The fact that you say Deep Purple ISN'T metal...
    Why cos they use double bass drumming once on one album? You gotta let go of the skin man, it's what's inside. How can deep purple be more metal than ACDC?!?

lol that's bizarre!!!

Back in Black vs Fireball = Back in black is metal!!! Fireball is just a fast rock song, although defo a blueprint for early metal...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I told myself I wouldn't argue with you any more on this, but I can't resist...

Speed picking is also a huge part of being metal. How many songs do Deep Purple speed pick on? Countless. How many songs to AC/DC speed pick on? I can't think of one...

Now, I'm not saying that's the only thing that makes one metal and one not, but it's just another point in my case.

England
    I know they arent metal,but ive got right into spiderbait lately,not a bad little band really!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I told myself I wouldn't argue with you any more on this, but I can't resist...

Speed picking is also a huge part of being metal. How many songs do Deep Purple speed pick on? Countless. How many songs to AC/DC speed pick on? I can't think of one...

Now, I'm not saying that's the only thing that makes one metal and one not, but it's just another point in my case.
    Yeah I'll give you that.

But how much speed picking in Sabbath? Not much

hehe I guess we can wrap up the discussion like this...

You'd find ACDC in the metal and the rock sections of HMV....

You'd also find Sabbath in both sections...

and probably Priest....

so yeah...it can be both, for all intents and purposes...but you're wrong though hehehe

you know I love you MikeP
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 26-Aug-2008 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

capncnut
    Mmm, Highway Star by Deep Purple is defo metal.

Just like Uriah Heep is metal - all the way!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Mmm, Highway Star by Deep Purple is defo metal.

Just like Uriah Heep is metal - all the way!
    ahhh Uriah Heep...haven't thought about them in years!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Yeah I'll give you that.

But how much speed picking in Sabbath? Not much

hehe I guess we can wrap up the discussion like this...

You'd find ACDC in the metal and the rock sections of HMV....

You'd also find Sabbath in both sections...

and probably Priest....

so yeah...it can be both, for all intents and purposes...but you're wrong though hehehe

you know I love you MikeP
    Okay, you're probably right. I guess it really comes down to each persons preference... and what the band themselves say (AC/DC says they're NOT metal ).

I love you, too.

PS:
    I am going to see CARCASS in a week and a half in NYC!!!

Kazakhstan
    I'm seeing Carcass in November, the last ever show yessssssssssss

Berzerker & Napalm Death are also playing the same show, it's going to be a wee bit of a large one

But yeah, I wasn't saying ACDC were metal, I just mean they hit the metal spot in the brain & are pretty metal in many superficial ways, but they are still a classic rock band with an honorary metalhood

Indeed, I did and I'm quite stoked about it. Dunno if you saw any of the footage from ETP but Borland nailed that solo in 'Sweet dreams' like a demon. Setlist was a smasher too.
    That was in fact the very video I was thinking about, it was ****ing great, they need to come back to the UK soon, the setlist & lineup is great
    Last edited by _liam_; 27-Aug-2008 at 02:04 PM.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Kazakhstan
    update, damnation fest now looks like this

Sigh (WTF! japanese black metal, first uk gig in 15 years)
    Cathedral (YES! ex napalm death/rise above records owner's british doom band)
    Berzerker
    Carcass
    Napalm Death
    Taint

and a bunch of others (well over a dozen death/black/punk bands)

leeds, november, 29 quid advance

GET ON

Also Metallica is playing the 02 on september 15th, and it's a fiver - but only if you have the hookup secret show like
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    That was in fact the very video I was thinking about, it was ****ing great, they need to come back to the UK soon, the setlist & lineup is great
    I have always thought of Borland as a riffster and not a soloist but damn, that solo was schweet!